If Props introduced a subscription plan for Reason................

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Soft Enerji
Posts: 407
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: East Lismore, NSW Australia

Post 11 Apr 2015

InDeLiBLe wrote:This is a post from gearslutz forum about Cakewalk Sonar subscription plan:


What is SONAR Membership?



Our innovative new Membership program means you'll receive all the latest features as soon as they're ready! There's no more waiting a year or more for the next paid SONAR upgrade; you'll be notified the instant new updates and customized content downloads are available in Cakewalk Command Center. Members are also entitled to free technical support and discounted Membership renewals. Best of all, after 12 months of SONAR membership you get to keep everything you've received - even if you choose not to renew.


 

Is this like a subscription? Adobe Creative Cloud and other software with "subscription" models won't let you keep anything.

 

No. The big difference with our model is that after your first 12 months of SONAR Membership you get to keep everything you have received. 

 

If I choose Monthly Membership payments, can I cancel before 12 Months?

 

Yes, but 12 consecutive monthly payments are required to permanently activate SONAR and any updates you have received. If you cancel payment or don’t pay for at least 12 months, SONAR will revert to demo mode. This means you can’t save or export projects, however anything you saved up to that point will still open and play in the demo. Once you resume payments, you can make new edits and save them. 

 

What happens when my SONAR Membership ends?

 

Once you've paid for 12 months of Membership (either up-front or monthly), you own SONAR and all updates received during your Membership period. You can then choose one of the following: 

 

a) Let your Membership lapse, and receive no further membership benefits.

b) Continue paying monthly. Membership auto-renews at the Renewal rate.

c) Pay up-front for 12 more months of Membership at the Renewal rate. 

 

 

If I let my Membership expire after 12 months, can I renew it again later?

 

Yes, you can come back any time and pay the Renewal rate. If you choose to renew Monthly payments, you will need to complete an additional 12 consecutive months to permanently activate the latest update you have received.

 

SONAR Artist, Professional, and Platinum each have a different monthly cost. Does that mean they each get different product features and content with Membership?

 

Yes. During a 12-month Membership all versions receive multiple product and content updates, however SONAR Professional Members will have additional features and content, and SONAR Platinum Members will get the most new features and content. 

 

 

Will I still get patch fixes even if I'm not an active SONAR Member?

 

No. You will need an active SONAR Membership to receive fixes and updates, but remember that customers who purchase up-front, or purchase at retail, automatically receive 12 months of Membership. During that time you’ll be receiving regular fixes, updates, and new features. And that means SONAR customers will now get more updates than ever before. 

 

Can I buy the new SONAR without membership?

 

No, but if you prefer, you can purchase the new version with a one-time payment (just like before) and ignore all the great updates. Membership Benefits are included with all versions to ensure that every SONAR user has the latest and greatest version for at least 12 months after they purchase. Gone are the days where you might purchase a SONAR Upgrade to find a new paid Upgrade just a few months later. 

 

Will I still get tech support if I'm not an active SONAR Member?

 

Technical support is available for active memberships only. If you pay upfront, you'll receive phone and email technical support for a full year after your purchase while your SONAR Membership is active. If you pay monthly, phone and email technical support will be available as long as you have an active membership. If you cancel and renew your membership at any time, technical support will be available again when your membership is renewed. 

 

What do you think about it? For me this is ridiculous.  :s0959: :s0959: :s0959:  
Like I said at the start of the thread I don't have a problem with this model as far as a subscription goes. Having said that I'd probably still rather not be locked in but I'm not ruling it out.

You say it's ridiculous.....care to elaborate?

KEVMOVE02
Posts: 267
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 12 Apr 2015

I don't know if all software will eventually adopt this model, but I am fairly certain that most companies will find this is the only way to stay in business. Companies simply can't afford to bet the farm that enough users will purchase the next version to break even, let alone make a profit. Oh, there's that evil word again. Why would anyone actually want to make money from the fruits of their labor? I don't know if this model would work for Propellerhead, but if Sonar becomes a roaring success, you can best believe that others will follow suit very quickly. Better get that underground doomsday music studio up and running before its too late!

