"Meet the programmers" article about Reason, discussing future of Discover from Music Radar

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JNeffLind

08 Apr 2015

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/mee ... are-618842

Just thought I'd share this with any interested parties. Not trying to open the whole Discover debate again, but this might provide some insight to those interested in the Props mission statement moving forward, their philosophy, etc.

It's a quick read and not packed with info, but they mention incorporating Rebirth for iPad into Discover which would make it more appealing for me. Though I'm generally not a fan of the whole Discover thing, I'm being patient and open minded and am glad to see it's continuing to evolve. Maybe we'll all end up on board. Who knows?

joeyluck

08 Apr 2015

That last comment in the interview should set the iOS app/Reason mission-doomsdayers at ease.

But it won't lol.  Because they'll always find something to speculate and complain about  :?

Some Desperate Glory

08 Apr 2015

Interesting read, thanks.  It was also interesting they said they were in Product Marketing.  Are they really programmers?  When I used to work at a company the people in Marketing knew f* all about technology and only knew how to lie to prospective customers so we technical peons would have to work night and day to deliver on the promises they made without asking us.  Of course they got big bonuses for "making a key sale".

Did that come across as bitter?   ;)  

Back on topic, it does seem like they are going a direction I like.  I'm not into mobile music-making but I know other people are.  As long as they don't neglect Reason development too much, I'm happy.

Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

eusti

08 Apr 2015

Some Desperate Glory wrote:It was also interesting they said they were in Product Marketing.  Are they really programmers?
I was thinking the same thing when I read that!

D.

jappe

08 Apr 2015

Some Desperate Glory wrote:Interesting read, thanks.  It was also interesting they said they were in Product Marketing.  Are they really programmers?  When I used to work at a company the people in Marketing knew f* all about technology and only knew how to lie to prospective customers so we technical peons would have to work night and day to deliver on the promises they made without asking us.  Of course they got big bonuses for "making a key sale".

Did that come across as bitter?   ;)  

Back on topic, it does seem like they are going a direction I like.  I'm not into mobile music-making but I know other people are.  As long as they don't neglect Reason development too much, I'm happy.

+1000!
But I do think these guys are different.

I would have preferred if they launched a more mature Discover service - imo this is almost unusable atm. Rating, communicating with the drop contributors - missing - W...T...F!?

But I am willing to wait and see what happens;what other option do I have:-)

jappe

08 Apr 2015

JNeffLind wrote:http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/mee ... are-618842

Just thought I'd share this with any interested parties.
Thank's for sharing!
Any news are good news, with the chance of making me understand how the Prop's are thinking.

Some thoughts:

"We're continuously rolling out updates to the service based on feedback from our users"
We should have a Discover Feature Requests subforum, let them come to us for great ideas rather than each member anonymously mailing ideas to them:-)

"
We're continuously rolling out updates to the service based on feedback from our users"
Very good. Since rating/feedback/collaborator communication are must-have, it shouldn't take long time before we see them,

"
When we're using our phones for music-making, we're often in other situations than when at the computer"
Very true. I wish that they could make me feel like i'm not on a mobile phone when browsing their site on my PC.

I also wish Propellerheads could think outside the box regarding apps on Android.
A simple example of an Android music app that works just fine on Android is Chordbot.
They are just lazy or ignorant when they claim Android isn't mature and fit for them to make music apps(can't provide a reference link atm; read it in some other interview).
If the platform isn't working for their ideas they should find a different app paradigm that works!

EDIT: I found the statement about Android

"What about Android support? 
We would love to, but unfortunately Android is not yet suitable for real-time music apps like Take and Figure. We're keeping a close eye at the Android OS development, but unfortunately we don't have a time frame for when it will be possible for us to make our apps for Android too."
https://www.propellerheads.se/landing-p ... rhead/faq/

They are talking about "real time" like real time is all that matters. I wish they would reconsider this - making music is about making music in every good way. Not only real time.

EnochLight

08 Apr 2015

Good article, though I also thought the "Meet the Programmers - errr.. wait - they're marketing!!!" part was funny.  I'm interested to see where Discover goes as well as the Drop to Prop stuff, but this bears repeating:

Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (102.8 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

trimph1

08 Apr 2015

joeyluck wrote:That last comment in the interview should set the iOS app/Reason mission-doomsdayers at ease.

But it won't lol.  Because they'll always find something to speculate and complain about  :?
Prophets Of Doom will adjust to the new paradigm...in their own inimitable way. :crazy:
....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

stratatonic

08 Apr 2015

"Kalle Paulsson: Leo is responsible for apps, and I for the music sharing service that we launched..."

---

Every time a question was asked about music sharing/collaboration, Leo answered - and Kalle answered the app question... 

Go figure...

EnochLight

08 Apr 2015

stratatonic wrote:Every time a question was asked about music sharing/collaboration, Leo answered - and Kalle answered the app question... 

Go figure...
It's an interesting take, for sure.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Lunesis

08 Apr 2015

jappe wrote:We should have a Discover Feature Requests subforum
Nooo, no more subforums. Sorry.  :nono:

jappe

08 Apr 2015

Lunesis wrote:
Oh I guess a sticky thread would be fine too.

Lunesis

08 Apr 2015

Lunesis wrote:
jappe wrote: Oh I guess a sticky thread would be fine too.
I renamed the feature request forum ;)

jappe

08 Apr 2015

Lunesis wrote:
jappe wrote: Oh I guess a sticky thread would be fine too.
Lunesis wrote:
I renamed the feature request forum ;)
Perfect:-)

phasys

08 Apr 2015

jappe wrote:
They are talking about "real time" like real time is all that matters. I wish they would reconsider this - making music is about making music in every good way. Not only real time.
I don't think you understand how music software works. How else are you going to make music? Punch it in and render it?

jfrichards

08 Apr 2015

phasys wrote:I don't think you understand how music software works. How else are you going to make music? Punch it in and render it?
Before I dive in, is that a joke?

• Information