Scottym Reveals The Vision Of 'Reason X' + The New X-SSL Mixer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
The Intrancer

20 May 2015

Actual screenshot resolution Height 714 pixels x Width 1200 pixels. ( Based upon the original screenshot dimensions from Propellerheads Website ) Read details and look at additional screenshots first.   

Normal perspective.

Click to enlarge.

More to follow in the next day or so...

About Reason X

I made a few decisions from the outset in tackling a new design of Reason, these were to retain or show how existing elements are displayed as they are currently, it would be so much easier to completely redesign Reason so it wouldn't look anything like resembling the program but that would defeat the purpose and I'd probably end up doing another variation of Cyclorazer like completely thinking outside the box mythology ;-D, but that would be too far removed so rather than do that, much of the recognisable elements have been left. 

Instead, integration of new elements have been placed along side them to illustrate alternate methods in which current gui aspects in the product aren't present such as the vertical tabbed names of the instruments which take up less  horizontal screen estate whilst still providing easy drag and drop and being informative at the same time. In fact, finding solutions was another of my main mission parameters into which to get a as much as possible on a one screen working environment. The resolution screen estate I had to work with was exactly as shown above.

Integration of new tools was another defining aspect in updating Reason as well as ways in which to navigate around it. Taking the last point first, is that if there is one thing I hate having to learn too much of, it's frigging so many key commands and combinations, and I'm not a fan of jumping through multiple sectioned subsections of a right click menu in which to access a feature or forced down a new convoluted predefined path when it comes to how I want to access something that made sense previously. As you can see clearly, all main sections of the gui are clearly labeled on the transport bar in activation. 

Sequencer navigation is provided by a new optional toggle feature/widget which allows you navigate around and zoom on sequencer page as well as toggle between multiple sequencer tracks/pages with your scroll wheel just using the mouse alone and not touching any keys although you can set up a macro to a keys if you would like to. And, yes Reason X also includes the ability to set up macro's. The combination of these features provide a powerful way to jump to elements you want to come back to. An additional pop up history window will allow you to jump to any predefined macro's you have set. The widget also allows you to target multiple elements such as clips with a single click and apply multiple actions or automations to selected elements, such as volume, panning ect...

The main sequencer, also includes multiple looping points so you can jump instantly between sections you want to play or come back to or sequence. For example.. when you press play on the main transport you can set it to play only these loops or intermix with main sequence with the ability to punch them in and out within a mix for creative mixing or realtime stage play in addition to bouncing them in various ways. One of the ways in which can be to the new updated block and step editor. Below the main sequencer those loop markers are just one click away. These loop boxes can double as a way in which you time stretch sections of your track. Each sequencer lane has the addition of enabling the left and right markers if they are enabled and selected as well as displaying them. Other options include volume controls, muting , freezing of tracks, linking and bouncing all on the sequencer, which means giving you access to these controls whilst at the same time reducing the size horizontally of each sequencer lane information giving more space to the note/clip sequences when tabbed.

If there was one thing that I tried once and never tried again, it was blocks which came in version 5, it really just felt disconnected from my normal way of working. So I really wanted to come up with better way to integrate that aspect of Reason. I just want to note that whilst I was aware of other software such as bitwig implenting this kinda thing, I wanted to do this differently, in fact.. with a lot of this GUI design / adaptation there's not a lot of similarity with other software, even in the new video window. The Step Editor is combined with the Block Editor, we have blocks and within those blocks we have the steps. Steps contain the notes or wave files ( which would have a 'W' instead of a number as well as a unique colour that is different to any normal other note number. Steps can be re-arranged and played back on the fly when clicked on. For those that are use to the conventional Block mode, it remains.. so there is no loss of any tracks. The new Block & Step sequencer includes various options including syncing with the main sequencer as well as including easy drag and drop to and from. A display menu of additional information such as the block loaded and additional info would be displayed in the glass window. 

The new Multitrack Sequencer, as the name implies allows you to apply advanced multiple operations of multiple tracks including viewing and editing in traditional notation, great for those who can read it and those who need to learn it. It integrates the tools menu as well which itself integrates new shaping options such as curving notes through various patterns and visually splitting notes on using the vector based system. It seamlessly integrates waveform editing which includes basic as well as more advanced editing features of multiple formats including the extraction of audio from film media for editing. 

