Onboard latency

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deankay

17 Apr 2015

Does anyone know if the SSL channel eq and compressor cause any latency?
If so, how can you measure it? I do have the VMG for latency but I'm not sure how I would go about routing it up to measure the latency of the channels strips eq's and comps of an audio track.

Thanks

normen

17 Apr 2015

No they don't. You can try with a VMG by connecting the measure output to the input of a mix channel and the direct outs to the measuring input.

deankay

17 Apr 2015

normen wrote:No they don't. You can try with a VMG by connecting the measure output to the input of a mix channel and the direct outs to the measuring input.
Thanks, Norman.

But if you have audio tracks there is no input to the mixer, it is only with mix channels.
But I'm happy, I know what to do now.
Thanks

normen

17 Apr 2015

deankay wrote: Thanks, Norman.

But if you have audio tracks there is no input to the mixer, it is only with mix channels.
But I'm happy, I know what to do now.
Thanks
But mix channels are an SSL channel too..

Mastrcode

30 Apr 2015

normen wrote:No they don't. You can try with a VMG by connecting the measure output to the input of a mix channel and the direct outs to the measuring input.
I noticed, that some devices of Reason have latency. Especially Thor. I made a Combinator Patch with a Thor, where the audio in's of Thor were affected by Thor's amp envelope, before the incoming audio signal reaches Thor's audio out's, to build a kind of MIDI note controlled sidechain/trance gate effect. No matter, if the amp envelope will be triggered by played MIDI-notes or triggered by a Matrix sequencer, there's a small latecy, till the Amp envelope starts working. Even if the amp env's attack is completely set to 0. Preferably you can hear it, when using it as a sidechain like processor for pumping pads/basses. There's always a small click, when the pad/bass starts the same time together with a pressed trigger note for this thor and the pad will be immediately completely ducked by the amp env. And the only way to compensate this is the so called "ReGroove Trick".

• Information