SSL Mixer w/ Redrum, newbie questions, extremely confused!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
NotoriousBEN3

23 May 2015

OK, so i am trying to mix for the first time. I randomly stumbled upon the SSL mixer, which i had no idea even existed (i upgraded from 4.0 to 6.5 fairly recently)!!

So i was still putting 14:2 mixers in throughout my creative process, thinking these were crucial and that my instruments must be connected to these. I then put individual equalizers on each drum in Redrum (ex - i wired in an a separate EQ for the snare, bass, and high hats). Now all of a sudden i pulled up the SSL mixer and instead of having each drum on it's own channel, all it's giving me for my drums is one channel for "Mixer 1." Obviously i want to EQ each drum on it's own, so i have to go back and fix this problem...

My question is, if i undo all the wiring and clear everything up by removing the EQ's and the 14:2 mixer, how do i connect each Redrum track into it's own channel in the SSL mixer? 

Also, are all of the MClass things AND the 14:2 mixer now kind of obsolete with the addition of the SSL mixer? AND if so, how can i see the mixing window that shows the curve with db on one axis and hz on the other axis in the SSL? It looks like in the newer versions of Reason there is a button you can click on the SSL that shows this graph that the MClass EQ shows? I managed to download a spectrum analyzer too, but this is confusing me even more! 

Sorry for any poor descriptions or lack technical terms, i am SO confused trying to mix, this is all new for me!! 

submonsterz

23 May 2015

NotoriousBEN3 wrote:OK, so i am trying to mix for the first time. I randomly stumbled upon the SSL mixer, which i had no idea even existed (i upgraded from 4.0 to 6.5 fairly recently)!!

So i was still putting 14:2 mixers in throughout my creative process, thinking these were crucial and that my instruments must be connected to these. I then put individual equalizers on each drum in Redrum (ex - i wired in an a separate EQ for the snare, bass, and high hats). Now all of a sudden i pulled up the SSL mixer and instead of having each drum on it's own channel, all it's giving me for my drums is one channel for "Mixer 1." Obviously i want to EQ each drum on it's own, so i have to go back and fix this problem...

My question is, if i undo all the wiring and clear everything up by removing the EQ's and the 14:2 mixer, how do i connect each Redrum track into it's own channel in the SSL mixer? 

Also, are all of the MClass things AND the 14:2 mixer now kind of obsolete with the addition of the SSL mixer? AND if so, how can i see the mixing window that shows the curve with db on one axis and hz on the other axis in the SSL? It looks like in the newer versions of Reason there is a button you can click on the SSL that shows this graph that the MClass EQ shows? I managed to download a spectrum analyzer too, but this is confusing me even more! 

Sorry for any poor descriptions or lack technical terms, i am SO confused trying to mix, this is all new for me!! 

first to split channels to single ssl channels say you want all ten from redrum, you right click easiest way and make ten mix channels, flip rack rout each of your redrum slots on back to a different mix channel. you can add eqs you have too either before mix channel or inside as inserts .
if you look through here you will find a conversion chart supplied by selig on 14.2 mixer settings to ssl so you can have exact same settings ie volume etc.
you cannot see a spectrum analyser or the q settings that you mention in reason 6 it was introduced from 7 upwards. you have to work blind on that from ssl.
you can keep your mclass eq`s in the inserts or before as I said and use the ssl to add a little extra fine tuning and also you get the lp and hp filters to boot. and also a compressor and gate expander there too.

NotoriousBEN3

23 May 2015

OK, i was able to successfully split each drum into it's own mixing channel, thanks submonsterz!

So then if you have to do the EQ blind, without a spectrum analyzer, does everyone still use the MClass EQ? do you just do it blind? does everyone mostly use the upgraded version of Reason at this point? OR do you pull in a BV512 Spectrum Analyzer (which i found here - http://www.reason101.net/contributions/ ... -analyzer/

??

submonsterz

23 May 2015

I have both r7 and r6 but if im using r6 I use mclass and the ssl blind is ok for me im used to working as I hear it now from using r6 for couple of years. use ya mclass to get it on the mark then ya can after that use the ssl filters and eq to just polish .

• Information