Combinator Help

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

26 May 2015

hi
I'm a bit lost when it comes to combinators. I have made a start up template with drums, bass etc and basically made empty combinators for them.

Then I drag in the inst to the relevant combinators to start working. I thought this would lead to a more compact rack/sequencer

However I use Push as my main midi controller. If I drag a subtractor say into the bass combinator, I still have to add a subtractor track in the sequencer to control it via push. Is this the way it's meant to work or am I missing something?

Should I just use a particular instrument as a placeholder in my template rather than a blank combinator?

Cheers
Graeme

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2015

It is common for a device that is dragged directly into a Combinator to NOT have a track assigned, the assumption being that it will be "played" by the Combinator's track.

So yes, you will have to add a sequencer track first before the device can be controlled independently from the Combi.

Another issue that may come up using this approach: what if you want to use two Combinators for a bass line? You can't put a Combinator inside another Combinator without loosing the independent control (and the front panel assignments), so your particular template has some serious limitations you may run into one day (if not already). 

Using Combinators in this way (strictly for organization) leads to "control" issues as you have discovered, as the Combinator was made more for control than organization IMO. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

graeme75

26 May 2015

cheers for the quick reply and info regarding combinators. My template has 3 blank combos for bass 1 bass 2 bass 3 etc. Is there a more optimal solution?G

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2015

graeme75 wrote:cheers for the quick reply and info regarding combinators. My template has 3 blank combos for bass 1 bass 2 bass 3 etc. Is there a more optimal solution?G
Another approach would be to only create the Combinators as needed, which is super quick to do. The cases where a Combi helps with organization is when more than one device is used, for example when you create an FX chain or stack instruments. But when using a single Subtractor there's no need for a Combi (or maybe I misunderstood your intended use?).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

graeme75

26 May 2015

I was wanting to try and create an extensive template where tracks are already in the sequencer for drums bass , bass arp, synths etc
I thought the combination route would be the way to go. As far as I understand you can't have a track in the sequencer without an associated rack device. Therefore if I had a blank combinator I could drag in whatever device I fancied rather than putting a subtractor or Thor or whatever?

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2015

graeme75 wrote:I was wanting to try and create an extensive template where tracks are already in the sequencer for drums bass , bass arp, synths etc I thought the combination route would be the way to go. As far as I understand you can't have a track in the sequencer without an associated rack device. Therefore if I had a blank combinator I could drag in whatever device I fancied rather than putting a subtractor or Thor or whatever?
Yes, as long as you are ok with the limitations you discuss in your first post. Other than the issues that plague you, you're good to go! For me, it makes more sense to add the Combinators as needed, for the reasons you've already discovered. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Kazz

27 May 2015

Selig's free ReMark RE is also a good way to help organize/label things if that's what you're looking for. Then you can use Combinators after the ReMarks for other reasons than just organization. :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 May 2015

Hi

Selig is right (as always :) ). Combis are really for Controlling several things as though they were one. Reason has a great way to organize by type and that is the Rack itself.

I pop Global things in the 1st (far left) Rack, under the Masters
Rhythm tracks like Drums, Bass go in the 2nd Rack
Melodic instruments (incl general arpeggios etc) go in the 3rd Rack
Sound Effects go in the 4th Rack

You could save your Template to have three Bass Synth/Combis in the 2nd Rack and using R8 Drag & Drop will let you swap them as needed.

I use a Template but it only saves my Master Suite, a Reverb Send (I still debate that) and my general working preferences. This is how Reason opens or creates a New project. I looked into more detailed templating to suit my desire for order but it quickly became a noose. Every piece would start with the same Thor which stopped me from having to be inspired and became frustratingly dull fast.

Over time you will learn what you need next and that comes best from doing. Every piece will be a bit different and part of the joy of composing comes from working with those differences.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

graeme75

28 May 2015

Hi 

Thanks for all the info. I have attached a dropbox link to my template that I have made if anyone is 

a) interested
b) able to offer any constructive criticism for a more optimal solution

This template was created in Reason 8.2 and contains the following RE's

AutoArp
A-List Acoustic
A-List Electric
Radical Piano

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/177 ... 9.9.reason

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Graeme

chimp_spanner

28 May 2015

I loaded up an old project of mine today in which I'd used the insert section of the mix channel as a container for the instrument + fx. Don't know if there are any downsides to this but it sure made for a tidy rack!

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 May 2015

It took me most of the day to get back to this but you both walked straight into the an article I wanted to write so have a read and it may help make some sense of things 

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/05/29 ... organized/

@ Mr Prez: seeing you have R8.2 then your basic idea is sound enough, just Drag & Drop a whole other instrument over the template instrument and it gets replaced. Don't try dragging into a Combi in this instance or you will make a mess.

@ Mr Spanner: technically no but it makes for a more confusing flow as routing effectively goes in a circle.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

graeme75

30 May 2015

Hi Benedict

Very interesting article thank you

Benedict
Competition Winner

30 May 2015

Thanks

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Gaja

30 May 2015

I always start with a template (starting place was empty+fx).
In it are two reverb units and two delay units attached to sends 1-4 on the ssl.
A custom click combinator (and a bunch of click patterns for straight and odd meters like 7/8) - I had to do this, because Reason outputs the click only on
output 1 - 2, but our headphone outs are at 9-10...
A Redrum with each channel assigned to a mixer channel.
A couple of audio tracks
And a couple of empty combinators, routed to mix channel devices.
Then I have added some Keyboard overrides, to be able to transport, for when the hand is on the other side of the keyboard (and shortcuts for -20dB dim,
all solo off, all mute off, reset peak in master meter and tap tempo).
And of course I have the master section assigned to rsTouch.
This way I can get started immediately, no matter what I need to do. Whether I want to record live instruments (I also have a template with drum channels for drum recording set up, so I only need to level) or start with a drum pattern or an instrument, I'm ready to go.
I always put my instruments in combinators, because often I find myself wanting to do stuff with the combi's programmer section and then I don't have to set it up.
I love how customizable Reason can be!
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information