is that true that reason is not backward compatible?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Gulale

07 Apr 2015

If I want to upgrade to reason 8, not that I want to.  Does it mean that all my previous project won't open? I was having a discussion with a friend and he mentioned as if reason 8 is not backward compatible. is that really true?
Gulale aka Bereket

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2015

It is backwards compatible.

There is however an expected compatibility issue in future versions (predicted v9) that likely will not be able to use line 6 devices.

submonsterz

07 Apr 2015

He probally meant if you update
anything you load into the new version will not then open back up in you're previous version or any version lower than you have.
Also if you update res to newer sdk also if you used them in lower versions and try run the old program
they will no longer work or load the old tracks back into a previous version.
And that's even if you change nothing to the song file and saved it

EnochLight

07 Apr 2015

To clarify: anything you open in version 8 and save, cannot be opened in a previous version. But, as already pointed out, you most certainly can open all other previous version's project files going all the way back to version 1 almost 15 years ago.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Gulale

07 Apr 2015

avasopht wrote:It is backwards compatible. There is however an expected compatibility issue in future versions (predicted v9) that likely will not be able to use line 6 devices.
Thanks all of you for your answer. Highly appreciated.  I have understood what my friend was trying to say the moment @avasoft clarify the concept. Thank you all. 
just to give my background, I was a reason user since version 4 pressed the upgrade pause button on seven expecting most probably 9. Thank you

Gulale aka Bereket

syncanonymous

27 Feb 2023

apologies for digging up this biter
I've just run into this backwards compatibility issue from v12 to v10

anyone know if there are any legacy save functions in Reason higher versions?
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

jam-s

27 Feb 2023

syncanonymous wrote:
27 Feb 2023
apologies for digging up this biter
I've just run into this backwards compatibility issue from v12 to v10

anyone know if there are any legacy save functions in Reason higher versions?
No there has never been one and still there is none.

hassanizhar

27 Feb 2023

Reason 8 is generally backward compatible with previous versions of Reason, meaning that you should be able to open your old projects in Reason 8 without any issues. However, there may be some exceptions to this, depending on the specific features and devices you used in your old projects.

For example, if you used a device or feature in an older version of Reason that has been removed or significantly changed in Reason 8, you may encounter compatibility issues when opening the project. Additionally, if you used third-party plugins or devices in your old projects that are not compatible with Reason 8, you may also encounter issues.

To minimize the risk of compatibility issues, it's always a good idea to make a backup of your old projects before upgrading to a new version of Reason. This way, you can always go back to the old version if you encounter any issues.

Overall, while there may be some compatibility issues when upgrading to Reason 8, it is generally backward compatible with older versions of Reason, and you should be able to open your old projects without any major issues.

huggermugger

27 Feb 2023

Generally, any program is backwards compatible with its own files (although there are exceptions, such as when the gap in time is too large and the newer version of the software has evolved into something very different).

For example, Reason 12 can open a file made in Reason 9. The reverse is not true. Reason 9 can't open a file made in Reason 12.

Adam W

27 Feb 2023

I'm having a similar compatibility issue between R10 and R12 - really frustrating, as I have a ton of old project files that no longer open.

I can't tell for certain, but it seems like projects with a lot of audio recorded are most affected. I thought maybe something was wrong with my computer until I found mention of the issue in this thread.

Is this a widespread problem? Are lots of folks having trouble opening older files in 12, or is it a rare fluke?

selig
RE Developer

27 Feb 2023

Adam W wrote:
27 Feb 2023
I'm having a similar compatibility issue between R10 and R12 - really frustrating, as I have a ton of old project files that no longer open.

I can't tell for certain, but it seems like projects with a lot of audio recorded are most affected. I thought maybe something was wrong with my computer until I found mention of the issue in this thread.

Is this a widespread problem? Are lots of folks having trouble opening older files in 12, or is it a rare fluke?
I've never heard of this happening under any circumstance in 20 years of being a Reason user, so not sure what's going on here. And unless I've totally misread things (doing a quick scan), no one in this thread is having this issue...
Selig Audio, LLC

Adam W

27 Feb 2023

Oh I must've misread the post about legacy saves - apologies. Maybe it's a Windows issue that's preventing the files from opening...

syncanonymous

27 Feb 2023

I've been a Reason user for 20 years, too
I've never had an issue opening up old vanilla songs in a newer version

now I've started collaborating with a friend who just purchased Reason+ 12,
he can (obviously) open and work on my v10 songs once he acquires the REs he doesn't have that I have used