User avatar
Grumbleweed
Competition Winner
Posts: 214
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 12 Apr 2015

InDeLiBLe wrote:This is a post from gearslutz forum about Cakewalk Sonar subscription plan:


What is SONAR Membership?



Our innovative new Membership program means you'll receive all the latest features as soon as they're ready! There's no more waiting a year or more for the next paid SONAR upgrade; you'll be notified the instant new updates and customized content downloads are available in Cakewalk Command Center. Members are also entitled to free technical support and discounted Membership renewals. Best of all, after 12 months of SONAR membership you get to keep everything you've received - even if you choose not to renew.


 

Is this like a subscription? Adobe Creative Cloud and other software with "subscription" models won't let you keep anything.

 

No. The big difference with our model is that after your first 12 months of SONAR Membership you get to keep everything you have received. 

 

If I choose Monthly Membership payments, can I cancel before 12 Months?

 

Yes, but 12 consecutive monthly payments are required to permanently activate SONAR and any updates you have received. If you cancel payment or don’t pay for at least 12 months, SONAR will revert to demo mode. This means you can’t save or export projects, however anything you saved up to that point will still open and play in the demo. Once you resume payments, you can make new edits and save them. 

 

What happens when my SONAR Membership ends?

 

Once you've paid for 12 months of Membership (either up-front or monthly), you own SONAR and all updates received during your Membership period. You can then choose one of the following: 

 

a) Let your Membership lapse, and receive no further membership benefits.

b) Continue paying monthly. Membership auto-renews at the Renewal rate.

c) Pay up-front for 12 more months of Membership at the Renewal rate. 

 

 

If I let my Membership expire after 12 months, can I renew it again later?

 

Yes, you can come back any time and pay the Renewal rate. If you choose to renew Monthly payments, you will need to complete an additional 12 consecutive months to permanently activate the latest update you have received.

 

SONAR Artist, Professional, and Platinum each have a different monthly cost. Does that mean they each get different product features and content with Membership?

 

Yes. During a 12-month Membership all versions receive multiple product and content updates, however SONAR Professional Members will have additional features and content, and SONAR Platinum Members will get the most new features and content. 

 

 

Will I still get patch fixes even if I'm not an active SONAR Member?

 

No. You will need an active SONAR Membership to receive fixes and updates, but remember that customers who purchase up-front, or purchase at retail, automatically receive 12 months of Membership. During that time you’ll be receiving regular fixes, updates, and new features. And that means SONAR customers will now get more updates than ever before. 

 

Can I buy the new SONAR without membership?

 

No, but if you prefer, you can purchase the new version with a one-time payment (just like before) and ignore all the great updates. Membership Benefits are included with all versions to ensure that every SONAR user has the latest and greatest version for at least 12 months after they purchase. Gone are the days where you might purchase a SONAR Upgrade to find a new paid Upgrade just a few months later. 

 

Will I still get tech support if I'm not an active SONAR Member?

 

Technical support is available for active memberships only. If you pay upfront, you'll receive phone and email technical support for a full year after your purchase while your SONAR Membership is active. If you pay monthly, phone and email technical support will be available as long as you have an active membership. If you cancel and renew your membership at any time, technical support will be available again when your membership is renewed. 

 

What do you think about it? For me this is ridiculous.  :s0959: :s0959: :s0959:  
Soft Enerji wrote:
Like I said at the start of the thread I don't have a problem with this model as far as a subscription goes. Having said that I'd probably still rather not be locked in but I'm not ruling it out.

