Reason Essentials now only $49!!! :-)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

20 May 2015

I knew it! I told y'all!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... entials-8/

Everybody was freaking out about the heads up Propellerhead provided on the impending price increase from Essentials to the full version. Looks like that heads up was simply a kind gesture. And this new price for Essentials is awesome!

So tell your non-Reason using friends! ;)

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 May 2015

Greedy scumbags eh ;)

The Intrancer

20 May 2015

The cost of Reason upgrades rise $24.50 whilst to buy Reason rises by $24.50, wait and see ;)

AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

tibah

20 May 2015

Great deal indeed.

The only thing remaining *weird* is the non-existing upgrade path for former Essentials users, like me. Still, I have no reason to upgrade from Essentials 2 to 8. It's a great entrance to Reason though.

Alkua

20 May 2015

This is a really good price, but I thinks it should be free

joeyluck

20 May 2015

Alkua wrote:This is a really good price, but I thinks it should be free
Eh, but this is practically free! I think this is an amazing deal. Keep in mind that Reason has an incredible demo mode. The only limits to the demo are that you can't open saved songs and you can't use REs...

So, for $49, you get to do just that (minus having all the great devices included with the full version of Reason). But you can still upgrade!

You can upgrade to Reason for $349 from Essentials. It can still function like Reason layaway! :) $50 in, $50 accounted for... 
If Essentials was free, the Reason "upgrade" from Essentials would simply be the full price of Reason @ $399... Maybe less likely folks might upgrade from Essentials.
So, this way @ $49, there is price incentive to upgrade later by having a low priced entry.

tibah

20 May 2015

Having access to the work-flow and rack alone is well worth that asking price. Plus, you get to try all the fancy REs! ;) I run Essentials for a reason (mwahaha Oo), since it's like building your custom rack with it and I do like that approach. Not everyone has the money to get the full thing, but in small *baby* steps, I kinda build the Reason I like. :)

Trying to download 8.2 again to see if I missed something to Essentials 2, but I believe it's pretty much about the browser and maybe some stuff in the background about REs, while I still can trial every RE in the shop fine with my current version. Seems PH servers are quite slow atm though. ;)  

Time for a beer.  :s0826:

Alkua

20 May 2015

joeyluck wrote:
Eh, but this is practically free! I think this is an amazing deal. Keep in mind that Reason has an incredible demo mode. The only limits to the demo are that you can't open saved songs and you can't use REs...

So, for $49, you get to do just that (minus having all the great devices included with the full version of Reason). But you can still upgrade!

You can upgrade to Reason for $349 from Essentials. It can still function like Reason layaway! :) $50 in, $50 accounted for... 
If Essentials was free, the Reason "upgrade" from Essentials would simply be the full price of Reason @ $399... Maybe less likely folks might upgrade from Essentials.
So, this way @ $49, there is price incentive to upgrade later by having a low priced entry.
Truth, good point

joeyluck

20 May 2015

joeyluck wrote:

I realize now that my wording might be confusing when discussing the demo of Reason and then discussing Essentials.
To clarify for others...
Reason Essentials cannot open full version Reason songs. I'm sure folks are aware of this.
What I mean to say above is that you can have a version of Reason (in this case Essentials) in which you can save and open songs in that version.

zeebot

20 May 2015

I still cant believe they are selling Recycle for $249
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

KEVMOVE02

20 May 2015

I will never buy "essential" or "LE" editions of software ever again (the one caveat being pack-ins that come with audio interfaces and other devices). 

