Scartch Disk, Stems, and RAM ??

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Raveshaper

19 May 2015

My latest project has me working with stems in such a way that it lights up the "Disc Overload" in the transport. Since I am jumping from place to place in the audio, I can only guess that it is spooling the audio from the hard drive itself rather than RAM if it isn't able to keep up with me.

Is audio loaded into RAM or spooled from disc? If it is spooled, does Scratch Disk space do anything to optimize this? Can a RAM Drive be used as the Scratch Disk?
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ScuzzyEye

19 May 2015

I have a 4-way striped SSD, and 32 GB of RAM, and still get that light when I jump around in a song. It blinks for a fraction of a second though. I think it comes on when the audio is not in RAM, regardless of how fast your drive is. Are you seeing the light continually, or just a blink after a seek?

It should be possible to point the scratch disk to a RAM drive. It shouldn't even cause any data loss, as the scratch data will be recreated if it is missing. I don't know what Reason does if the scratch space is limited, though. It does expect to be able to use up to 20 GB of disk.

• Information