You say it's ridiculous.....care to elaborate?
I'm paying monthly for Sonar Platinum. As a Sonar 3 upgrader I pay a trivial amount each month and I fully own it in a year. You are "locked in" for a year but so what? You can't legally sell Sonar so if you want the product you have a choice of paying up front or an itsy-bitsy amount each month. If, after a year, I feel I didn't get good value I can walk away from the deal with Addictive Drums 2 (with three kits, midi packs etc) plus anything else that was thrown in during the year. Obviously paying monthly isn't for everyone so you can pay upfront and get a years worth of goodies. How anyone can say it is ridiculous is beyond my comprehension so when the guy elaborates I'll be all ears. Maybe. Grum.

User avatar
PSoames
Posts: 278
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Somerset, UK

Post 12 Apr 2015

InDeLiBLe wrote:This is a post from gearslutz forum about Cakewalk Sonar subscription plan:

What is SONAR Membership?

Our innovative new Membership program means you'll receive all the latest features as soon as they're ready! There's no more waiting a year or more for the next paid SONAR upgrade; you'll be notified the instant new updates and customized content downloads are available in Cakewalk Command Center. Members are also entitled to free technical support and discounted Membership renewals. Best of all, after 12 months of SONAR membership you get to keep everything you've received - even if you choose not to renew.
 
Is this like a subscription? Adobe Creative Cloud and other software with "subscription" models won't let you keep anything.
 
No. The big difference with our model is that after your first 12 months of SONAR Membership you get to keep everything you have received. 
 
If I choose Monthly Membership payments, can I cancel before 12 Months?
 
Yes, but 12 consecutive monthly payments are required to permanently activate SONAR and any updates you have received. If you cancel payment or don’t pay for at least 12 months, SONAR will revert to demo mode. This means you can’t save or export projects, however anything you saved up to that point will still open and play in the demo. Once you resume payments, you can make new edits and save them. 
 
What happens when my SONAR Membership ends?
 
Once you've paid for 12 months of Membership (either up-front or monthly), you own SONAR and all updates received during your Membership period. You can then choose one of the following: 
 
a) Let your Membership lapse, and receive no further membership benefits.
b) Continue paying monthly. Membership auto-renews at the Renewal rate.
c) Pay up-front for 12 more months of Membership at the Renewal rate. 
 
 
If I let my Membership expire after 12 months, can I renew it again later?
 
Yes, you can come back any time and pay the Renewal rate. If you choose to renew Monthly payments, you will need to complete an additional 12 consecutive months to permanently activate the latest update you have received.
 
SONAR Artist, Professional, and Platinum each have a different monthly cost. Does that mean they each get different product features and content with Membership?
 
Yes. During a 12-month Membership all versions receive multiple product and content updates, however SONAR Professional Members will have additional features and content, and SONAR Platinum Members will get the most new features and content. 
 
 
Will I still get patch fixes even if I'm not an active SONAR Member?
 
No. You will need an active SONAR Membership to receive fixes and updates, but remember that customers who purchase up-front, or purchase at retail, automatically receive 12 months of Membership. During that time you’ll be receiving regular fixes, updates, and new features. And that means SONAR customers will now get more updates than ever before. 
 
Can I buy the new SONAR without membership?
 
No, but if you prefer, you can purchase the new version with a one-time payment (just like before) and ignore all the great updates. Membership Benefits are included with all versions to ensure that every SONAR user has the latest and greatest version for at least 12 months after they purchase. Gone are the days where you might purchase a SONAR Upgrade to find a new paid Upgrade just a few months later. 
 
Will I still get tech support if I'm not an active SONAR Member?
 
Technical support is available for active memberships only. If you pay upfront, you'll receive phone and email technical support for a full year after your purchase while your SONAR Membership is active. If you pay monthly, phone and email technical support will be available as long as you have an active membership. If you cancel and renew your membership at any time, technical support will be available again when your membership is renewed. 
 
What do you think about it? For me this is ridiculous. :s0959: :s0959: :s0959:  
Ummm! I quite like the sound of it.

