F*King Kong

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

22 May 2015

Hi all

I have recently found an annoying bug/feature in Kong that is driving me mad.  I'm trying to set up my ultimate template, and the way I would like my drums is to have a Kong unit hooked up to 2 redrums for sequencing and each pad has it's own dedicated channel.

I have set this up and panned each odd pad hard L and each even pad hard right and altered the outputs.
Each of the 16 kong pads has a blank nano sampler in it.  So far so good.

If I drag and drop a sample directly onto the nano sampler all is fine, however if I drag a sample onto the pad itself, it will change its panning and output sections in Kong.  As for loading up a kit that seems to reset all outputs back to master and all panning back to zero in Kong.

Is there a way to prevent this happening?

Cheers
Graeme

ProfessaKaos

22 May 2015

I also find this annoying as it changes the routing of the pads outputs, the only work around I know of is the first method you mention "drag and drop a sample directly onto the nano sampler".
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Raveshaper

22 May 2015

I can't offer a solution, except to say that if dragging to the NN-Nano works, only use that.
This isn't the only bug like this. Kong always resets everything if you browse drums in the pad browser but leaves all settings in the pad browser alone if you browse samples in the NN-Nano.

It's strange, really. It seems at every turn, each new advancement of the program betrays a lack of understanding of how to implement it correctly.
The vision seems to be, "the user would want or anticipate this to happen, so we must make it happen automatically." Clearly, this automatic feature is annoying, not helpful.

I like Reason, but I think it's primary shortcoming is that it seems to have been pieced together by many authors whose contributions were commissioned over many years.

Edit: By that I mean, the most iconic devices were outsourced and major overhauls were heavily consulted with other firms or coded by temporary staff on loan from other firms or something, etc. Reason feels curated, not owned. Maybe the famous silent treatment has more to do with "those developers aren't with the company anymore or never were, so we literally can't answer the questions only those people could answer. We just sell the stuff they made."
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

-008'

22 May 2015

I remember this coming up on the old PUF. It makes perfect sense, actually.

Think about it. Drop to a Pad and it resets everything. Drop to the slot underneath (direct in NNnano) and it behaves as expected. This is really the only way it can work isn't it? ?

It's a small price to pay for having a Kong pad being able to be either: sample, synth, or Rex loop, etc..

So: Drag something to Pad it clears out setting and slot. Drag something to slot and the Pad and pan etc is not affected. It makes sense to me.

For some real fun and fuckery try doing any of this in Fruity loops "FPC" (Or their drumax thing for that matter.) LOLLL

Kong is King. Long live the king.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

• Information