Which one has better value Reason+Rigs $846 or Komplete Ultimate $999

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
zakalwe

11 May 2015

the lack of DAW isn't really an issue when you can have reaper for $59 or logic for $199, which also comes with a shitload of content.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 May 2015

Personally I would go for Reason + All Rigs and then add some Refills to fill the gap. Bearing in mind Reason + All Rigs is 273€ cheaper you could get the Sonic Reality Gold Bundle plus the Fairlight CMI, providing you with a full range of sounds (I also have the Korg Triton and Roland Fantom X Refills ;) )

Again it's all personal preference. I use Reason not just for it's sounds but also for its workflow as I can quite happily Rewire it if I want and use my VSTs but I just prefer this workflow. I spent a year using plugins and while it was fun I much prefer the Reason workflow right now, and I don't feel I'm lacking at all either.

Komplete is a killer and has everything that Rigs has plus more, just without the flexible routing, which you might find isn't such a deal breaker.

False dichotomy's aside, use what works and don't be shy to Rewire, bounce and create new workflows. What about creating some sound content in Reason, then processing it with VSTs and composing some parts in your VST host, then doing some Reason specific processing and continuing back and forth.

The other day I did experiment with a process of bouncing my instrument parts and immediately I saw a complete change in workflow. I just treated it all differently once it was a wave. I wasn't shy with the sound, I could happily process it with some other software if I wanted to, but what I did was treat my arrangement differently, processing the audio in ways I likely wouldn't have, just because I was visualising it differently.

But if you had to choose, choose one and stick with it as either of them will be enough (especially if you do supplement Reason with some comprehensive / genre-specific sound sets).

Ostermilk

11 May 2015

Alkua wrote:In my case, Reason is the only music production program that keeps me inspired, but it will be cool to use Native Instruments in Reason.

So, I go for Reason+Rigs
If, like yourself you already have Reason then you'd only buy the bundles you were interested in (if any).  You'd then likely buy Komplete if you had a need for it.

Which version of Komplete you went for would be another matter, personally I've never felt the draw for the Ultimate version so a cheap upgrade for the std version once in a while usually does for me.

Really it's a non-question because it's likely that only a few of us would be going out to blow the best part of £1500 on that kind of software in one go and the either one or the other scenario would be even rarer as if the need was there you'd probably go for both in some form or another.

Of course there are always those that like to play DAW pokemon and they might enjoy having to face this particullar dilemma, most here though, I should hope, will identify their particular needs and buy stuff according to those. 

As for the included Kontakt libraries in Ultimate you can normally pick them up for peanuts on KVR a few weeks after a new version comes out as a lot of it is less valuable than the extra 300Gb of disk space they take up... ;)   There's also one big downside to having a lot of popular, bundled, 'mass-market' content too in that you are likely to hear it pretty much everywhere except on anything you'd want to listen to.  That of course holds true for any content regardless of the vendor you buy it from.

• Information