Figure is free..

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
zeebot

22 Apr 2015

Get it if you dont already have it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/figure/ ... mpt=uo%3D4
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Gaja

23 Apr 2015

Didn't you get the announcement per email? ;)
Cheers!
Fredhoven

buddard
RE Developer

23 Apr 2015

The first 20 times don't count!

submonsterz

23 Apr 2015

Figure kept my attention for under an hour the first time around I tried it. Second time around I remembered in not so many minutes why I uninstalled it. In fact I if ever play on mobile apps go back to ones on my Android ie Caustic 3 , Sunvox, Oscilab and G Stomper amongst ones I have enjoyed playing with.

Yonatan

23 Apr 2015

An honest question related to Take and Figure, these seems nice, at least Take for my taste. 

But are they so unique as it is woth going for an ipad/iphone?  

As an Android user, what benefits are there for me switching to the iOS plattform? 

Just curious how you all think about the two platforms when it comes to audio apps. 

I only have a cheap phone so have not tried the audio apps for Android, 
but soon enough I will want to invest in a proper phone or pad,
as its also nice to be able to use it as a video camera.

Are iOS superior if interested in audio and video 'on the fly'?

buddard
RE Developer

23 Apr 2015

Yonatan wrote:As an Android user, what benefits are there for me switching to the iOS plattform? 

Just curious how you all think about the two platforms when it comes to audio apps. 
I'd say the sheer amount of available audio apps. The situation is starting to improve for Android, but it still has a lot of catching up to do...

zakalwe

23 Apr 2015

the benefits of switching to iOS devices is that you get quality music apps.

reasons for that...  probably roundtrip high latency on android, which seems to be higher than iOS no matter how well managed by vendor or developer.  piracy also perhaps.

submonsterz

23 Apr 2015

Yonatan wrote:As an Android user, what benefits are there for me switching to the iOS plattform? 

buddard wrote: I'd say the sheer amount of available audio apps. The situation is starting to improve for Android, but it still has a lot of catching up to do...
for how long ios has been about compared to android hmm I think its caught up and over took and more in most areas very very quickly and audio when taken seriously will also do the same is my bet ;) .
there`s some wicked audio apps already on android considering its age etc etc. even on my s5 I run apps flawlessly latency seems to not be an issue here I don't see much in it between my ios and android devices any more in that respect on both press something it happens as I press no laggy shite no more.

submonsterz

23 Apr 2015

zakalwe wrote:the benefits of switching to iOS devices is that you get quality music apps.

reasons for that...  probably roundtrip high latency on android, which seems to be higher than iOS no matter how well managed by vendor or developer.  piracy also perhaps.
piracy is huge on ios that's not the issue at all I don't think.

normen

23 Apr 2015

Yep, iOS has better audio support, more pro audio developers and more pro apps in general. Face it android fanboys, you are now the underdogs that us mac users were years ago. iOS is the market standard, doesn't matter how many cheap android phones were sold with contracts, app sales and developer support is what counts.

zakalwe

23 Apr 2015

zakalwe wrote:the benefits of switching to iOS devices is that you get quality music apps.

submonsterz wrote: piracy is huge on ios that's not the issue at all I don't think.
it's apparently slightly huger on android but it's all crappy.

i suppose iOS developers can always hope that apple assimilates them and pays for their retirements  :s0230:

zakalwe

23 Apr 2015

normen wrote:Yep, iOS has better audio support, more pro audio developers and more pro apps in general. Face it android fanboys, you are now the underdogs that us mac users were years ago. iOS is the market standard, doesn't matter how many cheap android phones were sold with contracts, app sales and developer support is what counts.
yes but think of all the lovely money i saved for spending on a proper computer instead of pocket fluff.

submonsterz

23 Apr 2015

lets come back to the android v ios when android has been around and developed as long as ios has been up to this point ;) .

