So when does Discover come out of Beta?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
zeebot

10 May 2015

Just went to the site to have a look at the sales and had to ease my curiosity of discover since my last visit.
Sorry to say its still the same generic type figure loops, acoustic guitars and singers recorded badly..or simply recorded silence (eat your heart out Cage!)
It needs a radical rethink or they should just put it out of its misery.
I cant see anyone actually sharing fully completed tracks made in reason apart from a few known users who I assume were requested to contribute to 'get the ball rolling' and the props staff themselves.
All in all I think its been quite a fail but I'm sure others will have differing opinions.

I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

FATCheese

10 May 2015

I would love to use it. But still on Reason 7.
I can see the benefits of the upload button in Reason 8 but....
I can't even upload the wave myself on my page (for as far as I can see).

So... No upgrade to Reason 8 for me at this point.
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

guitfnky

10 May 2015

I agree it needs to mature quite a lot, but it certainly has its merits, as-is. for one, it's incredibly easy to share versions of mixes with others to solicit feedback. I've used it a lot to share the progress I've been making on the mixes for my band's new tracks. very useful, in that regard.

for me, it will come into its own once there's an ability to share the tracks as individual stems (ideally with the option to export projects as-is; i.e. the entire project file, MIDI tracks, effects routing and all). I think Discover will be amazing once we can pull out the individual bits of a project that we're most inspired by, whether that's a single goofy cowbell loop, or an entire track.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

FGL

10 May 2015

@ FATcheese

The main use for me is to have a nice little IOS Recorder coupled with Reason. But is also nice for sharing fast some. Sketches Beats or Loops.

FGL

10 May 2015

zeebot wrote:Just went to the site to have a look at the sales and had to ease my curiosity of discover since my last visit.
Sorry to say its still the same generic type figure loops, acoustic guitars and singers recorded badly..or simply recorded silence (eat your heart out Cage!)
It needs a radical rethink or they should just put it out of its misery.
I cant see anyone actually sharing fully completed tracks made in reason apart from a few known users who I assume were requested to contribute to 'get the ball rolling' and the props staff themselves.
All in all I think its been quite a fail but I'm sure others will have differing opinions.
I think it should be searchable. Like it works now, you only find the Highligted stuff and the new ones.

Emian

10 May 2015

i agree there is a lot to be adjusted.

promoting collaborations by only allowing to share WAV-files doesn't make sense at all to me.
i find it much more interresting to just send a dropbox-link of a Reasonfile to collab (alltough the difference in wich RE's one owns is still a limitation imo).

upgrading to 8 crossed my mind lately, just because the drag & drop, but all the rest i don't care for...
on the other hand, version 8 is now 8 months old, & very likely an update will come out later this year, i believe.
for now i'd rather spend my money to some RE's (maybe one of the rigs, i allready bought the McDSP comps for a great price just now) , & my new MIDI keyboard i ordered.

i'm very happy to see the future of RE-land as there are many interresting things to be released commin' months  (one involving a :) .... )

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

zeebot

10 May 2015

FGL wrote:@ FATcheese The main use for me is to have a nice little IOS Recorder coupled with Reason. But is also nice for sharing fast some. Sketches Beats or Loops.
Just wondering if you'd seen this if you like field recording and such :)

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/iq6
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Exowildebeest

10 May 2015

According to Ernst's blog, it was the biggest thing since Reason or something like that...

I think it's a largely irrelevant addition to Propellerheads' ecosphere. Nice for a few people who use it, and a nice extra feature for the mobile apps, but nothing really revolutionary, special or popular with advanced users.

It's probably here to stay and won't be "put out of it's misery" anytime soon, but that's about it. It'll exist. Most of us can safely ignore it, until exporting becomes online-upload-only ;)

phasys

10 May 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:According to Ernst's blog, it was the biggest thing since Reason or something like that...

I think it's a largely irrelevant addition to Propellerheads' ecosphere. Nice for a few people who use it, and a nice extra feature for the mobile apps, but nothing really revolutionary, special or popular with advanced users.

It's probably here to stay and won't be "put out of it's misery" anytime soon, but that's about it. It'll exist. Most of us can safely ignore it, until exporting becomes online-upload-only ;)
Why are you on the internet! You should be going out into the streets, because that's where the musicians are. Ernst said so!

FGL

10 May 2015

zeebot wrote:Just wondering if you'd seen this if you like field recording and such :)

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/iq6
I check the price from time to time. But it is way overzised for what I do. And I am shure it is not in my Pocket if needed. The Smartphone is always there.

zakalwe

12 May 2015

FGL wrote:@ FATcheese The main use for me is to have a nice little IOS Recorder coupled with Reason. But is also nice for sharing fast some. Sketches Beats or Loops.
i can see the value of it as a cloud service but for a stem sharing service it is bizarrely limited at the moment.  the point of stems is they are completely compatible with any software but discover requires reason 8...

FGL

12 May 2015

@ zakalwe

I don‘t think that this is somehow surprising. PH is acting like any other company and they want that the customer stay inside of the PH Suite. Why should they make the live more easy for Ableton or Logic users.

zakalwe

12 May 2015

FGL wrote:@ zakalwe

I don‘t think that this is somehow surprising. PH is acting like any other company and they want that the customer stay inside of the PH Suite. Why should they make the live more easy for Ableton or Logic users.
because they might bring content to it.  and i'm in the reason suite and i can't use it.

there's exclusive and then there's tumbleweeds i'm afraid.