Time and again, I took the "instant gratification route" and get the limited, beginner version, only to quickly realize that all the stuff I want to do can't be easily done. Example: Ableton Live Session View. Yes, you can create unlimited tracks, but the 8 scene limit forces you to build tracks horizontally, instead of vertically! So, instead of focusing on one screen, you have to scroll back and forth to trigger audio outside of the viewable area. Add to that frustration the limits on effects and instruments and you will want to cut something or somebody. Take my advice, unless you are getting it for free, skip the intro version, and save up to get the full version. The first $400 for Reason might not seem like a good value, but the 5 upgrades since V4 (don't forget pay what you want) have been more than worth the investment. the same advice goes for:
  • Musical instruments. People will tell you that the knock offs and beginner instruments play and sound as good as the pro versions. You may even buy into it and join the crowd. Then the day comes when you actually buy a "pro" instrument and you realize that it was a lie - the pro instruments sound frigging amazing, play frigging amazing and look frigging amazing. Sure, you will get insulted and criticized, but you don't really care, cause you got a Fender and you feel frigging amazing. Haterz!
  • A well tailored suit. If you have seen Colin Firth in Kingsman: The Secret Service, you know what I'm talking about. I'm no clothes snob and I know that most clothing is poorly made and overpriced. My wife changed my mind when she gave me two tailor made suits for our anniversary. It was a posh place, with valet parking and the whole nine. I hated every moment, until I saw myself in the mirror. Then I saw the look on my wife's face. Then I saw the look on everyone else's face. I thought that this is not bad.  Since then, I completely buy into the latin proverb "vestum virum reddit" (you don't need a whole closet of tailor made suits, just two. TOTALLY WORTH IT).
  • Budget phones. I know a lot of people don't care about smart phones, and truth be told, we definitely don't need them as much as we think. However, if you are going to have a smartphone, make the investment in decent one. I could create a laundry lists of why this is the right thing to do, but this will suffice: SAMSUNG GALAXY S3. Only a build of this quality would be capable of updating to Android 5 Lollipop. Come on now! So it doesn't matter which provider you choose, just make sure you pick a phone that you plan to still be using PRODUCTIVELY 5 years from now. Ooh, I can hear all the naysayers talking about how their Blackberry Playbook is just as functional as an iPad Air or Microsoft Surface. Fine, write down your thoughts in MS Office (non web version), then we will talk.
Stop saying that the substitute is just as good as the real thing. That's what my momma told me when she was trying to get me to be cool with wearing bobo's ( pronounced like hobo's). Not only do they not make your feet feel fine, but you will wear out 5 pairs of these cheap counterfeits before you wear out one pair of the real deal foot wear.

avasopht
Competition Winner

20 May 2015

I'm with KEVMOVE02.

Matter of fact one of the Cubase ones I got years ago was so well featured that it was practically no different from having the full version but I still refrained from even taking the CD out of the case!

I think the only cut down version of software I was happy to use was Computer Muzys (a work of art) and Pro Tools FREE (another work of art).

That being said, for those using Rack Extension alternatives to stock the stock devices that aren't included, it might be a viable route to get started. And given they get the softube amps, it's pretty much like buying two softube amps and getting Reason Essentials for free ;)

Exowildebeest

20 May 2015

That's exactly what light versions are for: getting people to realize they want the full version :P

lowpryo

20 May 2015

KEVMOVE02 wrote:
  • Musical instruments. People will tell you that the knock offs and beginner instruments play and sound as good as the pro versions. You may even buy into it and join the crowd. Then the day comes when you actually buy a "pro" instrument and you realize that it was a lie - the pro instruments sound frigging amazing, play frigging amazing and look frigging amazing. Sure, you will get insulted and criticized, but you don't really care, cause you got a Fender and you feel frigging amazing. Haterz!
I totally disagree with that. the gap in quality between low-end and high-end models has closed significantly in the past couple decades.. sure, $100 starter Strats play like shit. but you can get some incredibly great sounding & feeling guitars in the $400-600 range, and it's laughable that people would spend in the thousands of dollars unless they were in it purely for the novelty.

SteveDiverse

20 May 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:That's exactly what light versions are for: getting people to realize they want the full version :P
True.

Without a light version, people will wait and wait and wait to take the plunge.

Once they get the light version - and especially if they paid a nominal fee as opposed to getting it free - they are likely to pay the difference for the upgrade, else they 'throw away' that nominal fee.

Meanwhile, this price drop is great for a lot of my friends.

I just recently had a couple of friends ask what I'd recommend for them to use to record their live gigs - nothing fancy, low budget... Essentials at this new price is perfect for them.
:reason: :reload: :record: :ignition: :refill: :re: | :rt: FTW

rvman

20 May 2015

If Essentials was that price a year ago, I would have bought it. BUT, by now I would own the full version anyway. Still, it's a good move. It should be advertised more.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

joeyluck

21 May 2015

I disagree with folks saying it's not a good option for newcomers... I'm a bit confused.

The upgrade path from Essentials to Reason is exactly the difference of what you pay for Essentials and the cost of Reason! 

So there's no buyer remorse like, "Oh, I should've bought Reason!"
No need to feel hesitant... "Which should I buy? I need to decide correctly or I'll be out cash I didn't need to spend..."
Because at the end of the day, Reason is $399 no matter how you arrive.
But actually...

