RE8 to R8 upgrade price increase !

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Data_Shrine

11 May 2015

So, in this week Prop's email...

"If you’ve thought of upgrading to the full version of Reason 8, you couldn’t ask for a better time! Starting May 20th, the Reason 8 upgrade for Reason Essentials/Adapted/Limited users will receive a little nudge in price from $299/€279 to $349/€349. But don’t panic! There’s still time to upgrade before the price goes up."

Huh what the hell ? Makes me wanna upgrade even less.. 

And I thought it finally was a RE to R upgrade special deal..

tiker01

11 May 2015

I can hear PH saying it is right now  :roll:

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Data_Shrine

11 May 2015

I seriously have no idea what they're thinking... this comes across pretty badly.

gak

11 May 2015

Yeah, there is a spam thread and I'm like wtf? :rofl:

All I know is I'm really happy with what I'm using, but for upgraders, it looks ugly. 

Data_Shrine

11 May 2015

I'll be sticking to RE8 for quite a while longer too ;)

It's not like it's the only DAW I have so... with rewire it's good enough.

paulm0000

11 May 2015

So the price has gone up for some users?

Are props in good health
financially?

joeyluck

11 May 2015

Well, I suppose it's yet to be seen if the price for Essentials will drop...? Or maybe the price of Reason will increase? Does anybody have any info on that?

Or maybe something else is around the corner?

gak

12 May 2015

I'm always on the consumer side in these situations. I just think that considering the rather large amount of advertising and somewhat "interesting" tactics like this it's kinda weird.

For me, it means nothing (sorry) but it's kinda strange.

@"something around the corner": Two thoughts: a) whoopie if it IS true! b) Er, it seems strange that they'd raise the price and then release another product with yet another upgrade (unless) they are planning the ol' "if you bought it from date x, you get the "free" upgrade" thing. 

Are you confused yet? :rofl:  

joeyluck

12 May 2015

Well, all things considered, I still think it's nice they give a heads up.

Pricing does change from time to time. And again, folks would be complaining if they weren't given a heads up. I don't see it as a ploy, but just a gesture to give a heads up. A little transparency. 

If a customer bought Essentials and not Reason, they made that decision... If they haven't upgraded yet, they may not have plans to upgrade anyways... They can still upgrade now or later. They know their options. And again, we don't know what the price structuring will be across the board... Will Essentials decrease in price? Will Reason increase in price? Maybe this is the only change? I dunno.

But again, we have the heads up. So I guess it's a case of: damned if you offer transparency, damned if you don't...

gak

12 May 2015

You are not incorrect. I just approach things from a cynical POV :rofl:

But I've been on the "bandwagon" for about maybe 4 months now? I love it. I don't know what I ever did w/o it (other than overspend on a bunch of crud that never really truly worked correctly! ) 

nscerri

12 May 2015

Hope they do not mess around with Reason upgrade from 8 to 9 

Emian

12 May 2015

nscerri wrote:Hope they do not mess around with Reason upgrade from 8 to 9 

or from 7 to 9 ... ;)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Buddaka

12 May 2015

"or from 7 to 9 ...  ;) "

Same for me. If PH gonna force me to pay more for upgrading, they dont get no money from me at all. 7 is my lucky number anyway.  :P

jam-s

12 May 2015

They might be working on successively lowering the price of Reason Essentials and in turn to up the price for an upgrade to Reason. This might be a good strategy for them, if they are planning to make Reason Essentials free in the future. That way they could massively increase the size of the RE market for very little cost.

Alkua

12 May 2015

Good for you Reason 7 users. I think by the time propellerheads want to release reason 9 and they see there are a lot of users still in reason 7, they might offer more and better stuff in the upgrade, and not just 2-3 rack extensions that you we might not use.

I upgraded from 6 to 8 and I haven't used the softtube amps.  

The Intrancer

12 May 2015

The next email will go along something like this..." Hay Reason user, we are sure you are enjoying our very regular emails, have you checked out Reason 8 yet, if so..then check out our new mojo app while you're at it...oh wait, we have some even better news, we're offering you a one and only time limited offer for a one way trip to New York* for one day only. Departing on Sunday 24th of May 2015, but wait, you also get a free upgrade to Reason 8.5 normally a free version upgrade. To qualify you need to transfer Reason Essentials to another user, upload something to our new exciting 'Take That' service...it's free, (like us... we know the joys of having the new surgically implanted retina IPhone technology, which enables you to walk around town using our service without getting hit by a bus) This offer expires Saturday 23rd of May.. so get buying buying buying... "

**User's will have to have bought £2000's worth of Rack Extensions within a 24 hour time period, tickets are non refundable, Rack Extensions are not refundable, nor Reason Essentials if you miss your flight, costs are not included, for food, nor care of any animals left behind.
AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

KEVMOVE02

12 May 2015

I have worked for several consumer product companies and have had my fair share of customer resolution calls. It is pretty standard fair for a spate of callers complaining that we're a money grubbing, inconsiderate and incompetent bunch of losers whose company is going to fail because we don't make a good enough product to justify the prices we charge. One day it occurred to me that if we live long enough, at some point in time, all of us will work for a company that will have at least one customer feel this way. So when we criticize Propellerhead, does that at some point in time, we will hear the same criticism about the work we do?

joeyluck

12 May 2015

There's always something, right?

