Input MIDI Channel

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Shifty480

09 Apr 2015

Hey guys,
Im trying to control my devices via MIDI channel.

Id like to have all my devices being affected by MIDI channel 1.  I have some pads on my controller that are transmitting on channel 10.  My problem is, overtime I hit a pad, its still affecting the other instruments.

Ive confirmed my controller is set up correctly in Ableton Live.

Is there any way to do this?  I can't believe assigning MIDI channels is this hard....

Raveshaper

10 Apr 2015

Shifty,

I feel your pain, MIDI control is the least well documented or implemented aspect of Reason IMO.

- Easiest method might be to disable the Master Keyboard in Edit > Preferences > Control Surfaces.

- Next option would be to create "dummy" MIDI codec/Remote Map pairs that you would then add to the list of control surfaces and lock to devices that you specifically want to control.
This means editing the blank files in the folder marked "" and using them to create the desired behavior by hard-coding it by hand, file after file, then loading them into the control surface list and locking each codec to each destination as desired, one by one, until it's all mapped. This method and its painfully slow, hopelessly outmoded workflow is the only publicly documented MIDI implementation for the program aside from using internal Remote Overrides within the GUI.

- Lastly, you could look into the alternative to the above mentioned antique MIDI codec formats, but you will get absolutely no help with this powerful and dynamic method of handling MIDI instructions.
This last method is the most robust and comprehensive means of handcrafting custom templates that actually make Reason less frustrating, more intuitive, and comparably powerful to other offerings on the market. You can use the more powerful methods to essentially make it possible to not even have to look at your monitor while putting down your riffs, etc. Think "Push" style performance capabilities but using Reason instead. Yes, it is very much possible and IMO there is no justifiable position why people are not permitted to freely experiment with setups that do exactly that. Obviously there are limitations, it won't cook you dinner, but if it was made open and public it could prove to be the biggest selling point of the program in terms of purchasing the stock install. It could make Reason look competitive with Live (excluding clip launching) if done right.

My recommendation would be one of the first two methods above because those are the only two that you will get publicly available info about. Therefor, you can get somewhere with it.

For some insane purpose, the only way to access any documents or knowledge about the advanced MIDI implementation that makes all that possible is to apply as a Remote developer. And whatever you learn, no matter how exciting or beneficial it might be to you or to anyone else who is looking to maximize their creative potential within the confines of their investment in Reason as their platform; no matter what, you can not talk about it, share it, create a tutorial, anything, period. Using a MIDI controller with Reason is like working for the CIA. I'm exaggerating, but it's unjustifiable to be so counter-productively secretive about how people use their independently purchased 3rd party hardware with the program. It's not like using an MPD32 is going to manufacture some sort of cracked copy that everyone can use for free. And yet, that's almost the attitude. I can understand the argument of protecting the IP of proprietary source code in the software itself, but it's a bunch of drum pads interacting with an open script language that anyone can read about. I mean, wow. Talk about runaway ego.

Edit: Using advanced MIDI that is supported by Reason can actually save you scads of CPU and let you do more with fewer devices. It's potentially more powerful than CV networks in the rack. Why would you NOT want anyone to be able to understand how to do that? As it is, plenty of people aren't even aware of its existence. The irony is, if they leave to another host because it's easier to use their controller(s) with it, they do so because the information they need is not made available.

I feel rather strongly about this because Live is exactly the opposite when it comes to pushing the program further through independent experimentation. People flock to where they feel included, which is why it's so much more popular. Figuring out something clever is encouraged and figuring out how to do so is vastly more open.
But I'm punching a dead horse, this is all my opinion, and I should really go wash my hands.

I repeat, I feel your pain and agree it should be easy.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

electrofux

10 Apr 2015

The dirty fix would be to route your Midi through a Midi filter like (Midi OX) and filter out channel 10.
The elegant way is a Remote Codec that only listens to Channel 1. I think i have one flying around somewhere from the times when i used the machinedrum. Have to check later.

• Information