Time for some Reason research

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

29 Apr 2015

Hi!
The fame can wait for now, as I'm gonna stop rushing with writing & mixing and do my homework.
There's no other way than just taking a new overlook of Reason. A new overlook is badly needed as lot of the things have changed over the years. I'll put some time into Reason research - then practise and learm my tools. Some of you may know my style and sound, but anyway . . learning is just feckin exciting.

I have noticed already how different the EQ's can sound. Also the biggest time-eater has been the master section. I have an 8-band compressor on there + a limiter. So far this chain has the most professional sound I've ever got. The professional sound is possible with Reason . . well I have heard some great stuff made with Reason. Everyone has their own sound, but I'm talking about top-notch/clean sound, which doesn't have the so called "Reason Sound". I know how stereo widener, as example works like a charm, to get ridd of the super stereo kind of sound. I also know how most music people like, have about 4-6 sounds playing at the same time. Anyway, my tip is: Never throw your school-hat away and make music from the ground.

Cheers!

Heikki

jappe

29 Apr 2015

Good idea.
I've had "learning how to master the Subtractor" on my todo list for some years now:-)

jfrichards

29 Apr 2015

Hey Heikki, I honestly feel that you achieved professional level sounds, arrangements, mixing, unique songs and lyrics years ago.  The only thing missing in my opinion is having a super dynamic vocalist.  You could coach them in phrasing and cement them into your grooves and people would be shocked.  Your vocals are cool and should be a component, but are not enough to be center stage all the time in my opinion.  If you could audition 25 vocalists and try out one or two seriously, I think you'd be surprised how far it could go.

deepndark

29 Apr 2015

jfrichards wrote:Hey Heikki, I honestly feel that you achieved professional level sounds, arrangements, mixing, unique songs and lyrics years ago.  The only thing missing in my opinion is having a super dynamic vocalist.  You could coach them in phrasing and cement them into your grooves and people would be shocked.  Your vocals are cool and should be a component, but are not enough to be center stage all the time in my opinion.  If you could audition 25 vocalists and try out one or two seriously, I think you'd be surprised how far it could go.
Thanks for the compliments mate. I sure could have some Pro-level rappers/singers working with me.
It's not easy to find them tho. Actually there's one lady I know who was suppose to sing for me, she's a friend over facebook. Could try her voice at some point. Anyway, I'm slowly getting music done again and my mental health is also pretty good. I'm a perfectionist, which isn't always a good thing, but .. I try to learn a solution for every challenge. :)

dana

29 Apr 2015

If you're not big.. Marketing is the missing link.

Tincture

29 Apr 2015

You never know. And hey, once you write that hit... at least 75 people will know :) 43 people listened to my last song.

pLansford

29 Apr 2015

All this stuff depends on your personal taste and the kind of music you're doing.  We can all be on hamster wheels aiming for perfection but there really is no such thing.  I remember listening to a Katy Perry song (top 40 pop) recently and thinking wow that snare is obnoxiously loud.  Just gotta jump in and start swimming I guess.

Mastrcode

30 Apr 2015

deepndark wrote:Hi!
The professional sound is possible with Reason . . well I have heard some great stuff made with Reason. Everyone has their own sound, but I'm talking about top-notch/clean sound, which doesn't have the so called "Reason Sound".
Thre's no specific "Reason sound". This sound is just a result of the experience level of a lot users. If you know, how to work with Reason you can get a high quality sound out of Reason. And no one can remark that it is made with Reason. A while ago a Reason user started a competition. He made several sounds first with another DAW and high end VST plugins. Then he made the same sounds with Reason. And no one who listened to these sounds was able to say which sound was made with Reason. I listened to a lot of tracks made with Reason, wih such a high quality, where i never thought, that these were made with Reason.

And i know, that even some sound designers of some big game developers design the game music and background stuff also with Reason.

Mastrcode

30 Apr 2015

But for me the best example for a noticeable specific sound is the Nexus VST. You can always remark, in which tracks the Nexus VST was used. I would describe this sound as a kind of "plastic" sound. In a lot of the actual EDM/Trance/Dance/Hands Up tracks you can directly hear, that the Nexus was used...

Yonatan

01 May 2015

Would love to listen to your tracks. Where can I listen? 

deepndark

01 May 2015

Yonatan wrote:Would love to listen to your tracks. Where can I listen? 
I deleted shitloads of music but there's some you can hear over my soundcloud page:

• Information