Scottym Reveals The Vision Of 'Reason X' + The New X-SSL Mixer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JoshuaPhilgarlic

22 May 2015

It may sound hard, but this thing is crap.

Gaja

23 May 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:It may sound hard, but this thing is crap.
I think it's way too dark! If I wanted that I could invert my monitors colours. Also I'm lucky to have daylight in the studio, so this would be just way too dark and hurt my eyes as soon as I took them off the screen. So I agree, I wouldn't upgrade if Reason were to look like this (unless I could keep the calm colours of Reason as is).
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Tumble

23 May 2015

you need to take a UX course, Scotty.

Flandersh

23 May 2015

To me it is a question about what should be in focus; like in example the musical piece or the tools. And this is far more than a design question.

mind2069

23 May 2015

Just call it : Reason Bitwig

The Intrancer

23 May 2015

I made a few decisions from the outset in tackling a new design of Reason, these were to retain or show how existing elements are displayed as they are currently, it would be so much easier to completely redesign Reason so it wouldn't look anything like resembling the program but that would defeat the purpose and I'd probably end up doing another variation of Cyclorazer like completely thinking outside the box mythology  :D , but that would be too far removed so rather than do that, much of the recognisable elements have been left. 

Instead, integration of new elements have been placed along side them to illustrate alternate methods in which current gui aspects in the product aren't present such as the vertical tabbed names of the instruments which take up less screen horizontal estate whilst still providing easy drag and drop and being informative at the same time. In fact, finding solutions was another of my main mission parameters into which to get a as much as possible on a one screen working environment. The resolution screen estate I had to work with was exactly as shown above.

Integration of new tools was another defining aspect in updating Reason as well as ways in which to navigate around it. Taking the last point first, is that if there is one thing I hate having to learn too much of, it's frigging so many key commands and combinations, and I'm not a fan of jumping through multiple sectioned subsections of a right click menu in which to access a feature or forced down a new convoluted predefined path when it comes to how I want to access something that made sense previously. As you can see clearly, all main sections of the gui are clearly labeled on the transport bar in activation. 

Sequencer navigation is provided by a new optional toggle feature/widget which allows you navigate around and zoom on sequencer page as well as toggle between multiple sequencer tracks/pages with your scroll wheel just using the mouse alone and not touching any keys although you can set up a macro to a keys if you would like to. And, yes Reason X also includes the ability to set up macro's. The combination of these features provide a powerful way to jump to elements you want to come back to. An additional pop up history window will allow you to jump to any predefined macro's you have set. The widget also allows you to target multiple elements such as clips with a single click and apply multiple actions or automations to selected elements, such as volume, panning ect...

The main sequencer, also includes multiple looping points so you can jump instantly between sections you want to play or come back to or sequence. For example.. when you press play on the main transport you can set it to play only these loops or intermix with main sequence with the ability to punch them in and out within a mix for creative mixing or realtime stage play in addition to bouncing them in various ways. One of the ways in which can be to the new updated block and step editor. Below the main sequencer those loop markers are just one click away. These loop boxes can double as a way in which you time stretch sections of your track. Each sequencer lane has the addition of enabling the left and right markers if they are enabled and selected as well as displaying them. Other options include volume controls, muting , freezing of tracks, linking and bouncing all on the sequencer, which means giving you access to these controls whilst at the same time reducing the size horizontally of each sequencer lane information giving more space to the note/clip sequences when tabbed.

If there was one thing that I tried once and never tried again, it was blocks which came in version 5, it really just felt disconnected from my normal way of working. So I really wanted to come up with better way to integrate that aspect of Reason. I just want to note that whilst I was aware of other software such as bitwig implenting this kinda thing, I wanted to do this differently, in fact.. with a lot of this GUI design / adaptation there's not a lot of similarity with other software, even in the new video window. The Step Editor is combined with the Block Editor, we have blocks and within those blocks we have the steps. Steps contain the notes or wave files ( which would have a 'W' instead of a number as well as a unique colour that is different to any normal other note number. Steps can be re-arranged and played back on the fly when clicked on. For those that are use to the conventional Block mode, it remains.. so there is no loss of any tracks. The new Block & Step sequencer includes various options including syncing with the main sequencer as well as including easy drag and drop to and from. A display menu of additional information such as the block loaded and additional info would be displayed in the glass window. 

The new Multitrack Sequencer, as the name implies allows you to apply advanced multiple operations of multiple tracks including viewing and editing in traditional notation, great for those who can read it and those who need to learn it. It integrates the tools menu as well which itself integrates new shaping options such as curving notes through various patterns and visually splitting notes on using the vector based system. It seamlessly integrates waveform editing which includes basic as well as more advanced editing features of multiple formats including the extraction of audio from film media for editing. 