Ostermilk
Posts: 1535
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 Apr 2015

Grumbleweed wrote: I'm paying monthly for Sonar Platinum. As a Sonar 3 upgrader I pay a trivial amount each month and I fully own it in a year. You are "locked in" for a year but so what? You can't legally sell Sonar so if you want the product you have a choice of paying up front or an itsy-bitsy amount each month. If, after a year, I feel I didn't get good value I can walk away from the deal with Addictive Drums 2 (with three kits, midi packs etc) plus anything else that was thrown in during the year. Obviously paying monthly isn't for everyone so you can pay upfront and get a years worth of goodies. How anyone can say it is ridiculous is beyond my comprehension so when the guy elaborates I'll be all ears. Maybe. Grum.
I think we may have had this conversation before but the thing that got lost in Sonar's transition to a 'subscription' model (albeit a loosely termed one) was the price hike that loyal users like yourself were prepared to swallow.

The average version cycle for Sonar was around 18 months and during that period you'd certainly be able to upgrade from the previous version for $99 (or £89 at Cakewalk's conversion rate).  Now you are able to buy a years worth of development for $199 or even more P.A. if you pay monthly instead, true?

So although many on this thread seem to be dismissing the idea of such a pricing model the truth is that many folk will just march right up to the check-out not caring if they end up paying twice the price for a 50% shorter upgrade period.

A company would be foolish not to adopt such a model when everyone would have complained if the upgrade price suddenly doubled yet you can disguise the price hike in such a way where customers will line up for an extra yard of the brown stuff being offered.

You can't blame the companies for what the consumers are prepared to swallow.  Maybe that's what the previous poster was calling ridiculous but I doubt you'll be all ears to the fact you are effectively paying double for what you got before, then again some people are more discerning about how they define value for money than others, that's just the way of things.  If you are a happy customer under the new model that's all that really matters. 

But some certainly wont warm to the reality of paying at least double for what they were getting before so I guess you'd have to understand why some would think that is ridiculous too.

People have different requirements so there is no stark either/or polarities when it comes to pricing.



User avatar
Soft Enerji
Posts: 407
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: East Lismore, NSW Australia

Post 12 Apr 2015

Grumbleweed wrote:I'm paying monthly for Sonar Platinum. As a Sonar 3 upgrader I pay a trivial amount each month and I fully own it in a year. You are "locked in" for a year but so what? You can't legally sell Sonar so if you want the product you have a choice of paying up front or an itsy-bitsy amount each month. If, after a year, I feel I didn't get good value I can walk away from the deal with Addictive Drums 2 (with three kits, midi packs etc) plus anything else that was thrown in during the year. Obviously paying monthly isn't for everyone so you can pay upfront and get a years worth of goodies. How anyone can say it is ridiculous is beyond my comprehension so when the guy elaborates I'll be all ears. Maybe. Grum.
I was wondering when you might chime in  :)

User avatar
Soft Enerji
Posts: 407
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: East Lismore, NSW Australia

Post 12 Apr 2015

Ostermilk wrote: I think we may have had this conversation before but the thing that got lost in Sonar's transition to a 'subscription' model (albeit a loosely termed one) was the price hike that loyal users like yourself were prepared to swallow.

The average version cycle for Sonar was around 18 months and during that period you'd certainly be able to upgrade from the previous version for $99 (or £89 at Cakewalk's conversion rate).  Now you are able to buy a years worth of development for $199 or even more P.A. if you pay monthly instead, true?

So although many on this thread seem to be dismissing the idea of such a pricing model the truth is that many folk will just march right up to the check-out not caring if they end up paying twice the price for a 50% shorter upgrade period.

A company would be foolish not to adopt such a model when everyone would have complained if the upgrade price suddenly doubled yet you can disguise the price hike in such a way where customers will line up for an extra yard of the brown stuff being offered.

You can't blame the companies for what the consumers are prepared to swallow.  Maybe that's what the previous poster was calling ridiculous but I doubt you'll be all ears to the fact you are effectively paying double for what you got before, then again some people are more discerning about how they define value for money than others, that's just the way of things.  If you are a happy customer under the new model that's all that really matters. 

