Controllers for REdrum

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
paulm0000

03 May 2015

Hi

I'm looking for a controller to work well with redrum, I rarely use Kong so I'm not after the 4x4 pad type eg mpd , kordPad etc

What would be great is something similar to arturias beatstep but I've read that it doesn't work to well with reason ? Or What would be perfect is a drum machine styled controller :/

Anyone any ideas?

(So far I've the lx61 & arturia minilab looking at the p1 console, but these don't really do what I want to do)
Attachments
arturia-beatstep-controller-630-80.jpg
arturia-beatstep-controller-630-80.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 2468 times

joeyluck

03 May 2015

For more than just Redrum, I have heard LOTS of great things about the M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro.
It also has a built-in sequencer. I know you mention you don't use Kong much or are after a 4x4 type pad, but this is pretty versatile...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriggerFinPro

But also, from what I hear with latest update to Reason 8, you can now remotemap the Redrum buttons! So, there are endless great options for just Redrum now...

With the Trigger Finger Pro, you have the best of both worlds (layout for Redrum and Kong—even if you don't use Kong much at the moment). It's nice to have the 16 buttons laid out the way they are on this controller. Again, you can use the Redrum sequencer or use the built-in sequencer for Redrum, Kong, and whatever...

Huntsekker

04 May 2015

Hey, I own a TFP and I would mention the fact that it has no integration of Reason whatsoever.

I don't know how it works with other DAWs, nor if the new option of remotemap Redrum buttons makes it any better (I still didn't have the time to try this out) but have been slightly disappointed by it on a personal taste.

joeyluck

04 May 2015

Huntsekker wrote:Hey, I own a TFP and I would mention the fact that it has no integration of Reason whatsoever.

I don't know how it works with other DAWs, nor if the new option of remotemap Redrum buttons makes it any better (I still didn't have the time to try this out) but have been slightly disappointed by it on a personal taste.
Yeah I have no personal experience with it and have only heard good things. Also, this video makes it seem like a great match...
https://youtu.be/YDSxYMzUdLY

For the price, it seems it would be hard to beat. If things can be mapped and remotemap files edited, I don't see how anything can't be integrated well with Reason...

paulm0000

04 May 2015

oh right i never knew reason 8 had added remote option for redrum, ive been away for a while so this is all new to me, the TFP looks like a perfect match, if it could be integrated into reason to work with redrum.

all i really want to do is press the sequence buttons on redrum via a controller (on/off similar to an actual drum machine) , I believe this would unlock abit more creativity as im currently stuck in the routine of placing the standard four to the floor pattern and its getting rather boring.

EDIT;

Just watched the video this is what i want to do ....perfect match for what i need by the looks of it :)

joeyluck

04 May 2015

paulm0000 wrote:Just watched the video this is what i want to do ....perfect match for what i need by the looks of it :)
Yeah, in the video he is using the TFP's sequencer (which works like the Redrum sequencer). Which you could use on anything like you would the Redrum without all the CV routing.

Or, as I was mentioning... Since Reason 8.2 now allows Redrum's buttons to be mapped, you could map the buttons of the TFP to control the Redrum and use the Redrum sequencer.

I've had my eye on this controller myself :)

ahs

05 May 2015

2 Q

is it possible to change from track 1-4 to track 5-8, 9-12 etc. in the mixer. so i can step to all my tracks ?

can i have more than 4 knobs 4 parameters for one instrument ?

electrofux

05 May 2015

I wouldnt bother using anything slaved to Reasons Clock now that ReDrum is remotable. It will never be as tight as Reason standalone. How the TFP can be integrated depends on its Midi Implementation. EG does it receive Midi Comands to turn on/off lights? And how far you want or are abel to take it programming wise.

The only HW controller that i know which has inbuilt ReDrum 8.2 support is the Livid Base which is an excellent Reason Controller btw. Probably the Nektar ones have it too or they are at it.
Not sure about PusheR for the Ableton Push but i bet they are on it too.

ahs

05 May 2015

remotemap redrum ??

can someone show the advantage to me

joeyluck

05 May 2015

ahs wrote:remotemap redrum ??

More hands on. And instead of mouse clicking each pad individually... Press your 4 kicks at once... Swipe all the buttons for your hats...

Mostly, it's more hands on. Maybe inspiring to some to have tangible control.

electrofux

05 May 2015

ahs wrote:remotemap redrum ??

you mean remote maps in general or for redrum?

DanielK

05 May 2015

PUSH Controller with Retouch "Pusher" or maybe a BCR both works great! 

The Tone Ranger

09 May 2015

how is the Beatstep with the Redrum remote mapping?

• Information