Outside of Reason....

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Soft Enerji

09 Apr 2015

I actually didn't really think about guitars etc when I started this thread. So in that case I've got a Schecter bass, a cheap n cheerful Fender electric guitar and a half decent Fender acoustic guitar. The bass I can play.......the guitars.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

One other thing I have and I do occasionally hook it up to Sonar is my old school Roland MC500 Mk2. Otherwise it just sits on my desk looking cool  :crazy:

Soft Enerji

09 Apr 2015

I forgot about my ukelele.......I'm learning to play it so I can teach my boys.  :)

Gorilla Texas

09 Apr 2015

Nymphomation wrote:Flying the flag for Cubase, woo hoo!

Why? I used to use it years before Reason dealt with Audio & Midi out properly, so I knew it fairly well. I bought a synth with an upcoming VST associated plug in (Elektron Overbridge) and a friend that works at NI gave me a fully licensed version of Komplete Ultimate.

SO got back into to using it. It's slower than Reason, it crashes, but I am spoilt for choice when it comes to sound. And it does some truely amazing things out the box, without the NI stuff to be honest.

I switch between the two depending on what mood I'm in, but never rewire. can;t be arsed with having two save projects for every song (that is what you do when you rewire isn't it?)

I rewire into S1 and record audio from Reason so i never need to save a Reason version.

Faastwalker

10 Apr 2015

Reason & iOS. A few bits of hardware. That's about it these days.

gak

10 Apr 2015

Reason has replaced everything for me except studio one. Why studio one? Because it's not worth anything on the used market :rofl:

But seriously, the nice thing is that if I really want to use some of the nice plugs and master there is a nice feature in S1 "pro" that allows you to have all of your songs at once. And we all know how cool reason is at exporting files for easy drag/drop for just such a chore :)

But since I'm not even quite 3 months in to reason, I'm still just trying to learn it and use it solo.

I don't DO rewire currently. 

eusti

10 Apr 2015

I guess I'm in the minority here... I just recently got intrigued and enamored with Garageband and Garageband iOS...
I love the smart instruments (guitar, bass & strings) in the iOS version... Quite inspiring, but of course might get old once I get used to it...
And the smart drummer in the desktop version... And with a few tricks you can even get to those midi parts into Reason...
I like having those pattern generators... The drummer is pretty useful for me in the desktop version... (Might actually look into Logic because of more control because of that!) The iOS patterns are somewhat limited... And especially the string parts need some work as they are quire full of extreme expression data that is somewhat hard to handle for the Reason instruments I tested so far...

Anyways, horses for courses, but still wanted to share!

D.

devilfish

10 Apr 2015

devilfish wrote: I am considering to buy Cubase Pro 8.
Do you know if Reason 8.2 and Cubase Pro 8 work in rewire?

Also have Elektrons since this year.. (and still waiting for Overbridge)  :D
Nymphomation wrote:
I don't know for sure, but can't think why they wouldn't work together. Have a look for an early version of Cubase on ebay, and upgrade the license from that - it may be cheaper. I got 7.5 during their 'grace' period for upgrades and got it for about £200 (plus £15 on a old version from ebay)

Elektron is an inspiring company, I can't believe how much amazing stuff they've produced in a relatively short amount of time - compared to Roland, Korg, Moog, Waldorf etc. I own the AK, and I desperately want more.... very addictive machines! Looking at an Octatrack
The Octatrack is an amazing Sampler! My new "go to" Machine. It is a bit hard to get your brain inside the funktions,.. but damn! It´s a dream of Hardware Sampler ! So freaking groovy..
I acutally have the MachineDrum MK2 UW + Analog four + Octatrack. The Units burns my head all day.. fucking inspiring.. and everything have that great groovy out of the box Club Sound.. I relly love it <3  

In DAW World you Need so much plugins to get a rich and fat grooving sound.. Elektrons you only have to turn on.. and Booom! :D  

Rook

11 Apr 2015

Interesting that a lot of people seem to be pairing Reason with Studio One. I demoed it a long time ago and liked it, but never took the plunge. I might have to check it out again soon. Actually, Reason is still the only DAW I've ever spent any considerable amount of money on.

For a couple years now, I've been using Reaper. I hated it at first, because it seemed so...utilitarian and ugly. But I forced myself to use it because the demo didn't cost me anything. Eventually, I really came to appreciate a lot of things about its workflow...especially when it comes to audio stuff. Select/dragging little segments of audio out of the media browser is AWESOME. One of my favorite things I've ever created was done entirely with Reaper and a few freeware VSTs...

I did just recently buy the Arturia SparkLE, while it was on sale. I've really been enjoying it--very hands on. Still trying to figure out the best way to incorporate it into my workflow.

In terms of "hardware", I've got a few guitars, a bass, couple amps, and recently started building a pedalboard for the first time (something I've wanted to do for ages). I've been through a few cheap hardware synths and sold them all off, but I've been wanting to try something nicer. Actually, I just made an offer on a Nord Lead A1...we'll see how that turns out :)

EnochLight

11 Apr 2015

Rook wrote:One of my favorite things I've ever created was done entirely with Reaper and a few freeware VSTs...

Wow - that track is incredible!  Well done, man!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Rook

12 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:
Wow - that track is incredible!  Well done, man!
Thanks, Enoch!

bouwie

12 Apr 2015

At home i use cubase 6.5 with rewire reason 7.1
On stage only reason 7.1

Flandersh

12 Apr 2015

Presonus Studio One for production and mixing, Steinberg Wavelab for mastering, Presonus Notion for composition, and NI Reaktor and Cycling'74 Max/Msp for lego the dsp way.

EddieG

12 Apr 2015

DAW - Samplitude ProX for mixing and mastering
Laptop - Studio One for mobile recording
stratcatfl in the house !

The Tone Ranger

13 Apr 2015

I could quite happily get by only using Reason. I don't need anything else but the other stuff is nice to have.

mbfrancis

13 Apr 2015

I have been trying to do everything in Reason since v6, and can get by, but finally broke down and bought S1 on Black Friday for two main reasons: 1) pitch correction - Neptune is just awful, and only real time - and 2) multi-track drum editing/quantize.   There are other benefits to S1 - managing a mix session (e.g. folders), VSTs - but I could have got a long OK in Reason if it wasn't for those two things.

What remains to be seen is which DAW I will do final mixes in - do I use S1 to edit but then come back into Reason to mix or do I finish all my production/music-making in Reason and then export audio to S1 to mix.  Probably the latter, in which case I will stop buying effects RE and focus on instruments/Refills.  TBD.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

• Information