submonsterz

23 Apr 2015

normen wrote:Yep, iOS has better audio support, more pro audio developers and more pro apps in general. Face it android fanboys, you are now the underdogs that us mac users were years ago. iOS is the market standard, doesn't matter how many cheap android phones were sold with contracts, app sales and developer support is what counts.
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=5235

Breaking news: Zero Latency on Android shown at NAMM 2015!
IK to show the universal solution for real time audio processing on Android 4.0 or later

30 December 2014

Having pioneered low-latency digital audio interfacing and processing on select Android Samsung Professional Audio devices with iRig HD-A, AmpliTube, iRig MIC HD-A and EZ Voice, IK Multimedia will present a breakthrough universal solution that provides near zero latency and real-time audio processing on a wide assortment of Android devices (running Android 4.0 or higher and compatible with USB host mode/OTG mode) at NAMM 2015.
Despite representing over 80% market share of mobile devices in circulation, Android smartphones and tablets have not established themselves as a reliable music creation platform. This is due to factors like the OS’s performance, which is not suitable for real-time processing, and the fragmentation of the platform across dozens of manufacturers and carriers.
Even with the addition of standard USB Audio I/O in the recent release of Android 5.0, the platform still lacks the ability to perform rock solid real time ultra low latency audio processing.
IK Multimedia has solved this problem with a paradigm shift of a universal solution that delivers astonishing near zero latency performance (down to 2 ms round-trip total latency) on every Android device running Android 4.0 or higher and that supports USB host mode/OTG mode independently from the device manufacturer.

This solution will be made available to the hundreds of millions of devices in circulation from manufacturers like Samsung, Google, Motorola, LG, HTC, Xiaomi and more. Finally, the capability for using the Android platform for serious music making and performance has arrived.
Try it for yourself and visit IK Booth #6520 at the 2015 NAMM Show in Anaheim, California during January 22-25, or visit our site and social channels for more information released during the show.

normen

23 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:lets come back to the android v ios when android has been around and developed as long as ios has been up to this point ;) .
You mean when the android market has been fragmented even more? Okay. ;)

submonsterz

23 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:lets come back to the android v ios when android has been around and developed as long as ios has been up to this point ;) .
normen wrote:
You mean when the android market has been fragmented even more? Okay. ;)
ill quote again :) .

IK Multimedia has solved this problem with a paradigm shift of a universal solution that delivers astonishing near zero latency performance (down to 2 ms round-trip total latency) on every Android device running Android 4.0 or higher and that supports USB host mode/OTG mode independently from the device manufacturer.

This solution will be made available to the hundreds of millions of devices in circulation from manufacturers like Samsung, Google, Motorola, LG, HTC, Xiaomi and more. Finally, the capability for using the Android platform for serious music making and performance has arrived.

and fragmentation just like the all mighty pc ;) never stopped the pc ploughing through did it .

normen

23 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:and fragmentation just like the all mighty pc ;) never stopped the pc ploughing through did it .
? Windows isn't fragmented, its quite the opposite. Or are you talking about Linux?

zeebot

23 Apr 2015

Gaja wrote:Didn't you get the announcement per email? ;)
No, I unsubbed after the last bout of discover spam :)

As for whether Figure and Take are worth getting an ios device....erm nope

It is worth getting a device for all the absolutely amazing other music apps available out there.

Korg Gadget is the standout as well as steinberg's cubasis but there are literally 100s of stunning muisc making apps out there.

That is why its worth getting an ios device.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

FGL

23 Apr 2015

@Submonsterz

Making music on a Phone don't works in my Opinion. The only thing that makes fun is recording. If you want to make some music on the go or in the garden the Ipad works fine. And the handling between beer and moms cake is much better with that then with some Laptop.

Don't know if there is something similar for PC with crosworking Apps on every Device (Phone/Tablett), but for me IOS Music is something on the Ipad not on the Phone.