I can't then open with v10 anything he has done in Reason + v12

When He and I read "version 10 compatible, we assumed it meant back and forth
so, for anyone else who might be thinking that, no, Reason 12 songs cannot be opened in RSN 10
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD

crimsonwarlock

27 Feb 2023

syncanonymous wrote:
27 Feb 2023
That would be forward compatibility. You need a time machine for that :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

syncanonymous

27 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 Feb 2023
syncanonymous wrote:
27 Feb 2023
That would be forward compatibility. You need a time machine for that :puf_wink:
I tried to get him to buy a v10 license! doh! (not really)

anyway, things like MS word/exel allow saving for older versions
further some softwares allow importing old edls (or other formats) to be opened in "future" versions
that's what I'm talking about

selig
RE Developer

27 Feb 2023

syncanonymous wrote:
27 Feb 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 Feb 2023

I tried to get him to buy a v10 license! doh! (not really)

further some softwares allow importing old edls (or other formats) to be opened in "future" versions
that's what I'm talking about
In Reason that would mean lots of stuff wouldn't work in certain versions. So for every version you could save as, there would be a list of devices or data stripped from the file.
Not only would this be time consuming to write and debug, but also to use! You would essential have to work ONLY with the tools available in the version you want to share/save as. So if you want to share with a v5.0 user, you would have to only use what is available in version 5.

And how would you know exactly what is and is not 'legal's the 'save as' version so nothing gets stripped in the conversion?

Well, one way is to simply use the same version as the person you what to share with. This ensures PERFECT file sharing, no conversion, and no accidentally using things you can't share.

Problem solved! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

27 Feb 2023

syncanonymous wrote:
27 Feb 2023
Have you ever tried to load a word-6 file into the current version? :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

syncanonymous

27 Feb 2023

Sorry guys, but we aren't talking about a 15 year difference in versions
we are talking Reason 10 (2017) to 12 (2021)

I fully understand there would be issues and a protocol would need to be established
between collaborators

anyway, no probs...I get it
Last edited by syncanonymous on 27 Feb 2023, edited 1 time in total.

syncanonymous

27 Feb 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 Feb 2023
syncanonymous wrote:
27 Feb 2023
Have you ever tried to load a word-6 file into the current version? :lol:
I'm currently running MS Office 2007
sure, there are some compatibility issues...not huge deals, tho

selig
RE Developer

27 Feb 2023

syncanonymous wrote:
27 Feb 2023

I fully understand there would be issues and a protocol would need to be established
between collaborators

Then it seems the simplest and most reliable protocol in this particular case would be to both use Reason 10, no?
But seriously, this feature is HIGHLY unlikely to ever be added. If you need it today there is already a very simple 100% reliable workflow available… :)
Selig Audio, LLC

syncanonymous

27 Feb 2023

selig wrote:
27 Feb 2023
syncanonymous wrote:
27 Feb 2023

between collaborators

Then it seems the simplest and most reliable protocol in this particular case would be to both use Reason 10, no?
But seriously, this feature is HIGHLY unlikely to ever be added. If you need it today there is already a very simple 100% reliable workflow available… :)
Yeah, thanks Selig, I'm not asking for this to be implemented
the simplest protocol is probably to trade stems, actually
I'm not really interested in getting into the software rental game, man

it's just a conversation here on the clarity of version compatibility

selig
RE Developer

28 Feb 2023

syncanonymous wrote:
27 Feb 2023
selig wrote:
27 Feb 2023

I understand - it’s your collaborator that needs to load up version 10, there’s nothing more for you to do. Not sure why rental has entered the conversation.
Stems can work, eventually you’ll likely want the multitracks as well I would think. But you can still send them your R10 file, then they send you back multi-tracks (not stems, unless you’re not the one mixing in the end). Then you add their tracks into your song file and continue the process, repeat and rinse!
Selig Audio, LLC

jam-s

28 Feb 2023

If it is just a single project you could use a free 3 month trial coupon for R+ and simply use R12 for this project.

syncanonymous

03 Mar 2023

thanks guys
it will be ongoing

syncanonymous

03 Mar 2023

selig wrote:
28 Feb 2023
syncanonymous wrote:
27 Feb 2023

I understand - it’s your collaborator that needs to load up version 10, there’s nothing more for you to do. Not sure why rental has entered the conversation.
Stems can work, eventually you’ll likely want the multitracks as well I would think. But you can still send them your R10 file, then they send you back multi-tracks (not stems, unless you’re not the one mixing in the end). Then you add their tracks into your song file and continue the process, repeat and rinse!
indeed...we are already working that way :-)
He's learning...

so, what happens to old REs like Softube FET Comp, FXpansion, Ubik and other discontinued REs when I move to RSN12?

Will I have to find alternatives? Buy the VSTs?

I brought up software rental because of Reason+

• Information