Audio renders few ms off-sync

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
WillyOD

11 May 2015

Hello. I've had a problem for quite a while now (maybe 6-7 months). I'll try to explain this as simply as possible.

I make music, then I render it out to a .WAV file. I'll send it to my friend, who imports the .WAV into an empty Reason project (same tempo). Then he records vocals over the music, renders and sends the vocal track to me.

When I import the vocals back to my project, they are a little off-sync. Something like 8-30ms. It varies. It's really, really annoying, because  I have to manually line up the vocals etc.

We're both using 96kHz and 24-bit. There's no stretching going on. It doesn't make a difference whether there's "empty" audio at the beginning of the project or the vocal takes start for example mid-song.

Any ideas?
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Kategra

11 May 2015

Hello,

There are 2 possible issues that could happen independently:

1.)  Each time you import audio track into reason there is a chance that it's not lined up with the start of the song (even if Snap to grid is ON)
Solution -> turn OFF Snap to grid and then align the imported audio with the start of the song, then you can turn Snap back ON and move the track to the start of measure that you need.

2.) Whenever recording audio, this is done with a latency (delay), so who ever is recording could set the recording latency compensation in Reason preferences. It's directly tied to the sample rate of the project and audio latency setup.  

WillyOD

11 May 2015

Thanks!

It's not about snapping (I do just what you said or enter the starting point to 1.1.1.0 with a keyboard).

About 2... I haven't really thought about this at all, this is probably it. I'm just wondering why the delay varies since my friend's hardware and audio settings have remained the same all along?
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

rcbuse
RE Developer

11 May 2015

WillyOD wrote:Hello. I've had a problem for quite a while now (maybe 6-7 months). I'll try to explain this as simply as possible.

I make music, then I render it out to a .WAV file. I'll send it to my friend, who imports the .WAV into an empty Reason project (same tempo). Then he records vocals over the music, renders and sends the vocal track to me.

When I import the vocals back to my project, they are a little off-sync. Something like 8-30ms. It varies. It's really, really annoying, because  I have to manually line up the vocals etc.

We're both using 96kHz and 24-bit. There's no stretching going on. It doesn't make a difference whether there's "empty" audio at the beginning of the project or the vocal takes start for example mid-song.

Any ideas?
Have you confirmed with your own ears that it sounds differently on your system vs your friends?  8-30ms is pretty short might not be perceptible to some people, especially if you are talking vocals.

• Information