How to move up/down to another instrument not in the sequencer ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reason.fan

11 Apr 2015

Hye
Here is my question:
i 've for example 10 different instruments.
It seems i can only change from one to another in Sequencer mode ?
It's not possible to do it in Rack mode (more easier...) ?
Thanks by advance

Lunesis

11 Apr 2015

Are you talking about changing the active instrument that is being played?

reason.fan

11 Apr 2015

Hye.
yes, when you' re in the sequencer, you only have to select up or down, or whatever the track you want with the mouse.
So, oit changes the selected instrument.
But, in rack mode, it would be nice to be able to change as easily no ?
For example, i've in my rack song:
-1 Thor
-1 subtractor
-2 combinators
-1 Kong
-1 Thor
-1 Malstrom
If, in the sequencer mode, i'm on the 1st Thor track, i can go to the subtractor by activating the second track in my song.
If i want to go to the Malstrom track, i use the mouse to select the track

So, my question: is it possible to do that in rack mode ?

Olivier

11 Apr 2015

reason.fan wrote:Hye.
yes, when you' re in the sequencer, you only have to select up or down, or whatever the track you want with the mouse.
-1 Thor
-1 subtractor
-2 combinators
-1 Kong
-1 Thor
-1 Malstrom
If, in the sequencer mode, i'm on the 1st Thor track, i can go to the subtractor by activating the second track in my song.

Sortof... but its a hassle..

If you want to do it by mouse, the only thing you can do is make sure your control surface is no longer Master Keyboard in Edit->Preferences->Control surfaces. Then you can right mouseclick and lock that control surface to whatever device you want.
But when its locked to the rack, it doesn't change with selecting another sequencer track...

Best thing you can do (imho) is to see wether your control surface has buttons to change tracks.
Go to Options->Additional Overrides and check if there's something mapped to "Target Next/Previous Track".
Be aware that this changes tracks in order of them appearing in the sequencer, even if you are in rack view.

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

EddieG

12 Apr 2015

I have requested this to support
Please do so as well
This has been driving me crazy
reason.fan wrote:Hye.
-1 Thor
-1 subtractor
-2 combinators
-1 Kong
-1 Thor
-1 Malstrom

stratcatfl in the house !

electrofux

13 Apr 2015

I have suggested to make the Sequencer spit out the track numbers via Remote so that it is possible to get the current Sequencer setup dynamically into your remote controller and then be able to use some controls to directly jump to a given track. That is not trivial though since it is not done with 2 up and down buttons. Ableton uses a Clip Matrix to make a direct jump possible for example.

Alot of suggestion regarding Navigation have been made in the past eg double click on a Rack device to set controller focus. Or have a dedicated Controller for Racknavigation etc.

Currently the only thing you can program is to make the sequencer focus hit a given track by telling him to jump to the top (press a button and the sequencer focus goes up for enough times to make sure ypu are at the top track) and then a given number downwards to hit the desired track. But that has to be coded into the remote codec.

• Information