Are the drum sounds in Reason royalty-free?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
2nd Prez

25 May 2015

EDIT: I already read somewhere that they are. I am wondering how much I need to worry about drum sample kits specifically trap ones? If i'm looking for a certain snare can i use or could it be copyrighted. obviously impeach the president snare would be an obvious one but for trap music?

FrankJaeger

25 May 2015

Everything that ships with Reason is royalty free so you can use them with impunity in all of your production needs. If someone is also a user of Reason and happens to use the same sound from the FSB they'd have a hard time suing you over a sample that so many people have access to and if they did, a court wouldn't be able to award them anything since the original creator (Propellerhead) has licensed the sounds to you for purchasing their software.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

The Intrancer

25 May 2015

The copyright restriction applies to those who are using the samples for the purpose of, sample lending / batch distribution / profiting in the context in which they were not licensed for, they are provided to be used in a musical context. You don't own them, you are licensed to use them just the same as with any other music software. An instrumental sound is nigh on impossible to identify the source from anyway, so knowone is gonna question it, why would they..?. You really only need to consider those samples which include vocals (like for example Madonna )or other recognisable sources such as from films. Really it's about legalities and ethics.. and really just a big rabbit hole to dig deep into. Lots of books on this type of stuff and plenty on the web I'd imagine.  

AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

chimp_spanner

25 May 2015

My understanding of most libraries and instruments is that you can use them in any way you like *except* for a derivative or competitive product. Which I guess makes sense because if, for example, the REX loops in Reason are a selling point for a potential customer, then a library or program using anything based on those loops could be seen as an alternative to buying Reason, in a round about way. It's a tricky one though because I'd hazard a guess and say that many of the drum sounds are derived from something else themselves (mangled hardware drum samples, vinyl snippets, etc.). At this late stage in the sample/instrument game I wonder how much out there is truly original content, and how much is old content, re-processed and twisted into something "new"?

Without appearing to advocate anything illegal or unethical, I'd say if you bend and layer the sample into something toootally unrecognisable...you're probably fine. I'm sure many people (and companies) do it. But if it's mega obvious, or just a 1:1 version of the sound, I wouldn't risk it. 

2nd Prez

27 May 2015

Thanks everyone for your responses!!

• Information