But some certainly wont warm to the reality of paying at least double for what they were getting before so I guess you'd have to understand why some would think that is ridiculous too.

People have different requirements so there is no stark either/or polarities when it comes to pricing.

Yeah you're right, the price is more expensive than previous upgrades but as you say people look at value for money in different ways. I've no idea what the uptake figures are but going by the Baker's forum there were more yays than nays.

One of the main reasons I didn't jump in straight away was the Addictive Drums 2 that came bundled. It's not an upgrade from AD1 which I already have. So I would've ended up with both versions and would not have been able to use all my AD1 content with AD2. I'm waiting for XLN to come out with an upgrade offer first  :)

User avatar
InDeLiBLe
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 12 Apr 2015

Grumbleweed wrote: I'm paying monthly for Sonar Platinum. As a Sonar 3 upgrader I pay a trivial amount each month and I fully own it in a year. You are "locked in" for a year but so what? You can't legally sell Sonar so if you want the product you have a choice of paying up front or an itsy-bitsy amount each month. If, after a year, I feel I didn't get good value I can walk away from the deal with Addictive Drums 2 (with three kits, midi packs etc) plus anything else that was thrown in during the year. Obviously paying monthly isn't for everyone so you can pay upfront and get a years worth of goodies. How anyone can say it is ridiculous is beyond my comprehension so when the guy elaborates I'll be all ears. Maybe. Grum.
Ostermilk wrote:
I think we may have had this conversation before but the thing that got lost in Sonar's transition to a 'subscription' model (albeit a loosely termed one) was the price hike that loyal users like yourself were prepared to swallow.

The average version cycle for Sonar was around 18 months and during that period you'd certainly be able to upgrade from the previous version for $99 (or £89 at Cakewalk's conversion rate).  Now you are able to buy a years worth of development for $199 or even more P.A. if you pay monthly instead, true?

So although many on this thread seem to be dismissing the idea of such a pricing model the truth is that many folk will just march right up to the check-out not caring if they end up paying twice the price for a 50% shorter upgrade period.

A company would be foolish not to adopt such a model when everyone would have complained if the upgrade price suddenly doubled yet you can disguise the price hike in such a way where customers will line up for an extra yard of the brown stuff being offered.

You can't blame the companies for what the consumers are prepared to swallow.  Maybe that's what the previous poster was calling ridiculous but I doubt you'll be all ears to the fact you are effectively paying double for what you got before, then again some people are more discerning about how they define value for money than others, that's just the way of things.  If you are a happy customer under the new model that's all that really matters. 

But some certainly wont warm to the reality of paying at least double for what they were getting before so I guess you'd have to understand why some would think that is ridiculous too.

People have different requirements so there is no stark either/or polarities when it comes to pricing.

Is exactly what I meant. Anything that is paid fractionally eventually costs more. Are you sure that the release cycles will respect the roadmap? Do you really need the "extras" that they offer for you subscription? You have to be careful. People are spending less in upgrades and new software than before and this is another business strategy to bring them back. You want to save money and in the end you gonna spend more. Maybe professional studios could do it but for simple users I don't like it.    

MDTerps2015
Posts: 416
Joined: 25 Jan 2015

Post 12 Apr 2015

RFX wrote:I'd absolutely not subscribe if they did. I hate subscription plans, and to be honest, it seems illogical, since you'd still need to buy REs, but unlike VSTs, you can't use them anywhere else, so if you were to switch to another DAW (which could happen), you'd lose a lot of stuff. Well, you'd still kinda do, but it wouldn't matter, since you can always start the bought copy of Reason whenever you want. 

Also, personally, I think it's better to save up for a software and then just buy it. I mean of course, you'd get all the updates, but if you buy (for example) Version 7 and don't want Version 8, you don't need to upgrade. That also means you don't have to pay any extra money.

