Where are the audio files recorded within reason saved?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ravisoni

17 Apr 2015

If I don't self contain a song, and say I record something (audio) directly into reason, where exactly does that file get saved? (Reason 8.2 specifically).
I can't find it in program data, and I can't find it in the C:/prog files folder either.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

Dr.No

17 Apr 2015

perhaps inside the rns file?

normen

17 Apr 2015

Yes, audio data is stored in the project file with lossless compression.

ravisoni

17 Apr 2015

I meant on the HD. Where do I find it?

normen

17 Apr 2015

rs wrote:I meant on the HD. Where do I find it?
You won't find single audio files, its all in the project file which is where ever you saved it.

ravisoni

17 Apr 2015

Ah, that really sucks. Oh well. Thanks, normen and Dr. No!

EnochLight

17 Apr 2015

rs wrote:I meant on the HD. Where do I find it?
normen wrote:
You won't find single audio files, its all in the project file which is where ever you saved it.
Ehh.. sort of.

It's actually saved on your scratch disc, at least until you save it as a project (and at that point, it is self-contained).

Go into your Reason Preferences, select the Advanced tab.  You can change the location by clicking the "change" button.  The default for Windows is:

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Reason\YOUR USER NAME_NUMBERS

Not sure where it is on Mac.

But yeah, even in that folder they are encrypted files that only Reason can open - not separate audio files or samples.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

17 Apr 2015

Remember you can always right mouse and bounce audio files to disk to open them in other programs!  You can only do one at a time, though. Which is kinda long if you have a lot of recordings.

DOKTOR242

17 Apr 2015

unassigned sample folder
every thing you record can be bounced to HD easily Image

EnochLight

17 Apr 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:Remember you can always right mouse and bounce audio files to disk to open them in other programs!  You can only do one at a time, though. Which is kinda long if you have a lot of recordings.
For single samples/audio clips, true.  But you can also bounce mixer channels in one single go and get stems for each and every track in your project to open in other programs.  Much easier IMHO!   :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Bewlay

28 Aug 2015

Hi there, just resurrecting this post as a search brought me here.

I'm trying to find out the source of an audio loop I used in a 6 month old reason file. Is there any way I can find out?
In other words I'm looking for the name of the original audio file.

The name of the track is not the name of the loop so it was probably originally imported and dragged from another track.
(I kind of wish Reason would default to creating a new track for all audio imports.)

Anyway I was wondering if there a way to view the contents of the Reason file at all?

Thanks.
Reason 10, Mac OS 10.9.5, Digital Performer 7
http://www.grousemusic.com/

ScuzzyEye

28 Aug 2015

Bewlay wrote:The name of the track is not the name of the loop so it was probably originally imported and dragged from another track.
Sometimes if you open the audio track in the Comp Editor, you'll see the imported file name.

Bewlay

28 Aug 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: Sometimes if you open the audio track in the Comp Editor, you'll see the imported file name.
Thanks, that's a great tip actually, I hadn't thought of that but in this case it's showing the track name as the loop name and I don't think it's the original name, if that makes sense!

ScuzzyEye

28 Aug 2015

Bewlay wrote:Thanks, that's a great tip actually, I hadn't thought of that but in this case it's showing the track name as the loop name and I don't think it's the original name, if that makes sense!
Yeah, there are some things that make the comp name pick up the track name. Once that happens any reference the the original file name is gone.

Bewlay

29 Aug 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote: Yeah, there are some things that make the comp name pick up the track name. Once that happens any reference the the original file name is gone.

Shit, yeah that's what I thought. Ah well, not to worry, thanks for the help. :)

• Information