If Props introduced a subscription plan for Reason................

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Soft Enerji
Posts: 407
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: East Lismore, NSW Australia

Post 10 Apr 2015

.............would you sign up for it?

Recently Cakewalk introduced such a plan and while I've not jumped on board yet I probably will in a year or so as I normally skip every second Sonar version. Their plan allows you to keep everything released during the period you are subscribed for even if you cancel at the of it which is quite fair in my opinion.

Would Reason still be as appealing if released as a subscription?

User avatar
eusti
Moderator
Posts: 2793
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

Nope. Definitely not. I abhor subscription plans in regards to software.

D.

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 4623
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill, Boomertown

Post 10 Apr 2015

No, I wouldn't pay a subscription fee.  I hope they don't ever go that route, but if they do, I'll just be happy with the last version (prior to subscriptions) and all the REs available at that time.  And I suppose I would just have to tune out all future Propellerhead updates/announcements to limit temptation.

I must say, R8 (in combination with my REs) pretty much satisfies all my needs.  Of course, I am always looking forward to what future updates might bring, but if they implemented a subscription plan, I could easy call it a day and just keep Reason 8 + my REs.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
Gaja
Posts: 1001
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Germany

Post 10 Apr 2015

Well if it were optional (ie being able to choose whether or not you'd like to subscribe) I'd certainly consider it. I'm running a business with several studios, so a couple of bucks per month would be a worthy investment, if that meant "free" and frequent upgrades and improvements.
If it were forced upon us, (ie either subscribe or leave us alone) I'd certainly hesitate and only subscribe after being angry for a while.
An optional subscription plan would be thte way to go imo.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

User avatar
Gorilla Texas
Posts: 157
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

I think it's the only move that can save the company. The only way it would be worth it would be if they let you have access to all REs though.

User avatar
Kategra
Posts: 327
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

It's worse at it is already, unable to install RE offline.

If you have a subscription plan your DAW down as their servers go down. When PH die, your Reason Projects die with them. Can't have that for my music.

User avatar
Kategra
Posts: 327
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

Mr44Hz wrote:I think it's the only move that can save the company. The only way it would be worth it would be if they let you have access to all REs though.
So what will entice developers to refine or develop new REs?

It could work under a sistem like Radio airplay maybe. Like PH keep track of the number of minutes and instances an RE is used during a month and pays each developer an directly proportionate % on the subscription fee.



User avatar
Gorilla Texas
Posts: 157
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

Mr44Hz wrote:I think it's the only move that can save the company. The only way it would be worth it would be if they let you have access to all REs though.
Kategra wrote:
So what will entice developers to refine or develop new REs?

It could work under a sistem like Radio airplay maybe. Like PH keep track of the number of minutes and instances an RE is used during a month and pays each developer an directly proportionate % on the subscription fee.

Force subscription on all Re to use them that way all users would have to pay from v6 to use them which would bring in more revenue than the current model and spread the money out to devs. Devs might get less money upfront but get consistent money all year long. 

User avatar
PSoames
Posts: 278
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Somerset, UK

Post 10 Apr 2015

If the cost was worth its value to me, yes.

User avatar
submonsterz
Posts: 989
Joined: 07 Feb 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

Absolutely NOT................

User avatar
submonsterz
Posts: 989
Joined: 07 Feb 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

Mr44Hz wrote:I think it's the only move that can save the company. The only way it would be worth it would be if they let you have access to all REs though.
Kategra wrote:
So what will entice developers to refine or develop new REs?

It could work under a sistem like Radio airplay maybe. Like PH keep track of the number of minutes and instances an RE is used during a month and pays each developer an directly proportionate % on the subscription fee.

Mr44Hz wrote:
Force subscription on all Re to use them that way all users would have to pay
Mr44Hz wrote:from v6
Mr44Hz wrote:
[/color]
Mr44Hz wrote:to use them which would bring in more revenue than the current model and spread the money out to devs. Devs might get less money upfront but get consistent money all year long. 
From v6 lol you forget most Re`s now do not work from lower than version 7 lol.
That would be making people pay for what they cannot use lol.
I see that going down very well NOT!.

User avatar
craven
Posts: 659
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

never - I don't like subscription models 
:ugeek:

User avatar
ScuzzyEye
Moderator
Posts: 1402
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

PSoames wrote:If the cost was worth its value to me, yes.
Every subscription I've seen has cost more than buying the software outright.

The raw photo processing software I use generally releases a $99.99 upgrade each year. They just started offering a subscription where you can always be running the latest version for $9.99 a month. So that's $19.89 more a year.

I'm absolutely alright with them offering it. It's just not something I'd go for.

User avatar
Soft Enerji
Posts: 407
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: East Lismore, NSW Australia

Post 10 Apr 2015

Well with the responses so far being well and truly in the no camp, I hope the Props are looking in and taking notes :) .

I'm pretty happy with Sonar X3 Producer and wasn't tempted to jump on the subscription, but as I said, I reckon Cakewalk's model is quite fair given you keep what you pay for so who knows I might take it up yet.

Hopefully Props won't do it, but I have a sneaky fear that the latest update is setting the scene for such a move..............

MDTerps2015
Posts: 416
Joined: 25 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

I would never subscribe. I would be really upset if they did. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

avasopht
Competition Winner
Posts: 3918
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-greedy-is- ... -not-very/

Buying behaviour is interesting, when you look into it our decisions are nothing like we think them to be :)

For fun, go look at how much more money people spend on products with minor changes to how the offer is presented ;)

User avatar
FATCheese
Posts: 196
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

NO.