It might be useful for maybe a collab (or just to try making a few songs), but other than that, I don't see much of a purpose behind that.
Im in the same boat with you. I cant stand subscriptions and i wouldnt subscribe. You wonder if it did come about, how many wouldnt subscribe which would scare off rack extension developers. Im not going to worry about it because if what i have now I own, then i would just move on. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

MDTerps2015
Posts: 416
Joined: 25 Jan 2015

Post 12 Apr 2015

InDeLiBLe wrote:This is a post from gearslutz forum about Cakewalk Sonar subscription plan:


What is SONAR Membership?


Our innovative new Membership program means you'll receive all the latest features as soon as they're ready! There's no more waiting a year or more for the next paid SONAR upgrade; you'll be notified the instant new updates and customized content downloads are available in Cakewalk Command Center. Members are also entitled to free technical support and discounted Membership renewals. Best of all, after 12 months of SONAR membership you get to keep everything you've received - even if you choose not to renew.

 
Is this like a subscription? Adobe Creative Cloud and other software with "subscription" models won't let you keep anything.
 
No. The big difference with our model is that after your first 12 months of SONAR Membership you get to keep everything you have received. 
 
If I choose Monthly Membership payments, can I cancel before 12 Months?
 
Yes, but 12 consecutive monthly payments are required to permanently activate SONAR and any updates you have received. If you cancel payment or don’t pay for at least 12 months, SONAR will revert to demo mode. This means you can’t save or export projects, however anything you saved up to that point will still open and play in the demo. Once you resume payments, you can make new edits and save them. 
 
What happens when my SONAR Membership ends?
 
Once you've paid for 12 months of Membership (either up-front or monthly), you own SONAR and all updates received during your Membership period. You can then choose one of the following: 
 
a) Let your Membership lapse, and receive no further membership benefits.
b) Continue paying monthly. Membership auto-renews at the Renewal rate.
c) Pay up-front for 12 more months of Membership at the Renewal rate. 
 
 
If I let my Membership expire after 12 months, can I renew it again later?
 
Yes, you can come back any time and pay the Renewal rate. If you choose to renew Monthly payments, you will need to complete an additional 12 consecutive months to permanently activate the latest update you have received.
 
SONAR Artist, Professional, and Platinum each have a different monthly cost. Does that mean they each get different product features and content with Membership?
 
Yes. During a 12-month Membership all versions receive multiple product and content updates, however SONAR Professional Members will have additional features and content, and SONAR Platinum Members will get the most new features and content. 
 
 
Will I still get patch fixes even if I'm not an active SONAR Member?
 
No. You will need an active SONAR Membership to receive fixes and updates, but remember that customers who purchase up-front, or purchase at retail, automatically receive 12 months of Membership. During that time you’ll be receiving regular fixes, updates, and new features. And that means SONAR customers will now get more updates than ever before. 
 
Can I buy the new SONAR without membership?
 
No, but if you prefer, you can purchase the new version with a one-time payment (just like before) and ignore all the great updates. Membership Benefits are included with all versions to ensure that every SONAR user has the latest and greatest version for at least 12 months after they purchase. Gone are the days where you might purchase a SONAR Upgrade to find a new paid Upgrade just a few months later. 
 
Will I still get tech support if I'm not an active SONAR Member?
 
Technical support is available for active memberships only. If you pay upfront, you'll receive phone and email technical support for a full year after your purchase while your SONAR Membership is active. If you pay monthly, phone and email technical support will be available as long as you have an active membership. If you cancel and renew your membership at any time, technical support will be available again when your membership is renewed. 
 
What do you think about it? For me this is ridiculous.  :s0959: :s0959: :s0959:  
Soft Enerji wrote:
Like I said at the start of the thread I don't have a problem with this model as far as a subscription goes. Having said that I'd probably still rather not be locked in but I'm not ruling it out.

You say it's ridiculous.....care to elaborate?
Screw that and updates. What if i dont want the update????? What if the update is geared toward technical stuff rather than stuff stuff (RE's or Instrument's). I havent updated to Reason 8.2 yet because i dont need it. I will wait til 9 to update if its worth it. Subscriptions are like you either do this or else. 