It's film time now ;-), a feature that has long been requested probably for about as long as Reason has existed. It's something I've wanted for years because I produce film like scores and not having proper time based syncronisation has really been a pain over the years. Reason is today lagging behind the competition in this area despite third party developers adapting ways to try and over come this, might be fine if you're on a Mac, but it certainly isn't if you're on a PC and of course nothing is gonna beat a properly integrated solution than being inside the application. In the design you'll find all the usual controls including snapping functions to position makers on the time line  as well as visual control parameters, how far the VFX controls would go as in whether you would have WinAmp visual effects, could be a nice feature for those with no media to use, or perhaps aid in stimulating your creative mind as you play and experiment. A filmstrip and the wave form of the film is an extra overview of the video loaded, it can be docked horizontally if required.  

Other features not mention yet is a revised browser with volume control and level indicators, looping and auto-play, clear navigation and banks of favorites clearly visible. Tabbed interface useful for multiple browser management.

Improved and identifiable indicators in transport panel, CPU usage, Automation override and DSP levels.

And last but definitely not least, the inclusion of STEP-TIME recording.

All new elements can be optionally activated with the preferences menu or tabbed, minimised.

Gui colours, can be changed to suite your preferences.  

Realistic 3D life like GUI interface. Flat 2D GUI's is not a good trend, despite what Apple might think, studies have proven this.

You design the interface you want to work in. 

Do note, that the screenshot illustrates functionality of many active elements working at any one time, and focus would be different in actual usage.

Not all elements are illustrated.

Advanced GUI Customisation & Blanking Plates

Introducing The X-SSL 9000 Mixer

A Simple But Radical New Concept In Interaction And Extensive Extended Functionality.

Can't fit the complete mixer properly on a 1080P screen in landscape mode ?
Well you can now.

Completely redesigned from the ground up, new interactive concepts are my own, it's one of my most challenging GUI projects to date, one block still to fill, what is going to go there, still undecided.

(Some minor elements have not made the transition from the first screenshots yet)

'Mixer Split Mode' slices rack into 2 sections, for improved overview of mixer sections and accessibility in landscape mode.

Screenshot shown at 1080p

AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

Alkua

21 May 2015

So, they will skip R9?

Look too complex

The Tone Ranger

21 May 2015

That would be the nail in the coffin for Reason.

Scoobyman II

21 May 2015

I really like the idea of the darker concept for energy saving and if they added video sinc.

craven

21 May 2015

Alkua wrote:So, they will skip R9? Look too complex
no, if you look closely, they use this to work on the Reason 9 promo vid :) nice touch
:ugeek:

Alkua

21 May 2015

craven wrote:
no, if you look closely, they use this to work on the Reason 9 promo vid :) nice touch
Reason 9 promo vid?

Where is that video?

craven

21 May 2015

craven wrote:
Alkua wrote: Reason 9 promo vid? Where is that video?
well, sorry for teasing you, the promo vid was a 'joke' by Scottym aka The Intrancer, you can see it in the pic. Also, his work is fan art (sorry, maybe Scottym can explain it better), so there is no information on a real Reason 9 promo vid.

Take his picture as his vision of a future version (which has all windows open at once, so to actually work in his envisioned program, I assume you most likely would not have everything crammed like this - similar to word, which is quite clearly arranged when not opening all task bars etc.
:ugeek:

The Intrancer

21 May 2015

Just wanted to point out that the resolution is 1200x714 on the actual non tilted image so pushing the limit of what would be viewable on screen (with almost everything activated)at today's lower laptop resolutions, so it wouldn't look so condensed with more white space between sections on higher res screens (a bit of a technical challenge I think).  Essentially it used the original screenshot on the propellerheads website as a basis but it's reconstructed from scratch. The project is one I did before the actual release of Reason 8 but for the first time been made public.

And I didn't stop there ;)

AKA Scottym         
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

Alkua

21 May 2015

craven wrote:
Alkua wrote: Reason 9 promo vid? Where is that video?
craven wrote:
well, sorry for teasing you, the promo vid was a 'joke' by Scottym aka The Intrancer, you can see it in the pic. Also, his work is fan art (sorry, maybe Scottym can explain it better), so there is no information on a real Reason 9 promo vid.

Take his picture as his vision of a future version (which has all windows open at once, so to actually work in his envisioned program, I assume you most likely would not have everything crammed like this - similar to word, which is quite clearly arranged when not opening all task bars etc.
Oh ok, You got me, jejeje

zeebot

21 May 2015

Sorry Scotty but it just looks like an impractical confusing mess.
What I have noticed with all your designs is that you value personal aesthetics over actual functionality.
Yes, they may all look 'wow!!' but when you actually look again at how they will actually work they fall flat.
Even concept designs for products have to be backed with the idea that people will try and use them one day.
That design would give me a headache after 15 minutes.
Not having a go just giving you some constructive criticism.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 May 2015

zeebot wrote:Sorry Scotty but it just looks like an impractical confusing mess.
What I have noticed with all your designs is that you value personal aesthetics over actual functionality.
Yes, they may all look 'wow!!' but when you actually look again at how they will actually work they fall flat.
Even concept designs for products have to be backed with the idea that people will try and use them one day.
That design would give me a headache after 15 minutes.
Not having a go just giving you some constructive criticism.
I did think that, but that's the nature of complex tools. To the untrained eye it looks cluttered and overcomplicated, but once you get attuned to using it within your workflow it all of sudden makes sense.