Hardware FTW!
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

User avatar
Vesterager
Posts: 31
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

That would probably put an end to my continued support of Propellerhead Software. At the same time, I would not turn to another DAW, but simply use the version of Reason that I have at that time. 

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 11659
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 10 Apr 2015

Since this is a speculation thread…
For those that are against subscription models, are you saying you would NOT go for a $1 a month subscription? Because if you say yes, then (as they say) now we're just haggling over the price. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

lowpryo
Posts: 452
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

selig wrote:Since this is a speculation thread…
For those that are against subscription models, are you saying you would NOT go for a $1 a month subscription? Because if you say yes, then (as they say) now we're just haggling over the price. ;)
 
oh yeah, and what if they mail out candy and gold bars to all subscribers? if you say yes, then it's just a matter of what content is included in their subscription service!

(or how about we don't bring up hypotheticals just for the sake of being difficult   ;) )

User avatar
Nymphomation
Posts: 53
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

Kategra wrote: If you have a subscription plan your DAW down as their servers go down. When PH die, your Reason Projects die with them. Can't have that for my music.
Subscription models don;t tend to work that way. I use several bits of software on subscription, video, post, animation etc. You only need their servers to update & authorise your software. The software still sits on your computer and runs from your computer. Your files are still on your computer.

e.g. If Adobe went bankrupt (yeah right) I'd still be able to use the latest version of Photoshop and edit my PSD format images. If they were proper bastards and put some kind of 'kill switch' that deactivated photoshop on the companies demise, then I'd be looking around for 3rd party image editing software that can handle PSDs.


lowpryo
Posts: 452
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

Kategra wrote: If you have a subscription plan your DAW down as their servers go down. When PH die, your Reason Projects die with them. Can't have that for my music.
Nymphomation wrote:
Subscription models don;t tend to work that way. I use several bits of software on subscription, video, post, animation etc. You only need their servers to update & authorise your software. The software still sits on your computer and runs from your computer. Your files are still on your computer.

e.g. If Adobe went bankrupt (yeah right) I'd still be able to use the latest version of Photoshop and edit my PSD format images. If they were proper bastards and put some kind of 'kill switch' that deactivated photoshop on the companies demise, then I'd be looking around for 3rd party image editing software that can handle PSDs.
 
that doesn't make sense to me. even without any updates, won't you have to at least connect once a month to verify that you're still paying for your subscription? otherwise you could just pay for one month and keep that version of software forever. I figured if a company dies, the next month that your software tries to verify a continued subscription, it'd fail and lock you out. unless they continue to maintain their license servers, or they implement a kind of reverse kill switch.

The Tone Ranger
Posts: 139
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

I can't see it happening, doesn't fit well with the RE license agreement. Buy RE for life but you can't use them unless you pay your subscription fees.

Yonatan
Posts: 1556
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 10 Apr 2015

I´m not totally against subscription or to hire something. It could be just different ways to approach a software service. So you could look at it as an option of spreading out the cost or paying for a major upgrade once in a while. But such subscription must be a win-win thing or there will be no good, you have to at least have a clue of what that regular payment means and delivers as a minimum. Now we pay €129 and lately we have no clue what that will bring us until the next major one. 

I could also see a practical use for being able to get access to Rack Extensions for limited time laps. If a friend have got one RE and I don´t, I could pay for getting a limited license while we are working on a project.
And maybe also an option to get access to the latest Reason version plus certain amount of Rack Extensions in different amount. That could bring more ppl into trying and doing a project with reason and trying REs for a limited time.
Some will be glad to try another DAW and its potential and others might invest in a permanent Reason license if they want it as a main Daw.

In short words, you could own your license permanently or subscribe, and also you could own your RE license permanently or rent/subscribe them in some various ways. 

I ´m certain that several of us who would already love to be able to pay some fee for a 30/15/5/1 days (or whatever) of extra "trying" time with a RE.
Say you are a hobby user and have finally recorded your Demo-song and want that little extra that you feel for instance that Softube Tubetech would give you for this song,
then you rent it for the time and song you need it for. But if you just adore that device and cannot live without it and understand that in the long run you dont want to rent that RE everytime to run it in your project, then ofcourse you will happily buy the permanent license for that device. I see that could be a win-win situation both for PH, for Developers and for different kind of users. Some are Pros other are very limited in their time spent, and some use other DAW as a main etc.

I can honestly say that there is a bunch of REs that are in between for me, they could be nice for certain songs at certain occations, but not so much as for me to pay for a permanent license, but if I could rent it for short periods, then I might do that. It would benefit all, especially now when developers are feeling the pressure as the list of RE is getting longer each week and there are many different choices of for instance a bass amp simulator. A bass player might not want to buy them all, and not only have one choice. They might just feel to play around with Cerebus in one occation, and Sitbull in another song, while still having Softube as a main standard RE. Same with different kompressors, it feels crazy to own more of them, but still in some cases you just would like to use that crazy one that you dont use often and therefore havent bought. This way could also motivate devs to update and bring new improvements to their REs. And even very stränge and specialized REs which are not everyday choices, could see the light instead of "no, that wont really be sustainable to develop, it´s too stränge, but it would be a very cool spice now and then". Those RE would still be stimulated to come out. It would open up for more flow and also ease the tension a bit for all involved, with other cheap ways to use and try and compare different REs, not only a sale-battle. Just my guess.

User avatar
zeebot
Posts: 628
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: The Factory

Post 10 Apr 2015

I feel sub services are a good idea when dealing with media but not software. I would not subscribe to a reason service as sometimes I go through periods where I dont open reason for days or even weeks if I'm away somewhere or have something else going on in my life.
Frequent daily users may find it a better option especially if they tacked on certain incentives like exclusive pre release RE use or something?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Google [Bot] and 4 guests