Summing to Mono for Mixing Purposes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FrankJaeger

24 May 2015

I'm trying to figure out how to get Reason to sum the tracks to mono so that I can do all of my mixing. I want to mix on a Behringer Behritone (auratone imitation) which only has one input and when you only plug in the left channel trs cable, any sounds from the right channel like reverbs or delays in a patch disappear. I tried unplugging the right channel from the master section in the rack with the same
effect and tried again while leaving my main monitors both plugged in only to have the right channel drop out.

I then tried using a thor's audio inputs to sum both channels into one output and routed that one cable to the I/O section's left output. The I/O section does show only the left channel but I already had everything disconnected at this point and was listening through my Imac's built in speakers so I couldn't tell if it was mono or not.

Other software I have seen had Mono A/B switches built-in. I just wanted to know if the thor way is sufficient, or do any of you have other methods for achieving this task. Thanks in advance.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

MassiveSoundStudios

24 May 2015

You can try using the 'Audio Merger/Splitter Utility'.

Connect your source to the splitter stereo input, then take the L and R stereo copy from one of the 4 copied outputs and connect them to 2 Left merger inputs. Now your stereo signal has been merged to a combined mono output, which outputs from the left output of the merger side of the 'Audio Merger/Splitter'. You can now connect the merger left output to the hardware input/output section.

I hope this helps :)

Edit: The above mentioned method will give you one merged mono signal for one speaker (true mono). If you want to collapse your stereo signal to dual mono, which means you're using both speaker monitors. You can take the merged mono signal output into another Audio Splitter/Merger instance. Connect the collapsed mono signal from the first Audio Merger/Splitter into the second instance splitter L input, then take two copies of the L signal into the hardware I/O L/R output.

Jan 2004

Libraquaricorn

25 May 2015

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I run all my channels of the mix through a single "new output bus" and then set the width of that bus to zero. Is that true mono or not? I do this to spot any phase cancellation...

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 May 2015

I show my method of getting single-point mono in this article. You don't need anything but a tiny bit of wiring.

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/2014/08/15/mixing-in-mono/

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Libraquaricorn

25 May 2015

Benedict wrote:I show my method of getting single-point mono in this article. You don't need anything but a tiny bit of wiring.

Very enlightening, thank you! And I see that i was wrong... I'm digging in to your other tutorials as well. I enjoy your take on mastering, which I still see as a black art, btw... :-D

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 May 2015

Thanks.

There ain't nothing black about Mastering. It is only fear of the unknown. And you should know what you want your track to sound like. 

That said another set of ears are often well worth engaging.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

FrankJaeger

25 May 2015

Benedict wrote:I show my method of getting single-point mono in this article. You don't need anything but a tiny bit of wiring.

I literally found your mastering article right after posting this which had the included information plus the link to this other article which was amazing by the way. I just have one question... You mentioned in the article that you turn the volume down on each of the channels by a few db and on the master section (line 6:2). How do you know exactly how much db since the device works off the traditional reason 0-127 rule?

I prefer mixing at lower volumes anyway to avoid the compression effect our ears naturally have but I'd still like to measure it so when I'm finished I can disconnect and match volume on the master fader and leave the right amount of head room.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 May 2015

Hi

Selig has posted a table here a few times that translates 0-127 to db. I use 79 as the right value for -3db.

I have spoken about mixing quieter elsewhere. I turn my line mixer down and Balance up as I compose & mix so I get a good sounding mix before I try for volume (no chance of mixing into the Limiter). Then as I wind it all back up during Finalizing then I get to hear that it is ok at higher volumes and all that extra oomph is bonus. 

Benedict Roff-Marsh

FrankJaeger

28 May 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi

Selig has posted a table here a few times that translates 0-127 to db. I use 79 as the right value for -3db.

I have spoken about mixing quieter elsewhere. I turn my line mixer down and Balance up as I compose & mix so I get a good sounding mix before I try for volume (no chance of mixing into the Limiter). Then as I wind it all back up during Finalizing then I get to hear that it is ok at higher volumes and all that extra oomph is bonus. 

Thanks Benedict. As always a wealth of knowledge. I also just got Selig's leveler in the outboard rig sale and dun-da-da-duh!!... It has a mono switch on it plus left and right channel pan knobs identical to the way you set up your 6:2 mixer. Looks like it could be a good replacement for the mixer in your mastering chain as well.
Midniite Music

True

28 May 2015

I just put an M-Class Stereo Imager into the Master section with the spread set to mono. Then I program one of the Master buttons to the bypass of the Stereo Imager so I can switch it from the mixer.

• Information