Reason = $399
Reason Essentials = $49
Upgrade from Essentials to Reason = $349
Reason Essentials + Upgrade to Reason = $398

YOU ACTUALLY SAVE A DOLLAR!!! =P

Faastwalker

21 May 2015

Great price for newbies. Great, cheap way into Reason, which is obviously the point of Essentials now. It's like a promo for Reason 8. Smart move by the Props ............ I think.

Arsenic

21 May 2015

joeyluck wrote:I disagree with folks saying it's not a good option for newcomers... I'm a bit confused.

The upgrade path from Essentials to Reason is exactly the difference of what you pay for Essentials and the cost of Reason! 

So there's no buyer remorse like, "Oh, I should've bought Reason!"
No need to feel hesitant... "Which should I buy? I need to decide correctly or I'll be out cash I didn't need to spend..."
Because at the end of the day, Reason is $399 no matter how you arrive.
But actually...

Reason = $399
Reason Essentials = $49
Upgrade from Essentials to Reason = $349
Reason Essentials + Upgrade to Reason = $398

YOU ACTUALLY SAVE A DOLLAR!!! =P
Not if you pay in Euros - From the Props Shop

Reason = €369
Reason Essentials = €49
Upgrade from Essentials to reason = €349
Reason Essentials + Upgrade to Reason = €398

You are out of pocket by €29

KEVMOVE02

21 May 2015

KEVMOVE02 wrote:
I totally disagree with that. the gap in quality between low-end and high-end models has closed significantly in the past couple decades.. sure, $100 starter Strats play like shit. but you can get some incredibly great sounding & feeling guitars in the $400-600 range, and it's laughable that people would spend in the thousands of dollars unless they were in it purely for the novelty.
So you don't think an instrument that costs $400 - $600 is not pro quality?

Jamesville

21 May 2015

Im sure there's a saying that ends with '..... it what you do with it that counts' that can apply to most conversations like this that go down a certain road...

tibah

21 May 2015

I get the negativity towards limited versions of music production software. For Reason Essentials I have to say, it's somewhat different. The main reason being unlimited track count for MIDI and audio and no limitations for how many effects and instruments you can use in a project. This is where most other developers come in and create the big differences between the light and the full version. 

I put some money in ReFills and Rack Extensions over the years, in amounts of money I have available. Simple speaking - my current situation doesn't allow for saving up 350€. Having that little extra 50-100€ for some new sounds or devices isn't an issue though. That's why I kept building around the concept of Reason Essentials and by now, I have to say, there is not much soaking me into the full version. "But the SSL mixer dude!" Sure! Probably the only thing left on my card. But for 350€? You consider that twice. By now I have some great EQs and comps at my disposal and I don't mind using the insert effect slot in the rack. You practically skip the mixer completely in Essentials, at least I do. Some simple volume adjustments, using the bus compressor and maybe the phase inv are the only reasons to even go there. 

Now for the change from Essentials 2 to 8 and demoing it after a while, I can see what the new browser is good for. But still, there is no "sync to tempo project" for audio files and REX loops? The auto-playing from the browser for audio is confusing as well, since it doesn't stop when you imported the file and leaves me with the preview playing, while my project might be playing too? Sorry PH but this is a step back, even though I could get used to the new browsing and I do like the auto-naming and new colors. The Softube amps might be nice, but not included in the demo and I'm not big on amp simulations so I don't have a desire for them.

As far now, I don't see a reason jumping from 2 to 8 with some improvements, that include drawbacks at equal levels. Maybe if there will be this uber-awesome-granular-stretching-sample RE that needs a newer SDK for Essentials 9 I will get there. ;)

adfielding

22 May 2015

I know at least one person who I've been badgering to pick up Reason Essentials who will be very happy with this.

tiker01

22 May 2015

The only thing I wish is PH making collaboration as easy as it was prior Essentials and Re-s!!

As afar as I know they want to boost collaboration via Discover linking all their products. So why not do everything to make this as easy as possible on the highest level?

To achieve collaboration without taking precautions (other than selfcontain samples) they should implement the following features:

1.  Reason and Reason Essentials files compatible both ways (Basically Essentials would have the same code as the full Reason but e.g. one could not access some of the features of the mixer etc. However, one could open a full version Reason file which contains such locked features but they couldn`t edit it.)

2.  Re- s still working in a non-editable mode i.e. producing sound and CV and cables could be un/plugged from/into them.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

• Information