PCM waverform

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EddieG

25 May 2015

are there any pcm waveforms in any device anywhere in reason
?
I know I'm in over my head being a guitarist

thankx

stratcatfl in the house !

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 May 2015

Hi

If you are thinking like a ROMpler e.g. Roland or Korg workstation then software is a bit different. Everything is there (gove or take) you just need to find it differently.

You can start with ID8 which is stock with Reason and covers Piano, Strings etc. The sounds are actually good in a mix and very useful, esp when you use Reason's ability to wire things up (like in the real world but more flexible).

Then there is the FSB (Factory Sound Bank) and Orkester libraries which also cover a lot of ground. If you have Reason 8 then the Drag & Drop Browser does really make this a lot easier.

Finally of course you can bring in external samples, in SFZ (as you know), WAV Files and of course ReFills.

If we know what you are trying to achieve we can give more direct answers.

:)

BTW if you can play a guitar then you are one up on me.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

EddieG

25 May 2015

Yes - I wanna create a kind of Korg M1 type sound I saw in CM mag
FSB has these ?
I'm just lost wandering around the FSB - to me there really is a lot of fun nice sounding patches in there

I also found a bunch of SFZs I wanna load into NNXT as well
R7 is drag and drop ? I can drop an SFZ into NNXT ?

THanks

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 May 2015

Hi Eddie

If you haven't already, make sure you read the manuals. May not seem exciting but it will make things so much more fulfilling for you.

R7 isn't as Drag & Drop as R8 but still all the same sound creation functionality.

Korg's M1 was capable of a trillion sounds but the most commonly mentioned is the M1 Dance Piano which was popular in House. There is something similar in ID8 and probably in Piano in FSB.

I would suggest best to start where it counts with a song you want to make or record. Go from the bits you know then start filling in the others. There is honestly more than a lifetime of things to know so practice with purpose is the best method.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

CharlyCharlzz

25 May 2015

PCM is a early sound compression format so there should not be any but there is sampled based instruments .
if you export a sample at a low callity it should sound pretty much PCM I guess (the only PCM I know are the digital sounds in analogue drum machines etc..)
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

EddieG

25 May 2015

THanks Benedict and Charles

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 May 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: PCM is a early sound compression format so there should not be any but there is sampled based instruments .
if you export a sample at a low callity it should sound pretty much PCM I guess (the only PCM I know are the digital sounds in analogue drum machines etc..)
PCM is the representation used for wave files, not sound compression. If the sample rate and bitdepth are low then sure, it will sound retro.

Everything that loads into a sampler is pcm.

CharlyCharlzz

26 May 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote: PCM is a early sound compression format so there should not be any but there is sampled based instruments .
avasopht wrote: PCM is the representation used for wave files, not sound compression. If the sample rate and bitdepth are low then sure, it will sound retro. Everything that loads into a sampler is pcm.
cool ,
i noticed I've sayed BS 10 minutes after this post when I looked into my zoom and found the PCM format at 24bit rate :D  
 they are saying that even wav got PCM but in it , they also talk about LPCM and DPCM but I will not start to read that part before I need too :)

ScuzzyEye

26 May 2015

Headerless files, with the extension .pcm used to be common, in olden times. They usually were mono, 16-bit, 22 kHz, but could have been anything, and without a header, it was a pain to figure out.

But yeah, PCM is the standard way to represent almost all digital audio. (PWM, being another, and DSD being a third.)

CharlyCharlzz

26 May 2015

so everything is first (PCM,PWM or DSD) because of the DAC and need to be exported to become a wav or anything else ?   is it the DAC circuits that make it PCM or PWM or is it a code ?

ScuzzyEye

26 May 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:so everything is first (PCM,PWM or DSD) because of the DAC and need to be exported to become a wav or anything else ?   is it the DAC circuits that make it PCM or PWM or is it a code ?
PCM existed before there were ADCs or DACs. It's basically what's described in the Sampling Theorem that was discovered around 1920.

PWM came about as a sort of analog/digital hybrid. Allowing digital style processes to be applied with analog circuitry. It's not well suited to DSP work, because it requires very high sampling rates. It's better to figure out what a PWM circuit would do, and re-create it in PCM.

DSD is likely the result of Sony wanting a new, patentable process. Like PWM it tries to mimic analog processes in digital form. It also requires very high sampling rates. There's not a lot of knowledge on how to process DSD. Volume control is possible, but even something as simple as a filter, requires conversion to PCM.

So basically while research has been done into other methods of representing audio digitally, PCM continues to be the best way, with a huge amount of mathematical theory and processes behind it.

CharlyCharlzz

26 May 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:so everything is first (PCM,PWM or DSD) because of the DAC and need to be exported to become a wav or anything else ?   is it the DAC circuits that make it PCM or PWM or is it a code ?
ScuzzyEye wrote: PCM existed before there were ADCs or DACs. It's basically what's described in the Sampling Theorem that was discovered around 1920.

PWM came about as a sort of analog/digital hybrid. Allowing digital style processes to be applied with analog circuitry. It's not well suited to DSP work, because it requires very high sampling rates. It's better to figure out what a PWM circuit would do, and re-create it in PCM.

DSD is likely the result of Sony wanting a new, patentable process. Like PWM it tries to mimic analog processes in digital form. It also requires very high sampling rates. There's not a lot of knowledge on how to process DSD. Volume control is possible, but even something as simple as a filter, requires conversion to PCM.

So basically while research has been done into other methods of representing audio digitally, PCM continues to be the best way, with a huge amount of mathematical theory and processes behind it.
this is super interesting , I think I start to anderstand bit depth and sample rate  now :)

EddieG

27 May 2015

WOW

So glad I asked
I have a deeper understanding
that I really dont know shit and should really stick to guitar

• Information