[SOLVED] R8.2: The first upgrade problem I've had in a long while

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Territan

08 Apr 2015

I haven't had a problem updating Reason since, well, ever. I even somehow snuck through the server palaver that impacted the release of Reason 6 and got mine paid for and download while everyone else was struggling with the store. Only minor hiccups, no show-stoppers.

This time, I have hit a wall.

I downloaded first the update, then the full Reason 8.2 with the sound banks, and I've got the same problem: I get a dialog that says essentially "File not Found," and it takes Reason down mid-first-run like the proverbial poleaxed steer.

8.2 is literally a non-starter. 8.1 still runs for me, and that's nice because it means I have a fallback.

Anyone having a similar problem? Better yet, has anyone heard of any solutions? I've also kicked this over to Props support, but I'm guessing they're chewing through the backlog following their Easter break.

-This space intentionally left apathetic-

craven

08 Apr 2015

I read somewhere that 8.2 runs only in 64 bit. Do you have a 64 bit system?
I should not say file not found, though. 

You are able to install it, right? But it does not start?

I hope Props support can help you out, because it sounds very strange. Good luck!

:ugeek:

Territan

08 Apr 2015

craven wrote:I read somewhere that 8.2 runs only in 64 bit. Do you have a 64 bit system?
I should not say file not found, though. 

You are able to install it, right? But it does not start?
Mm-hmm, I know that 8.2 is 64-bit only, and I have a few other "64-bit only" apps in here. Plus, sometimes when I do recompiles of back-end stuff, I have to include the tag "-arch=x86_64", which means about what it looks like: 64-bit architecture.

Still, in some places it may be a bit of a mish-mash, and maybe I'm running a problem in one of those odd corners.

I wouldn't say I'm able to "install" it; I can drag the folder to the appropriate place (on a Mac, by the way), and the first run is supposed to install it. That's where it's failing.

Bonus weirdness: You know how the Reason app will create its own "Demo Files" folder? I only get one file in that folder when I run it the first time. I keep wondering if that has something to do with it.

Territan

08 Apr 2015

Well dang, now I feel simultaneously clever and stupid.

Here was the problem: I'd run Reason 8.2 "for the first time," and it would say a file wasn't found and then collapse. And it didn't tell me what file; I had to guess.

And nobody else was having this problem, so I'd figured it was something that I'd done with it myself.

I really wanted to switch over to 8.2 too, because it changed the way it did things in ways I approved of. For instance, moving the sound libraries down to /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks. I also never liked that the template files were down in that Application Support folder, when they ought to be in ~/Music/Reason/Template Files, where I had a hook...

And that's when the penny dropped.

I had an alias that linked to the template folder in Application Support, in precisely the same location that Reason wanted to put the original template folder. If those interfered with each other...

...and so I deleted the alias, ran Reason, and the blasted thing came right up. And then came the mixed emotion: Clever that I had the brilliant idea to put an alias to the template folder right where the Props wanted to move the template folder, stupid that having the alias there interfered with 8.2's move operations. Anyhoos, I'm back in business.

eusti

08 Apr 2015

Great! Glad you resolved it!

So, how did you manage to change the thread title? I'm somehow stumped with that...

D.

Territan

08 Apr 2015

eusti wrote:Great! Glad you resolved it!

So, how did you manage to change the thread title? I'm somehow stumped with that...

D.
I didn't know either, at first. Then I realized: You enter the title as part of the first message of the thread.

If you created the thread, you can edit the message with which you started the thread, and then opt to use the advanced editor. This has a space with the title of the thread in it. You can change it there, then save your new message (which is the same message with a fresh coat of paint).

eusti

08 Apr 2015

Thank you!!! Will check that out right away! :)

Left me so stumped! :P

D.

craven

09 Apr 2015

I'm glad you found the issue! And there was something to learn from it as well :)
:ugeek:

• Information