It's film time now ;-), a feature that has long been requested probably for about as long as Reason has existed. It's something I've wanted for years because I produce film like scores and not having proper time based syncronisation has really been a pain over the years. Reason is today lagging behind the competition in this area despite third party developers adapting ways to try and over come this, might be fine if you're on a Mac, but it certainly isn't if you're on a PC and of course nothing is gonna beat a properly integrated solution than being inside the application. In the design you'll find all the usual controls including snapping functions to position makers on the time line  as well as visual control parameters, how far the VFX controls would go as in whether you would have WinAmp visual effects, could be a nice feature for those with no media to use, or perhaps aid in stimulating your creative mind as you play and experiment. A filmstrip and the wave form of the film is an extra overview of the video loaded, it can be docked horizontally if required.  

Other features not mention yet is a revised browser with volume control and level indicators, looping and auto-play, clear navigation and banks of favorites clearly visible. Tabbed interface useful for multiple browser management.

Improved and identifiable indicators in transport panel, CPU usage, Automation override and DSP levels.

And last but definitely not least, the inclusion of STEP-TIME recording.

All new elements can be optionally activated with the preferences menu or tabbed, minimised.

Gui colours, can be changed to suite your preferences.  

Realistic 3D life like GUI interface. Flat 2D GUI's is not a good trend, despite what Apple might think, studies have proven this.

You design the interface you want to work in. 

Do note, that the screenshot illustrates functionality of many active elements working at any one time, and focus would be different in actual usage.

Not all elements are illustrated.

AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

Emian

23 May 2015

It's hideous to be fair is my oppinion....
a GUI like that would even slow my workflow more , then a reason 8 update would improve my Reason 7.1.1 workflow ;)

I just wonder, why are you still spamming this **** (GUI*, or whatever 4-letter word you can think of) on a forum for making music without posting any music yourself ?

Just my toughts, but i hoped i had left this all behind after PUF died ....

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Lunesis

23 May 2015

Let's be respectful guys. If you don't like it that's fine but just like anything else, keep your criticisms constructive and not personal.

Rice

23 May 2015

LOL!!! Heck, I find the GUI very interesting and quite tamed for a Scottym production 

jfrichards

23 May 2015

It is very tame for a Scotty thing.  It's more or less a color inversion of normal Reason, with new windows for video, blocks, and sequencer multitrack editing.  It's like a set of feature suggestions all done at once, that's all.  Here it is inverted back to normal:

Edit:  I sincerely hope that the Props do not integrate video into Reason, but instead make a video software editing program that works independently from Reason and also can be synced to Reason when you need it using a SynkyDink app that opens in the video software and can sync up the two programs using some sort of blocks edit markers to go back and forth.  Being able to run Reason or the video program separately and independently would be very useful.  Integrated would be getting too big and bloated in my opinion.
Attachments
Rx_inverted.jpg
Rx_inverted.jpg (379.35 KiB) Viewed 1859 times

The Intrancer

23 May 2015

I immensely enjoy the creative and stimulating work I produce be that graphical or musical, it's pretty clear a lot of people enjoy seeing and are interested in what I do, and possibly not even regularly part of this community, going by the history of my work and reading the resulting comments. Very soon users may possibly be able to actually test out my work and not just look at it. :) And we're looking at within the next couple of weeks. For now though 
I'll be revealing other parts of Reason until then.

AKA Scottym         
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

Exowildebeest

23 May 2015

jfrichards wrote: Edit:  I sincerely hope that the Props do not integrate video into Reason, but instead make a video software editing program that works independently from Reason and also can be synced to Reason when you need it using a SynkyDink app that opens in the video software and can sync up the two programs using some sort of blocks edit markers to go back and forth.  Being able to run Reason or the video program separately and independently would be very useful.  Integrated would be getting too big and bloated in my opinion.
You might have a good point there. Don't know if Propellerheads want to do another Record-like addon though, and if they do it, they'd need be serious about that video application, otherwise people will just start complaining about a lack of features in that product. I suspect they would prefer to go for some very basic, simple (like the MIDI out..) video implementation, with no fancy features at all to keep it from bloating Reason.

SebAudio

24 May 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:I suspect they would prefer to go for some very basic, simple (like the MIDI out..) video implementation, with no fancy features at all to keep it from bloating Reason.
Yes and don't waste time in video implementation whereas REs still can't load samples !