Faastwalker

13 May 2015

At the moment it's pretty ordinary. I don't think they should have launched it in it's current state. They made a big deal of it (it's dominated the Propellerhead website ever since launch) but the experience is quite lame. You can't even search for stuff. And only being able to upload under your (God knows how many year old) Propellerhead account name is not much good either. We should at least be able to choose to upload under an alias. I've suggested this on Facebook. Propellerhead replied saying they are looking into it. But I won't hold my breath. This is Propellerhead we're talking about so maybe something might happen within the next few years if we're lucky. I've a feeling most people will loose interest before this even gets out of beta.

Soft Enerji

13 May 2015

I've not even bothered looking into it to be honest. If I want to collab with someone I'd rather invite, or be invited to take part. Yes I can see the point of the random stuff but...........nah! I think Props have lost the plot with this one.

I reckon they may have taken a big step backwards as far as getting into the mainstream DAW market. RE's started that for me anyway!

jappe

13 May 2015

It's a nice free cloud storage service for wave files, nothing more than that to me.

I wonder if it would be possible to share *.reason files by making some program that embeds the .reason-file to share into a wave file. And then import that "wave" file into reason and drop it:-)
Would need to have a program to unpack it on the receiving side.
I suspect it would break something in the licence agreement very badly though:-)

Though I guess the reason file would be destroyed since they are compressing the file.

Exowildebeest

13 May 2015

It's not even a wave file storage, as the uploads are compressed in a lossy format ;) Or has that changed?

Yonatan

27 May 2015

Semes that Discover have just gone out of BETA!? :)

tiker01

27 May 2015

Yonatan wrote:Semes that Discover have just gone out of BETA!? :)
It certainly got a new face but no apparent new features in terms of the sharing service. It is growing for sure.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Faastwalker

27 May 2015

Still hanging for the ability to change username, or at least have aliases. If I'm serious about putting stuff out there, even for a bit of fun, I don't really want to be doing so under my 15 year old Propellerhead forum username!! Discover has potential & is cool. But for the time being I'm on the fence. Uploaded some stuff, had fun with it for a week or two, then took everything down. It's in it's infancy & has a long way to go be mildly important beyond Propllerhead users. Propellerhead users does now of course including iOS users so that could be a big part of Discovers potential success.

scrag

27 May 2015

Faastwalker wrote:Still hanging for the ability to change username, or at least have aliases. If I'm serious about putting stuff out there, even for a bit of fun, I don't really want to be doing so under my 15 year old Propellerhead forum username!! Discover has potential & is cool. But for the time being I'm on the fence. Uploaded some stuff, had fun with it for a week or two, then took everything down. It's in it's infancy & has a long way to go be mildly important beyond Propllerhead users. Propellerhead users does now of course including iOS users so that could be a big part of Discovers potential success.
We can do this now - this was something that was adjusted this morning. If you get in touch with us at support, and let us know what you'd like your username changed to, we'll sort it out for you.

Send us a couple of options in case your first choice isn't available!

Faastwalker

27 May 2015

Faastwalker wrote:Still hanging for the ability to change username, or at least have aliases. If I'm serious about putting stuff out there, even for a bit of fun, I don't really want to be doing so under my 15 year old Propellerhead forum username!! Discover has potential & is cool. But for the time being I'm on the fence. Uploaded some stuff, had fun with it for a week or two, then took everything down. It's in it's infancy & has a long way to go be mildly important beyond Propllerhead users. Propellerhead users does now of course including iOS users so that could be a big part of Discovers potential success.
scrag wrote:
We can do this now - this was something that was adjusted this morning. If you get in touch with us at support, and let us know what you'd like your username changed to, we'll sort it out for you.

Send us a couple of options in case your first choice isn't available!
Cool. So I send a message to support to change username?!

EDIT: No Australia in the list of countries (from 'support' button)??!! Do I just pretend I'm from somewhere else?!

Attachments
fuck.jpg
fuck.jpg (197.04 KiB) Viewed 1672 times

scrag

27 May 2015

Faastwalker wrote: Cool. So I send a message to support to change username?!

EDIT: No Australia in the list of countries (from 'support' button)??!!

Yes! And, don't worry about selecting your country in that list. It's actually a list of countries where we have representatives that can handle support in a particular language if needed.

If your country isn't on that list, it doesn't mean that you can't send us a mail, just that we don't have anyone in your country to answer your mail, and so the mail will come to us in Stockholm.

(So going to need to change the text on that page... so many questions from people who can't find their country! :) )

Faastwalker

27 May 2015

Faastwalker wrote: Cool. So I send a message to support to change username?!

EDIT: No Australia in the list of countries (from 'support' button)??!!

scrag wrote:
Yes! And, don't worry about selecting your country in that list. It's actually a list of countries where we have representatives that can handle support in a particular language if needed.

If your country isn't on that list, it doesn't mean that you can't send us a mail, just that we don't have anyone in your country to answer your mail, and so the mail will come to us in Stockholm.

(So going to need to change the text on that page... so many questions from people who can't find their country! :) )
I selected 'Columbia'. I'm actually in Australia but Colombia sounded nice .......... Why can't we just go into our user accounts and change name / add alias?! Why do we have to contact support?!

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

27 May 2015

To be fair, it even says right there in your screenshot:

"Please note: If your country is not available in the dropdown, please e-mail Propellerhead directly below." ;)

For now, you have to contact support. Appreciate the feedback on it being a user editable field.

• Information