Anyone using Reason on a touchscreen laptop?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

27 Apr 2015

I've got a Lenovo Z500T with 10 point touch and it's kind of silly that I'm not really using it for anything! It'd be nice to be able to pinch and zoom directly into a part of the screen but Windows Magnifier doesn't allow for this. I have managed to set it up so it works okay-ish, but it feels like it could be more fluid. Does anyone know of any cool third party utilities?

normen

27 Apr 2015

I played around with a touch screen PC but I came to the conclusion that Reason really is made for using it with a mouse..

chimp_spanner

27 Apr 2015

normen wrote:I played around with a touch screen PC but I came to the conclusion that Reason really is made for using it with a mouse..
I'm thinking more for step sequencers like Korde, ReDrum, etc. and for patch tweaking. Sequencing and more intricate work I think I'd always opt for the trackpad or a mouse. Routing cables is cool on touch screen though. 

normen

27 Apr 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:I'm thinking more for step sequencers like Korde, ReDrum, etc. and for patch tweaking. Sequencing and more intricate work I think I'd always opt for the trackpad or a mouse. Routing cables is cool on touch screen though. 
Yeah I thought so too but all the small buttons, the rotaries etc.. I quickly dismissed the idea. It was invariably quicker and easier with a mouse / trackpad.

chimp_spanner

27 Apr 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:I'm thinking more for step sequencers like Korde, ReDrum, etc. and for patch tweaking. Sequencing and more intricate work I think I'd always opt for the trackpad or a mouse. Routing cables is cool on touch screen though. 
normen wrote:
Yeah I thought so too but all the small buttons, the rotaries etc.. I quickly dismissed the idea. It was invariably quicker and easier with a mouse / trackpad.
This is where zooming comes in handy. It makes it waaay way easier. The only thing that sucks is that the closer you zoom in the uglier it looks. And also like I said you can't pinch and zoom into a device. This is how I've got it set up at the moment. Each device basically is the size of my screen now. I can zoom in further if I want but it's a bit too pixellated. 
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-04-27_12.12.27.png
Screenshot_2015-04-27_12.12.27.png (629.54 KiB) Viewed 4003 times

tiker01

27 Apr 2015

Here is video showing Reson 8 on Microsoft Surface pro. The guy has quite extensive tests on the DAW+Touchscreen topic.

https://youtu.be/Sxw8V88C4xo

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

chimp_spanner

27 Apr 2015

Very cool video man, thank you for sharing! I never thought to use the display scaling in Windows to make Reason a little more touch friendly. Awesome!

KEVMOVE02

27 Apr 2015

Fortunately, I own the HP Slate 21 Pro, which doubles as a 21 inch HDMI touchscreen monitor and a 21 inch Android tablet(running Kit Kat)! With a monitor this size, the touchscreen features are particularly useful, especially if you are playing bass or guitar. There is a trade off: a USB uplink from the monitor to the laptop/desktop is required, so you lose a usb port.  

rvman

29 Apr 2015

At some point Reason will need to be updated to be more accommodating to touchscreens/large monitors. Actually all DAWS need to be. Powerful tablets are only going to be more prevalent. And, IMO, other companies are already ahead of PH with this.

I had been planning on a powerful desktop this year, but I'm rethinking that. I like being mobile but without my laptop.
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

rvman

29 Apr 2015

KEVMOVE02 wrote:Fortunately, I own the HP Slate 21 Pro, which doubles as a 21 inch HDMI touchscreen monitor and a 21 inch Android tablet(running Kit Kat)! With a monitor this size, the touchscreen features are particularly useful, especially if you are playing bass or guitar. There is a trade off: a USB uplink from the monitor to the laptop/desktop is required, so you lose a usb port.  
Hey that's nice. And I've been wanting a monitor to hook my laptop to. Hmmm....
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

gak

30 Apr 2015

I bought an ipad (omg, now I need a pipe and a flannel shirt with loafers!) with the main reason being for rstouch.

Not sure how I lived w/o it. It's ace-cubed. 

Thinking though that unless you had a killer screen, it wouldn't be too cool to have just a monitor/w touch. What I mean is that the ipad, though small, has a smaller real-estate signature BUT easy to see knobs/controls. It's so much easier and far more accurate to use the SSL console for example.

But if I had to reach over my midi keyboard, I don't think I'd dig it as much.

gak

30 Apr 2015

btw, though I can't find it, the same guy in that video has something floating out there with a larger touch screen and it's basically where a keyboard would normally go. I'll keep looking and edit this if I find it.

dana

30 Apr 2015

I tried using reason back when it was record+reason with a large touchscreen and i just found it easier to use a mouse or a mac large-format trackpad.

apostrophedave

13 Feb 2016

ive havnt actually tried this out yet but seems like a better option compared to the windows magnifier
http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchzoomdesktop/en-us/

another app im using with reason is TouchMe gesture studio. i have it set that all the two finger swipes control the mouse wheel direction, so swiping up/down/left/right will scroll the rack, mixer or sequencer. it makes it really easy to get around. (this app might conflict with touchzoom desktop though)

Toolbar Creator is another good one which is just floating buttons that sends keyboard shortcuts to reason, like switching between rack and mixer. i use that on a tablet since i don't always have a keyboard with me but since youre using a laptop it might not be of much use to you.

• Information