Gaja

24 May 2015

SebAudio wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:I suspect they would prefer to go for some very basic, simple (like the MIDI out..) video implementation, with no fancy features at all to keep it from bloating Reason.
Yes and don't waste time in video implementation whereas REs still can't load samples !
Also by now I don't think video support is actually needed. Of course it would be a nice add on, but it wouldn't suffice to just have a video window. You'd need timecode as well as the ability to have the grid show frames (in all the different framerates, like 24, 25, 29.7 etc.) you'd need te ability to export movies, and most importantly the ability to jump to locations (like the spot option in protools) and the abilitiy to zoom out far enough to show at least 90 minutes of audio, better yet zoom out so far that you could see different reels as well. When working on cinema movies you usually split up the picture in reels of around 20 minutes and spread them over the session, reel 1 starting at 1:00:00:00 reel 2 at 2:00:00:00 etc, meaning that you'd have to be able to view around six or seven hours of session in one go, to quickly navigate. It may be of course that props are implementing features slowly to finally support full movie import, but really I believe there are issues with higher priority.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Theo.M

24 May 2015

Scotty has a love of busy GUI's as evident in all his designs. If Reason ever looked like this i'd sell up and never load it again. That is one of the most confusing messes I have ever seen, and actually makes me dizzy trying to decipher it. No thanks.

The Tone Ranger

24 May 2015

I miss Reason 2. Can we just go back in time when things were simple?

The Intrancer

24 May 2015

The Tone Ranger wrote:I miss Reason 2. Can we just go back in time when things were simple?
That's the great thing about this interface, every single element can be blanked off with a panel, tabbed or docked. It would essentially be one of the most customisable Daw's ever, even more so than Reaper i.e, it's virtually modular in other words, save your templates and share them. :)

If you want to go back to R2.0, well you could but why anyone would want that is anyone's guess but you could get near it with the flexibility power of this gui . It can be as simple as or as complex as you need it to be, if you only want a single play button on screen and nothing else, well you could do that too, go play with Studio One 3 and just see how complex and busy a GUI is at a 1200x714.

AKA Scottym         

Theo.M

25 May 2015

The Tone Ranger wrote:I miss Reason 2. Can we just go back in time when things were simple?
The Intrancer wrote:
That's the great thing about this interface, every single element can be blanked off with a panel, tabbed or docked. It would essentially be one of the most customisable Daw's ever, even more so than Reaper i.e, it's virtually modular in other words, save your templates and share them. :)

If you want to go back to R2.0, well you could but why anyone would want that is anyone's guess but you could get near it with the flexibility power of this gui . It can be as simple as or as complex as you need it to be, if you only want a single play button on screen and nothing else, well you could do that too, go play with Studio One 3 and just see how complex and busy a GUI is at a 1200x714.

well that makes a difference.. i must have missed that part. If it can be made to look simple then that's fine, and the colour scheme is better than R8 i must admit. I think studio one 3 has the colour scheme bang on though, the best of all DAW's. You do confuse me though when you say  "If you want to go back to R2.0, well you could but why anyone would want that is anyone's guess".. well the answer is simple.. there are those of us who like the opposite of what you like.. i don't know why you seem to think that anyone that doesn't have your taste has bad taste? You should be a bit more open to other people, since we do get plenty of threads presenting your own opinion of what a good gui is. Not everyone will agree with you Scotty.

BTW i don't think S1 V3 is that busy at all, it's rather ergonomic and is "learned" quickly. It's definitely MUCH less busy than the interface that you presented here.

To give us all an alternate, why not show the interface from the first post, with some "watered" down arrangements, but using that "look"? That way those who dismissed it instantly cause of how much info it had, can make a more informed opinion.

davidherrick

25 May 2015

Nice idea, I wonder though how heavy would the system resources be with this new GUI ? Also I do like the button to open and close the view like it is with the browser now to be able to do that with the sequencer Racks and mixer instead of having to click and drag up or down to view them. All and all nice concept reminds me of DEX 3 a DJ software program.

MirEko

25 May 2015

I still maintain that ScottyM is the greatest troll to ever troll, the commitment is epic.

If reason looked like this id just use fruityloops ;)
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

The Intrancer

25 May 2015

Seeing as today is my birthday I thought I'd post something fun and I think adept in the spirit of this thread, in what I do creatively / and how I think. :)

Oh, I'm Scottish btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... cKT0-m8Oe0

AKA Scottym         

Tumble

25 May 2015

Reminds me a bit of Samplitude Pro X.

I downloaded a demo for that a some time ago. I had it open a whole 5-10 seconds before I closed it and turned to the uninstaller. I think the claustrophobic nature of the interface gave me PTSD.

EnochLight

25 May 2015

The Intrancer wrote: Seeing as today is my birthday I thought I'd post something fun and I think adept in the spirit of this thread, in what I do creatively / and how I think. :)

Oh, I'm Scottish btw. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjYHvAly_IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seN7AKSwMFU
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gak

25 May 2015

esselfortium wrote:Image
Sorry to be so mean, but loled hard at this.

MirEko

25 May 2015

The Intrancer wrote: Seeing as today is my birthday I thought I'd post something fun and I think adept in the spirit of this thread, in what I do creatively / and how I think. :)

Oh, I'm Scottish btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... cKT0-m8Oe0
Bill bailey is a legend, only just watched part troll the other day..
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

• Information