The End Marker

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ethday

11 May 2015

I've been using Reason for over a decade now and it's occurred to me I have no idea if there's a way to stop playback at the end marker.  

Basically, I want the song to stop automatically when it gets to the end and not play indefinitely until the laptop battery goes dead.  At the moment the playhead keeps moving ad infinitum even after the end marker.  If I trigger a song and move to another instrument and come back at the end of the set or something I see that it's been playing for like an hour or something.  

Is there any way for a song to end automatically?

Exowildebeest

11 May 2015

The end marker has always been oddly symbolic :)

Marco Raaphorst

11 May 2015

I do large project, 45 minutes, 60 minutes files. Setting the End marker is like... a lot of work.

Ostermilk

11 May 2015

I think I made a similar thread about the end marker a few weeks back, except then I just realised there was no way of navigating to it quickly.

http://www.reasontalk.com/post/song-end-marker-7371859

It seems the end marker is to Reason what an ash tray is to a motorcycle, except the motorcycle ash tray is probably a bit more useful.

gak

12 May 2015

Probably sounds captain obvious and already known but the only thing I'm aware of is that the end marker is for rendering. 

Stupid question though since I don't actually use them, would blocks do any good here?

joeyluck

12 May 2015

It would be helpful for ensuring you're not cutting off a reverb tail at the end or leaving more silence than you would like before exporting...

Gaja

12 May 2015

It would also be helpful to use it as a "ruler" so to speak for stuff like aligning transients.
Apart from that and telling Reason when to stop exporting I haven't found a decent use for it.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

MetalKris

16 May 2015

ethday wrote: Is there any way for a song to end automatically?
Actually, yes.
Provided that you have R7 or above. Please note that I am not the creator of this trick as I learnt it from someone in PUF. Also, I am a super-beginner so I might describe things wrongly.
So, let's say that you want your song to end (stop) and bar 50. Create an External Midi Device and draw a clip at bar 50. Then draw a note, let's say C1, at the beginning of the bar (or wherever you prefer, this is where the song will stop).
Now, right click on the stop button on the sequencer and click on "Edite Remote Override Mapping". On the window appearing, on the "control surface" drop-down menu, click the midi port that you also use with the external midi device (so, don't select your REAL external device).
Then, on the following section ("Control"), select Keyboard.
Eventually, on "Note Number", write C1.

Basically, whenever Reason receives a C1 note, it will stop like if you had clicked on stop in the sequencer.
Clearly, if you select your hardware keyboard, you can set on note to stop the sequencer when hit. But this is not the case, since you want to automatically stop.
So, just put THAT note wherever you want Reason to stop.

Really hope I helped...
Ciao!

stfual

19 May 2015

Its useful in blocks.  You can use the right marker to loop a block section and the end marker to loop the block.

gak

20 May 2015

stfual wrote:Its useful in blocks.  You can use the right marker to loop a block section and the end marker to loop the block.
I wondered about that ;)  

• Information