Adjusting velocity curves

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

07 May 2015

Is this possible in Reason 8? I've built a really cool multi-out drum kit using Reason Drum Kits but I'm finding that I have to whack the keys really hard to get to the hard hits, even with my Oxygen 61 set to the loudest velocity curve. Is there any kind of CV trickery I could use to boost the gate levels going into the device so I don't have to do this? Thanks!

Olivier

07 May 2015

There are several ways to do this, but before we go there, are you really sure you can't just alter the velocity sensitivity of whatever device you are using ? Do you perhaps use samples that are just too soft ? Which devices are you using ? :)

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

chimp_spanner

07 May 2015

Well they're PH's Reason Drum Kit patches, so there are a lot of samples/zones to edit! I think I'll give that a miss haha. As for the keyboard, as far as I can tell there are only 3 velocity sensitive curves and 3 fixed velocity settings. What I really need to do is scale 127 down to more like 120. I look forward to your suggestions man :) Thanks!

jam-s

07 May 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:What I really need to do is scale 127 down to more like 120. I look forward to your suggestions man :) Thanks!
If nothing else works, you could use a Midi-OX script for this.

gak

07 May 2015

maybe I'm just missing this entirely, but can't you just use F8 and adjust the velocity there?

chimp_spanner

07 May 2015

gak wrote:maybe I'm just missing this entirely, but can't you just use F8 and adjust the velocity there?
That would only have an impact on playback. I need this to be live. I track my drums on the keyboard "live" as it were. In Cubase I can get around this because Superior Drummer 2 has a velocity curve designer and Cubase itself has various tools including velocity compression, various ranges/limits you can impose.

Anyway I'll look into this MIDI OX thing and see what it's saying :)  

gak

07 May 2015

Ah, sorry.

Raveshaper

08 May 2015

It is technically possible, but requires you to define the velocity curves you want mathematically, then apply them in a midi codec in a complicated way that won't make sense. I think.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

FGL

08 May 2015

Some easy Solution, with Splirger one of the HAMU CV Devices:

Make a second Kong under the Kong Set that has the needed Drum Patch. Route "Drum CV Gate" out to Splirger Gate, then connect "Splirger CV Out" with the "CV In" of the Kong that should play the given Sound. Splirger has a CV Level Knob turn this to the right and this will increase the CV Signal.

Now you play your Notes with the second Kong, Splirger makes the CV boost, and your first Kong with the Drums do the Sound you want if anything works right. And for 16 Drum slots you must do this for every Drum.

FGL

08 May 2015

http://hamu.se/root/rack-extensions/mxsplirger.html

If you need more CV  Gain you can put a second Splirger in between. Every second slot must be free so you can route up to ten drums with one Splirger, for sixteen you will need two. But this is only for louder and get the hard hitting Samples, you will don't have the whole range. It is a boost.

• Information