Is it possible to pan individual Osc with thor's programmer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
woozy

08 Apr 2015

Hi, is it possible to pan seperate Osc just within thor, let's say i want to pan Osc1 to left and scale that with rotary and Osc2 to the right scale that with rortary, after some attempts i've failed to do that. Does anyone have some ideas? i've have a feeling that's impossible   :frown: . It will be good for me if it work with programing thor parameters with combinator, but no mixers allowed, because i want to pan all osc individualy and use filter with same thor.

Olivier

08 Apr 2015

woozy wrote:Hi, is it possible to pan seperate Osc just within thor, let's say i want to pan Osc1 to left and scale that with rotary and Osc2 to the right scale that with rortary, after some attempts i've failed to do that. Does anyone have some ideas? i've have a feeling that's impossible   :frown: . It will be good for me if it work with programing thor parameters with combinator, but no mixers allowed, because i want to pan all osc individualy and use filter with same thor.
Yes, you can. But you'd have to change some internal routing to bypass the amp (because it sums to mono). Which means on release you get clicks.

Thor_LR_Filter.zip    

You can solve this with several thors chained within a combinator (no mixers needed). If you're interested i can whip up an example.

Attachments
Thor_LR_Filter.zip
(737 Bytes) Downloaded 39 times
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

woozy

08 Apr 2015

Thanks, but that controls both Osc, which i need to control for each one individualy within 1 thor. if it had just one osc (in your example)it would turn into level control, hope it makes sense, i think it's impossible to do without a mixer.

selig
RE Developer

08 Apr 2015

woozy wrote:Hi, is it possible to pan seperate Osc just within thor, let's say i want to pan Osc1 to left and scale that with rotary and Osc2 to the right scale that with rortary, after some attempts i've failed to do that. Does anyone have some ideas? i've have a feeling that's impossible   :frown: . It will be good for me if it work with programing thor parameters with combinator, but no mixers allowed, because i want to pan all osc individualy and use filter with same thor.
The clue to one way to accomplish this is on the back of Thor:

You can substitute the individual oscillators with the Filter 1 and Filter 2, or keep the current routing and use the Filter Drive of Filter 1/2 to assign to the Rotaries as per your request.

The approach (specifically the "Scale 1" section) deals with the "missing Amp section" issues others have mentioned previously in this thread.

:)
Update: Here's an even simpler way to accomplish what you're looking for (I think):
Here's the file I built using this approach:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/147 ... p.thor.zip
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-04-08_at_9.40.53_AM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-04-08_at_9.40.53_AM.png (16.58 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
Selig Audio, LLC

woozy

08 Apr 2015

That works fine, but the problem is that i can't get 2 pan control's for 2 osc that controls it seperataly in that case thor need to have 4 double scale fields, actually i can get it without scaling to amp env but that's not panning all the way, and what's the point of that why just not use pan knob in amp section? 

kloeckno

08 Apr 2015

Use 2 thors in a combinator to make things simpler. If you use the combi programmer, you can easily add a knob to control the panning too.

woozy

08 Apr 2015

I'm making complex combinator synths with loads of voices so every combi or thor knob, input, programer space is very important, that's why i'm so thrifty, i need pan thing because i need to spread voices but adding mixers requires another thor for filters that mean adding another bunch of thors and that just makes things more complex and will increase dsp witch is already high, to give sense, max amount of devices i've end up doing this types of synths is nearly 200.

lowpryo

08 Apr 2015

woozy wrote:I'm making complex combinator synths with loads of voices so every combi or thor knob, input, programer space is very important, that's why i'm so thrifty, i need pan thing because i need to spread voices but adding mixers requires another thor for filters that mean adding another bunch of thors and that just makes things more complex and will increase dsp witch is already high, to give sense, max amount of devices i've end up doing this types of synths is nearly 200.
:shock:

wow. I was also going to recommend a line mixer and multiple thors. I normally wouldn't worry about CPU because they're so light weight. but if it's going to double your devices from 200 to 400, I guess I can see you're issue...

but seriously, what does a combi with 200 devices in it even sound like? is it really worth it?

woozy

08 Apr 2015

It's not like every device is thor most of them are spiders about 60 thors and some pulsar's for modulation couple of mixers some effects that sum up to about 200 and i get 4 Osc thor with 16 voices per Osc so total of 64 Osc this is the most i've done because i run out of combi programmer space. You can listen to my music if you wanna hear how it sounds most of the synth done that way.

Raveshaper

08 Apr 2015

I believe you can do independent panning, but it will mean breaking the internal signal flow of Thor to do it. I can give it a try layer today and see what I can come up with.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

selig
RE Developer

08 Apr 2015

woozy wrote:That works fine, but the problem is that i can't get 2 pan control's for 2 osc that controls it seperataly in that case thor need to have 4 double scale fields, actually i can get it without scaling to amp env but that's not panning all the way, and what's the point of that why just not use pan knob in amp section? 
Sorry, totally misunderstood what you wanted there!

It's simpler than all that. ;)
Here's what you're wanting (file attached below):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/147 ... p.thor.zip

I
n this setup, Rotary 1 is OSC1 Pan, and Rotary 2 is OSC2 Pan.
You could also use Filter 3 instead of Filter 1/2 if you didn't need a polyphonic filter, and the Delay and Chorus will also work in this setup if you so choose. :)
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-04-08_at_7.20.18_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-04-08_at_7.20.18_PM.png (23.18 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Selig Audio, LLC

BPGeez

08 Apr 2015

Selig is just a fuckin genius. Fuckin genius.... geesh
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

• Information