I imagine this is what Reason looks like to your average non musically inclined passer by, and as a caveat this is what scottym's design tools look like so maybe he's a little desensitised to it :)

lowpryo

21 May 2015

i would gladly pay $130 for a dark theme and video player. get rid of all that pointless redundant garbage though.

The Intrancer

21 May 2015

All sections, panels can be toggled on and off to be viewable also or moved to another screen or tab (see the Browser sections for example), just like you can do in After Effects or Photoshop applications, so you have the power and flexibility in what you want to see and use at any one time. You design your interface how you want it and overcomes one actual issue in the actual real application of the sequencer being stuck to the browser in R8.

Before picking up Studio One last year my thoughts were that it's gui was pretty complex and cluttered but that was before I actually sat down to use it, it's very flexible in how much you want to see on screen.

Remember though, this is also illustrating functional design of active elements so, not all elements will be active at any one time in actual usage and would be in an inactive state if not focused on. This goes for a lot of design stuff I do so I'm aware it may look confusing for some.

AKA Scottym         

pushedbutton

21 May 2015

I like it. I think it highlights the problem that Reason is facing, it's becoming too cluttered and harder to focus on what's going on when everything is open. There's a function for pretty much every key on the keyboard already.
I like the idea of giving devices sides so that we have a 3d view, which would give us more space to organise things on.
Syncing video would be awesome for me, in fact there's lots of features I'd like to see in Reason but I don't know where they'd go. A clever way to handle limited space should be prop's next priority...and karaoke mode.
Maybe when AR or VR become more popular all these problems will just go away.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Exowildebeest

21 May 2015

Why would you choose to display it at an angle :D As if it isn't confusing enough already.

Setting aside the typical Scotty design, the addition of the video player is nice, in the way that it's done in the same way as the Rack/Sequencer/Mixer windows. The optional multi-track window is a nice speculative idea as well - I don't miss that feature, but I've seen a lot of people requesting editing of multiple tracks at the same time. It might be a good way to do it this way, in another special window/tab. However, Propellerheads tend to keep things as simple as possible, and adding extra windows probably is something they'd only do if there is no other way, as it probably is with the video player.

KEVMOVE02

21 May 2015

I switched to side by side 25 in monitors to get away from screen clutter, as found here. I get that you can collapse most of the tools, so its not fair to judge this prototype as being not useful. What may be more practical is to show templated views for common workspaces (audio editing workspace, sequencing workspace, etc) 

Exowildebeest

21 May 2015

KEVMOVE02 wrote:I switched to side by side 25 in monitors to get away from screen clutter
You needed 25 monitors for that?  :s0238:

PSoames

21 May 2015

I'm very disappointed in the limited scope that this vision of the future provides us.

Sequencing in time and space is so last century!

Also, I want a window I can lick so I can taste my music.

Raveshaper

21 May 2015

I want chaos theory in my sequencer so I never know when or where things will happen. Polarized 3D glasses would really help me see my project in a more organized way.

But in all seriousness, this type of thing will almost surely never happen. Has anybody thought of starting either a payed or open source program that works like some of us wish Reason would? It'll never happen, but we can DIY the thing? Just a thought.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

The Intrancer

21 May 2015

One of the requested options I picked up on last year was an option for punching in and out, I've illustrated it on the right side of the play button with a fist like image. I had to go and have a look at Reaper to see the options for that and come up with my own take on it.

Right next to that is the Step-Time button, looks like two dash like symbols with a diving arrow. Lack of Steptime recording was a bit of an hindrance in the early days of Reason because it forced me into recording in realtime and took away the programming method of my beloved early/mid 90's Amiga tracker days or even step programming on the old Playstation with Music 2000. For those that are not accustomed to playing on the keys or those that want to do quick creative track sequencing without being stuck to recording to song tempo, it's highly useful in song construction. I'm still amazed it's not even in Reason after almost 15 years.

AKA Scottym         

Faastwalker

22 May 2015

I'm speechless :crazy:

ProfessaKaos

22 May 2015

Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Majestik Monkey

22 May 2015

I think Scotty is on to something Here ?

If there were options of colouring all different parts of Reason / even every mixer channel strip ' with their own colour's 
i am sure by now we would be seeing some real nice Kulor skeems = Reaper vibes . . . .  :thumbup:

• Information