Palmeira

23 Apr 2015

I'm with Zeebot, there are tons of fantastic music apps for IOS that are worth getting an IOS device for. Figure and Take are fine for messing about but not justification in themselves. Coming from being a long-time Android user I'd have to say splashing out on an iPad has really opened my eyes to what's possible on mobile devices and as much as I like Android I think the headstart IOS has in audio apps may well be here to stay.

submonsterz

23 Apr 2015

Palmeira wrote:I'm with Zeebot, there are tons of fantastic music apps for IOS that are worth getting an IOS device for. Figure and Take are fine for messing about but not justification in themselves. Coming from being a long-time Android user I'd have to say splashing out on an iPad has really opened my eyes to what's possible on mobile devices and as much as I like Android I think the headstart IOS has in audio apps may well be here to stay.
I thing it will change very soon keep you're eyes peeled

KEVMOVE02

23 Apr 2015

All of the negative talk about mobile music making apps might have some validity, if it were grounded in truth and reality. As a music making platform, the iPad and iPhone offer the technology and the software that would cost hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars to acquire in a standalone package. You can call it a money grab, but you can't ignore the fact that major players like Moog, Korg and Steinberg have dedicated resources to respond to the demand for mobile versions of their most popular products. Coupled with the creation of pro-quality audio interfaces, universal controllers and midi keyboards that work  on multiple platforms (Mobile, PC, Mac) and the value proposition increases tenfold. 

Propellerhead gets criticized for making apps that many believe to be too basic to be taken seriously as an alternative to DAW and plugin software or electronic instruments. I don't believe that much of the criticism is justified: Propellerhead made these apps to enable musical inspiration to be captured on the go. These apps are simplistic so that using the software itself is not a hindrance to "creating in the moment." These apps were design to draw people in and give them the ability to make music, regardless of skill or ability. If none of this applies to you, then you are not a part of the target demographic. I guess its a good thing that it is highly unlikely that the people who will likely respond to these apps in a positive manner will ever find this conversation and get discouraged.

KEVMOVE02

23 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:I thing it will change very soon keep you're eyes peeled
It really doesn't matter if the Android audio latency problem has been resolved, because the solution will require that the user have Android 4.4 or better AND a tablet or phone that supports low latency multi-touch OR allows you to connect a hardware controller. With the current android OS fragmentation, it is not likely that IK Multimedia (or any other android audio interface developer) will reach the sales volume to justify lowering the cost of the interface. I guess we could all keep our eyes peeled for the fresh set of rants that will materialize the moment this comes to light. 

selig
RE Developer

23 Apr 2015

normen wrote:…Face it android fanboys, you are now the underdogs that us mac users were years ago.
Not sure how long you've been working with Macs, but this is exactly how things started back in 1985-6 when I first shopped for a computer to use for music. There were some cool options on the Mac side, but pretty much none on the PC side. I had a kick ass sequencer and amazing patch and sample editing software - and I somehow became the first person to release an all MIDI (and all digital!) commercial CD that year using my humble Mac 512. It wasn't until the late 90s that pros started even being able to choose PCs as a viable option, mainly due to the powerful gaming computers one could assemble if you had the time and knowledge (of a friend with the same!).

"It's just another case of history repeating…"
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

23 Apr 2015

selig wrote:Not sure how long you've been working with Macs, but this is exactly how things started back in 1985-6 when I first shopped for a computer to use for music. There were some cool options on the Mac side, but pretty much none on the PC side. I had a kick ass sequencer and amazing patch and sample editing software - and I somehow became the first person to release an all MIDI (and all digital!) commercial CD that year using my humble Mac 512. It wasn't until the late 90s that pros started even being able to choose PCs as a viable option, mainly due to the powerful gaming computers one could assemble if you had the time and knowledge (of a friend with the same!).

"It's just another case of history repeating…"
:)
Oh, for media/music apps sure, I was more talking generally here. Can't say that I used a Mac in '85 when I was six years old though ;)

• Information