Panic!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marketblandings

30 Apr 2015

Another of my nit-picky little issues:

I am working on a tune that has some really long reverb and delay tails and I get tired of waiting for them to fade out each time I stop the song to adjust, tweak compose etc.

My old-timey Cakewalk had a panic button that would immediately kill anything like that.

My Reason (Essentials) doesn't seem to have that. Is it there somewhere - maybe under a different name?

ScuzzyEye

30 Apr 2015

The Stop transport control sends all notes off, but that only affects instruments. The thing is, all devices get reset before an export starts (so those tails don't make it into output file), so it is supported, but just not exposed to the user.

I suppose you could make an automation lane for the delay times with the default value set to be short, and then automate it to the desired length during normal playback. You'll have to see if there's any undesired artifacts at the start of playback, loop, or export when the delay changes.

JNeffLind

30 Apr 2015

I've been annoyed by this same thing. 

My workaround is that after I stop the track I just move the playhead and I believe that stops the endless effects echoing. It might be that you have to move the playhead to somewhere the effects aren't in use. Don't remember for sure.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but hopefully this works if nothing else does.

Gaja

01 May 2015

If your setup allows for it, you could try and have all those long delays and echos in a combinator. Then you can simply have one of the buttons control off switches on the devices (or whatever way you come up with) and have a key on your (computer) keyboard control the button. That's your panic button right there.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

ScuzzyEye

01 May 2015

Gaja wrote:If your setup allows for it, you could try and have all those long delays and echos in a combinator. Then you can simply have one of the buttons control off switches on the devices (or whatever way you come up with) and have a key on your (computer) keyboard control the button. That's your panic button right there.
There are (in my opinion, buggy) reverbs that when turned off in the middle of a tail, will resume playing when re-enabled. The only way to kill them is to set their time to a minimum.

Pinkbox

01 May 2015

I started the exact same thread on PUF back in time...
Selig kindly came up with a thor combinator (see attached file), but unfortunately it wasn't completely satisfying.
My best option for me is still having at the end of my track a long moment where every echoes and reverbs decay are set to zero. So when I want to kill all tails, I just randomly click somewhere after the End marker.
Attachments
SeligStopperThor.zip
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

Olivier

01 May 2015

I use a matrix to kill off devices with long tails.
Set a matrix to 1 steps in length, switch over to curve mode, drag first step to full.
Now out of the matrix curve CV out there will come a signal as long as transport is running.

Now use whatever method to kill the device thats creating the tail.
I usually do this in unipolar mode.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Marketblandings

01 May 2015

Thanks guys! I think I will use The Pinkbox Method.

A place past the end of the song where decays are zeroed out. Just a click away that way.

I might miss some creative ideas, though.... sometimes I stop the song and a couple of devices get stuck cycling around in some pretty interesting ways!

Olivier

01 May 2015

Marketblandings wrote: I might miss some creative ideas, though.... sometimes I stop the song and a couple of devices get stuck cycling around in some pretty interesting ways!
Thats why i have a little combi i call: tailsenabled.. When its on all tails go on even when transport is stopped.. When disabled tails stop with transport. Its part of my template.

Get the signal from the spider up top in the combi.
Attachments
TailsEnabled.zip
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

Mastrcode

01 May 2015

Just set the the bypass switch at the top left of whatever module to off, then back to on, and the tail/delay stops immediately. An if you turn back on, the tail stays off, until a new signal feeds the reverb or delay. And you also can automate the bypass knob of each device. Or throw them in a Combi and assign one of the Combi's buttons to all the bypass switches. That's all...

zakalwe

02 May 2015

RP verb might be for you, it cuts off with transport.

that's kind of annoying too though.

ScuzzyEye

02 May 2015

Mastrcode wrote:Just set the the bypass switch at the top left of whatever module to off, then back to on, and the tail/delay stops immediately. An if you turn back on, the tail stays off, until a new signal feeds the reverb or delay.
That's not true for the TSAR. When you turn it back to On from either Off or Bypass, it starts making sound again.

Raveshaper

02 May 2015

There's an easy fix to this and it works really well when connecting a reverb to the sends on the SSL.
Here are the steps:

1 - Select the Master Section
2 - Create your Reverb (it should auto-route into the send/return)
3 - Combine the Reverb
4 - Add a Line Mixer below the Reverb
5 - Route the Reverb into Channel 1 on the Line Mixer
6 - In the programmer of the combinator, map the following assignments
Reverb
CV In1 > Decay > Min=0, Max=100 (replace with your desired decay)
Line Mixer
CV In1 > Mute > Channel 1 Mute > Min=1, Max=0
7 - Create a Matrix Pattern Sequencer above the combinator
8 - Set the Matrix to Curve mode, 1 step, 1/2 resolution
9 - Flip the rack around and run Curve CV from the Matrix to CV 1 on the combinator
10 - Set CV 1 to Unipolar mode on the combinator.

Now whenever you're playing the song the reverb will be running, but whenever you stop the track it will immediately halt.
You can preview the reverb whenever you want by clicking the "Run" button on the Matrix while you're penciling in notes/etc.

Edit: You can expand this solution by daisy chaining the signal to multiple combined reverbs using a CV Spider, but it will use more cpu the longer your CV signal flow becomes.
Most importantly, this should work with any reverb you choose.

Edit 2: Ooh...and I just realized you can automate the Pattern Select section of the Matrix to punch in and out of the reverb as part of the arrangement. Excellent thread, I learned something new!
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Marketblandings

03 May 2015

May try the "Quaizon" method, too. I need experience routing some CV around. And maybe this tail killer could go into a template.

Olivier

03 May 2015

Marketblandings wrote:May try the "Quaizon" method, too. I need experience routing some CV around. And maybe this tail killer could go into a template.
The combi from my post earlier in thist thread does exactly what Quaizon mentions with the added benefit that when you press "tails always" it disables. Giving you the opportunity to listen to those creative effect that sometimes keep cycling in interesting ways ;)

Just grab the CV signal from the top Spider, route it to the CV in of the combi your FX device is in, switch it to unipolar, add the appropriate modulation routing (for example on ECHO set Source: CV In 1, Target: Enabled, Min: Bypass, Max: on)  and you're done ^^

Marketblandings

03 May 2015

Tried the "eauhm" combi yesterday. Essentials is missing some device or other for that combi :-(

Olivier

03 May 2015

Marketblandings wrote:Tried the "eauhm" combi yesterday. Essentials is missing some device or other for that combi :-(
Aha ;) didn't think of that

EddieG

06 May 2015

double click the stop button doesn't work anymore ?

stratcatfl in the house !

ScuzzyEye

06 May 2015

EddieG wrote:double click the stop button doesn't work anymore ?
That sends 128 note-off events* (to kill any possible hung notes) to instruments, but doesn't have any effect on reverbs or delays.

*This was the source of the bug in Radical Piano. It would sound 128 key down sounds when hitting stop.

EddieG

08 May 2015

ah
sorry
carry on, then
stratcatfl in the house !

Marco Raaphorst

09 May 2015

1. note-off is one thing
2. all controller data on 0 is another

I would love to see point 2. being implemented in Reason one day... 

If you are using an evelope in the track for setting the release level, Reason will play this sustained sound because it doesn't set the controller data to 0. Mmm...

• Information