"Reason" to get excited :-)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Raveshaper

24 May 2015

In the many experiments that I've carried out while developing my current projects, I discovered somewhat of an excellent exploit. If you have midi hardware and a short loopback cable, you can use remote surfaces to analyze parameters with a refresh rate of ~29 ms, possibly less. The way it works is the midi hardware recognizes the looped input from an EMI as user feedback. The event handlers fire in response and process the input. To allow for constant analyzation, feed the EMI with a Malstrom triangle wave scaled to 62 on a cv spider, then merge that with the final modulation type on Malstrom scaled to 64. The scripting is entirely up to you and I won't cover that here, although I will be blogging about it elsewhere once I figure it out better. The important thing to understand is that this is a way to create intelligent utilities that can analyze and react to events in both the sequencer and the rack. Sort of like a copilot. For instance, you could isolate tempo information in an audio stem, convert audio to cv, and incorporate it to automatically generate a tempo map based on variations in timing. Etc. I haven't seen other people cover this yet so I wanted to drop the hint.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

KEVMOVE02

24 May 2015

So what's a practical application of this exploit, in musical terms? Could you provide an audio clip of this at work?

Raveshaper

24 May 2015

I'm hard at work developing numerous scripts, two of which will utilize this exploit but each in its own way. Once I have everything assembled I will definitely create a demo of it.

Right now my time is divided between a script called Meta Pads and another I'm calling MIDI Node. This method can be used to create precise modulations whose patterns are complex, or any other type of automation independent parameter adjustment that is not possible in the GUI. I guess it's more for those who want to try things that are avant gard.

It may be possible to use this as an advanced sequencer editor during export, but that has yet to be attempted.

More when I have it.

MirEko

24 May 2015

:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

Raveshaper

24 May 2015

MirEko wrote:Image 
Spot on.

I may not have a demo, but I can put it like this. Let's say you want to be able to do the process shown in Ryan's tempo mapping tutorial video, but you want to have it done automatically instead of putting in point data to make a stem snap to the grid? Just trigger a script to run and have it generated for you. This has the theoretical capability of doing that.

It's difficult to conceptualize because it's not a visual interface, but I'll do my best to come up with some graphics to go along with my demos when they're finished.

Edit: I mean, you can apply algebra, trig, and even piecewise curves in a DAW. That's cool.

• Information