Three Monitors.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MDTerps2015

17 May 2015

I have an Imac and i have a second monitor hooked up already. I want a second monitor to make three screens. Does anyone have this set up for IMAC because it different than a PC. I was told i could use a USB to HDMI cable for the third monitor but it would present somewhat of a lag i think moving screens. I not worried about moving screens because a template would just open the screen up in the sequencer. Im wondering about syncing. Would syncing be a problem with the sequencer in play or record mode. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Raveshaper

17 May 2015

If you're running multiple documents at once, only the one that currently has focus will respond, as far as I know. You don't have to worry so much about syncing issues in terms of responsiveness across multiple screens, but I don't have an iMac.

The only areas where you should expect lag are in the SSL if a lot of controls in the dynamics section are being automated at once on multiple channels.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

MDTerps2015

17 May 2015

Ok got you. So i should put the sequencer on the lower speed (USB) monitor or the rack. Im going to try if i can borrow my friends monitor for a second. Just dont want the tempo sync to be out of order because that like latency to the fifth degree.

Raveshaper

17 May 2015

The only thing you might notice is a slight slow down in refresh rate across your displays, but really nothing will be out of sync in reason itself. You should be fine.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Benedict
Competition Winner

17 May 2015

I have a USB > HDMI device that I used to run a TV for a while. Not really great but workable. Probably better suited to documents etc as was easily 'jerky' with movies with lots of action on screen like Blade Runner city scenes - oddly more so with Win Media Center than Win Media Player (go figure as I would have assumed same basic code).

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

MDTerps2015

17 May 2015

It would be strictly for Reason. So im going to try it out and see and if not i guess im stuck with a big monitor lol.

Kazz

18 May 2015

I believe you can get a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter which would be faster and better (but also probably more expensive) than USB.

Gaja

18 May 2015

I agree with Kazz. A thunderbolt adapter, while insanely expensive, will give you the best results.
But then again do yourself a favour and research, whether your model of graphics card does support three screens natively, because not every card does. We had to get a dedicated video card to make it happen with the latest Pre-trashcan MacPro.
Just saying there might be problems on the way and you'd prefer to be informed before you spend money on an insanely expensive adapter.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information