150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

User avatar
Soft Enerji
Posts: 407
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: East Lismore, NSW Australia

Post 12 Apr 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:Subscriptions are like you either do this or else. 
In a lot of cases yes but not Cakewalk's. After a year you can opt out and keep what you have. You can then jump back in at a later date if you want.

Anyhoos, for a hypothetical thread this sure has got opinions flying, with a resounding victory for the naysayers  :) . Hope yer lookin' in Props!!

KEVMOVE02
Posts: 267
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 16 Apr 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:Subscriptions are like you either do this or else. 
Soft Enerji wrote:
In a lot of cases yes but not Cakewalk's. After a year you can opt out and keep what you have. You can then jump back in at a later date if you want.

Anyhoos, for a hypothetical thread this sure has got opinions flying, with a resounding victory for the naysayers  :) . Hope yer lookin' in Props!!
What makes you think that Propellerhead would see this thread as a decisive argument against subscriptions? I appreciate that many contributors to the now defunct PUF have migrated here, but we hardly represent the core audience of Propellerhead software users. At best, they could use this forum to maybe understand what those who are against everything they've done in the past year really think ( Reason 8: rubbish; Discover: rubbish!; IOS Apps: major rubbish; Rack Extensions and nontransferable licenses: burn them at the stake and make no mention of them ever again).

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2840
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

Post 16 Apr 2015

Eastwest went on the band wagon. 

To the best of my knowledge, nobody that has jumped on the bandwagon has gotten a significant upgrade in the months they've been on sub. 



User avatar
eusti
Moderator
Posts: 2793
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Apr 2015

gak wrote:Eastwest went on the band wagon. 

To the best of my knowledge, nobody that has jumped on the bandwagon has gotten a significant upgrade in the months they've been on sub. 

Yep, that's what I heard...

D.

User avatar
phasys
Posts: 199
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Apr 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:.............would you sign up for it?
Not in a million years.

User avatar
jfrichards
Posts: 1306
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Post 17 Apr 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:...Would Reason still be as appealing if released as a subscription?
Hey Mark, I think those of us who bought R8 are on a sort of prepaid subscription plan already.  8.0, 8.1, 8.2, ...  Subscription plans rely on a certain amount of faith and investment in the company.  I know I bought R8 not for the marketing hype idiocy that came with it, but having used and grown with Reason for 9 years, and wanting to grow with it.  I have been happy that they have kept the development going despite all the Chicken Little responses.  But it is an odd way of doing business.  Usually, you buy what is in front of you.  The software world is changing to a "pay for what you'll get later" model, maybe to change their day-to-day operation model to be more planned and less crazy coding and testing crunch times as the release date nears, and then everyone going on vacation or getting laid off after the release date.  Updates every two months makes more sense than full releases every eighteen if you want to keep all 35 people working every day.  They already took a big step in that direction by releasing their own new devices as Rack Extensions.  Plus regular updating simplifies the beta testing by focussing on say four features instead of twenty-four.  Plus it allows for rapid response to bugs, developments with related technology/platforms, half-baked features, and rapid change.  They could set up various payment plans, like $40 for a release plus $10 per point upgrade = $130 per full release, or subscription, or the current pre-pay plan.  They could combine Reason and Essentials into a core program with mobile integration at $200 and make all devices into Rack Extensions to follow the plug-in model.  They could sell to InMusic and retire...

User avatar
zakalwe
Posts: 447
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 17 Apr 2015

nope, i wouldn't go for a sub model.  i own no propellerhead RE apart from ones they've bundled with paid upgrades (which i barely use) and i don't have any interest in their online service so I don't see what i would get out of it.

personally, i'd prefer if they just kept the frequent upgrades, lower the price for current users and stop bundling things i don't want.