I just imagine what this thread would be had the price just changed today with no heads up and folks saying, "I was going to upgrade and then saw that the price just went up! Why no heads up?"

But that's not the case is it?

And then there will be people after May 20th looking to upgrade who will say they didn't see the email because "I unsubscribed because they were spamming me."

In which others will reply "That's not spam, as it was not unsolicited. You signed up for the newsletters."

And then somehow the blame will still come back to Propellerhead that, "Had they not been reminding me about the amazingly, graciously price Rig Bundles, I wouldn't have unsubscribed...and then I wouldn't have missed the heads up on the upcoming price change to upgrade from Essentials."

And then someone will say, "Why didn't you just use filters in your email?"

And on-and-on...

LOL

nscerri

12 May 2015

@Emain.. hehe was not my intension to exclude other version upgrades... sorry for my oversight.

CharlyCharlzz

12 May 2015

I am on Reason 7 point something and still havent upgrade or buyed a bundle  but I think I'm going for the bundle first anyway.

upgrade will wait , I have no use of the new options even if them amps sound fancy .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

KEVMOVE02

13 May 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:I am on Reason 7 point something and still havent upgrade or buyed a bundle  but I think I'm going for the bundle first anyway.

upgrade will wait , I have no use of the new options even if them amps sound fancy .
That's really unfortunate. I hope opportunities spring forth for you that allow you to reach new heights and new people with your musical endeavors, regardless whether you need to upgrade or not.

jappe

14 May 2015

joeyluck wrote:There's always something, right?

I just imagine what this thread would be had the price just changed today with no heads up and folks saying, "I was going to upgrade and then saw that the price just went up! Why no heads up?"

And then there will be people after May 20th looking to upgrade who will say they didn't see the email because "I unsubscribed because they were spamming me."

In which others will reply "That's not spam, as it was not unsolicited. You signed up for the newsletters."

And then somehow the blame will still come back to Propellerhead that, "Had they not been reminding me about the amazingly, graciously price Rig Bundles, I wouldn't have unsubscribed...and then I wouldn't have missed the heads up on the upcoming price change to upgrade from Essentials."

And on-and-on...

LOL
There will alway be possibilities for complaining:-)
This announcement can be seen as a heads up. But it can also be seen as negative marketing: buy this now,or else...
I would have launched a campaign with a discounted price.And after the campaign, the heads up. win-win.
Hmm...what about those who missed the campaign by x days?
Have a policy to grant them the discounted price.
Perhaps what Props did now will make enough customers happy. But doing as I suggested would have made even more ppl happy,which I think the Props need and deserve.
Just trying to run the company for them, a little bit.

joeyluck

14 May 2015

joeyluck wrote:There's always something, right?

And on-and-on...

LOL
jappe wrote: There will alway be possibilities for complaining:-)
This announcement can be seen as a heads up. But it can also be seen as negative marketing: buy this now,or else...
I would have launched a campaign with a discounted price.And after the campaign, the heads up. win-win.
Hmm...what about those who missed the campaign by x days?
Have a policy to grant them the discounted price.
Perhaps what Props did now will make enough customers happy. But doing as I suggested would have made even more ppl happy,which I think the Props need and deserve.
Just trying to run the company for them, a little bit.
But then you would have a customer that got it at a discounted price, another who didn't (before and after), and another who pays more than both those customers in a short period of time? There would be complaints any way you slice it :/

The Intrancer

14 May 2015

How about giving an unrestricted version of Reason Essentials away as a free product just as they did with Rebirth, the props would get more people to be inclined to upgrade to Reason XXX, and show they are on the side of the user, giving them more of a creditable and inviting image to the company and it's products. Even Presonus has a free user savable version of Studio One. https://shop.presonus.com/products/stud ... o-One-Free

The only image I'm getting from Propellerheads nowadays, is constant / desperate and somewhat cynical measures to draw as much money out of any users they have without going with a terrible yearly service agreement plan, a horrible can of worms imop that I and many couldn't stomach).

Things have really gone down hill in marketing Reason since James Bernard left the company, the only image I'm seeing is a friggen Iphone app image.. :D

AKA Scottym         
http://www.reasontalk.com/profile/3716617 
https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff-1 13 Tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/theintrancer 16 Tracks  
Independent views and advice-Digital CGI/Music Artist, Forum Stats & Links Extended- Embrace And Learn From What I Do Or Disengage, It's Your Choice, Life Is Getting Shorter - I've No Time For Cry Babies

• Information