Save and Optimize gives me error message

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sonicbyte

25 May 2015

Hi,

Has anybody got a message like this when use the option to "Save and optimize" in reason? (7.1.2):

"Device not ready"

I used to use that option without problems in the past but since a couple of months I've got that message every time I try to use it... I have all my refills and scratch disk on an external USB HD by the way, may be is a problem with that, but months ago I have no problem with the same setup.

Any ideas ?

Thanks 

ScuzzyEye

25 May 2015

What Save and Optimize does is create a new copy of the file next to the one that currently exists, and once it finishes saving, it deletes the original.

So, is there any reason why you wouldn't be able to create a new copy of the file? Is there enough disk space? Do the file/folder have the right access permissions? Try it by hand, with the OS copy and paste options.

It also wouldn't hurt to run a file system scan/disk scan to make sure there are no errors.

sonicbyte

25 May 2015

Thanks for answering... Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Save and Optimize also deletes unused audio takes / samples and stuff like that, that way reducing the final file size of the session. 
I have lots of space on my disk and is the same disk I use to store my song files, so if where access restrictions I couldn't be able to save files in the first place... And as I said before, this feature works perfectly for me with the same setup (macbook pro 2014 with SSD and External USB HD )

Thanks for any suggestion.

ScuzzyEye

25 May 2015

sonicbyte wrote:Thanks for answering... Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Save and Optimize also deletes unused audio takes / samples and stuff like that, that way reducing the final file size of the session.
It doesn't automatically delete anything, it just writes out a new copy of the file. But what the regular save option doesn't do is discard deleted audio in the middle of a file.

So in a sense it can make a file smaller, but only if you've trimmed/deleted tracks, and told Reason to remove the unused audio. Then do a Save and Optimize.

I think the new file that Reason is writing out before deleting the old is named slightly differently. There are also OS limits to the length of a path. Is is possible that you're many levels deep, with long folder names, and also a long file name? Just throwing out ideas here, because this is indeed a strange issue. Perhaps best to contact the Props. They're more likely to know what's causing it.

• Information