User avatar
scifunk
Posts: 76
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 18 Apr 2015

I'd happily pay up to £10 a month as a subscription if it included all Prop's own REs and ReFills too - cant ever see it including 3rd Party devs. Always easier to find £10 a month than £129 for a full upgrade.

User avatar
Ixus
Posts: 283
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 18 Apr 2015

I would not continue to use Reason if they started a subscription. I'd switch to logic or something else. I love using Reason so I hope they wont do that. It's a tool, you should never pay subscription fees for a tool. Maybe for entertainment but tools? Nevah!

User avatar
Gaja
Posts: 1001
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Germany

Post 18 Apr 2015

Ixus wrote:I would not continue to use Reason if they started a subscription. I'd switch to logic or something else. I love using Reason so I hope they wont do that. It's a tool, you should never pay subscription fees for a tool. Maybe for entertainment but tools? Nevah!
Actually here in germany tools often get rented. Why buy that super awesome circular saw that you need to cut ten logs of wood with for 5000, when you can rent it for twenty?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

User avatar
JNeffLind
Posts: 976
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: So. Illinois, USA

Post 18 Apr 2015

Ixus wrote:I would not continue to use Reason if they started a subscription. I'd switch to logic or something else. I love using Reason so I hope they wont do that. It's a tool, you should never pay subscription fees for a tool. Maybe for entertainment but tools? Nevah!
Gaja wrote:Actually here in germany tools often get rented. Why buy that super awesome circular saw that you need to cut ten logs of wood with for 5000, when you can rent it for twenty?
Same in the U.S. Except here, every man worth a damn owns a circular saw (I kid, I kid.).

I have though rented a jackhammer, an industrial sander, and a bobcat (a mini bull-dozer) on separate occasions.

To be clear though, I still would not like the subscription plan. Renting tools as an option okay, but if I want to buy it, I should be able to!

User avatar
Soft Enerji
Posts: 407
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: East Lismore, NSW Australia

Post 18 Apr 2015

jfrichards wrote:Hey Mark, I think those of us who bought R8 are on a sort of prepaid subscription plan already.  8.0, 8.1, 8.2, ... 
Hi John

You make a good point there............

User avatar
Gaja
Posts: 1001
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Germany

Post 19 Apr 2015

JNeffLind wrote:Same in the U.S. Except here, every man worth a damn owns a circular saw (I kid, I kid.).

I have though rented a jackhammer, an industrial sander, and a bobcat (a mini bull-dozer) on separate occasions.

To be clear though, I still would not like the subscription plan. Renting tools as an option okay, but if I want to buy it, I should be able to!
Yeah that's what I'd appreciate. Have an option for subscription, but continue the trusted method of upgrading every year.
Or maybe they'll surprise us with a FL type deal. Not that I think it's very likely, but since the RE ecosystem is thriving (I don't think they updated the Authorizer to allow downloads over 2 GB for nothing, I guess some NI stuff or similar might be on the way) they might begin to make enough off of the 30% cut to consider the idea. But I have of course no i fo on sales data, or inside knowledge, so obviously this is mere blatant speculation.
Or maybe they just don't change anything at all.
:)
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Hydrosonic
Posts: 81
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 19 Apr 2015

You pretty much already have paid a subscription if you have any RE's just an upfront pay once rental subscription.  Can't sell em so you don't own them.  A one off lifetime subscription plan.

User avatar
rvman
Posts: 125
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 19 Apr 2015

I like the sonar method and seriously consider it for the plugs and extras, which Reaper and Saw Studio would "see" and make available. Plus with this way one can demo software for more than 30 days. And I can handle a monthly payment for a year better than saving up to pay one large chunk.

The biggest issue with Reason would be with how to handle RE's. They can't make the whole shop available and I seriously doubt you would keep it after a year. I don't like how RE's are handled currently anyway so I stick with the stock offerings.

I'm keeping my eyes on this new movement, but some of it is very appealing to me.
********************************
Reason 8, EZ Drummer 2, Loop Loft loops

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Trendiction [Bot] and 5 guests