8.2 issues

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Soft Enerji

03 Apr 2015

Thought I may as well start a thread because I got one :roll: .

Okay so I just installed and carried on working with the track I was working with earlier today. I'd been having some minor clipping that I couldn't nail down so I decided to put a limiter that I'd created and saved from another track onto the master out. When I got to the folder where I'd saved it, it was there but it's icon was gone. Same story with all my other saved patches, for Thor, Kong, etc, etc. No icons anymore. Anyone els noticed this?

Cheers

Mark

marcuswitt

03 Apr 2015

Thanks for your post. Well, I didn't notice what you've described. Question: Are you running R8.2 on a Mac or on a Windows driven PC? If you're on a Mac then I suggest to use OSX's Disk Utility in order to repair your HD's permissions. If that doesn't help then try the maintenance tool Yosemite Cache Cleaner for further and deeper mending. I'm sure that it's not Reason specific what you've discovered there, I assume that some permissions (or in case of using Windows a hand full of registries) got 'twisted' on your hard disk. I don't know if this was a little helpful - but good luck.

Soft Enerji

03 Apr 2015

Running Windows 7 64bit. I'll have a play around tomorrow morning and see if I can figure out what's happening. The patches still work, just no icons.

Soft Enerji

03 Apr 2015

On a whim, just before I was gonna shut down for the evening, I rebooted windows, opened reason and all is fine now. Weird!! :?

Ostermilk

03 Apr 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:On a whim, just before I was gonna shut down for the evening, I rebooted windows, opened reason and all is fine now. Weird!! :?
Windows associations normally reside in the Registry, so if a reboot doesn't fix it by re-reading the registry at boot time then a re-install where the associations that lead to icons being shown will get re-written usually will.

Some over-zealous registry cleaner type programs can also wipe out legitimate Windows file associations on occasion, so I wouldn't say it's an 8.2 specific issue more like something that can happen with any Windows application from time to time.

syncanonymous

03 Apr 2015

I had an issue as well with the 8.2 update; Win7 machine that has been running R8.1 just fine . Before install of 8.2 I moved all refills to a new folder, except of course FSB and Orkester. Then as per instructions, I installed 8.2; moved FSB and Orkester into reason 8 folder. Next launch R8.2, which opened for a while, I repointed the moved Refills to the faves in the browser, then after a couple minutes 8.2 closed all by itself. At this point I decided to uninstall R8.1 which I had installed on the back of demoing Reason 8.1. I uninstalled Reason 8.1 from the uninstall folder within the Reason folder. This removed completely the Reason files and folders in the Propellerheads/Reason location. It also deleted the reason.exe from another folder I had the reason demo in named "Reason Demo" which was not in my Program Files folder. The "Reason Demo" folder still had some videos, pdf and FSB and Orkester refills. I tweeted PropellerheadsSW who confirmed deletion of the "Reason Demo" was fine to do whenever I wanted, thus I deleted those othe other demo files. 8.2 had closed by itself, so I decided to reboot.

Upon reboot, I got a system hang on the Win7 "starting windows" fuzzy windows animation start up screen. The hang lasted about 5-10minutes before I crashed out by pressing and holding the power button. After laptop shut down, I pressed power again to start, and was presented with windows stating that there was a problem starting windows and it was reccommended to run "startup repair". I opted to run startup repair. Windows then suggested system restore. I felt that restore would take me back to before I installed 8.2, and I wanted to avoid that, so I opted to let startup repair continue. Startup repair was taking a very long time. For about an hour I went google searching and some folks were complaining startup repair running for 11hrs with no end in sight. No way was I prepared to wait for that. I found some info suggesting booting with a recovery disk, which I then did. Startup repair has a "cancel" button its dialog, but if the user tries to cancel, the user is informed cancelling startup repair is not allowed. So I crashed out with press and hold power button again, with the recovery disc in the drive ( which likely made no difference) I powered up again. The option to "start windows normally" was presented which I chose and booted into windows as normal.

I'm gonna guess this seemed a UAC issue as UAC warning was automatically minimized at launch of R8.2 install routine, and was tricky to get to display anywhere but on the taskbar. I don't know or do I have have any concrete reasons for UAC to be the culprit. I probably should have UAC disabled on this laptop, but it doesn't annoy me as much in Win7 as it does on Vista. Anyhow, once I started windows normally, all seems fine, I ran R8.2 with no issues for about 4hrs as normal.

I know that was long winded, but that's what happened to me when I updated to 8.2 yesterday.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Soft Enerji

03 Apr 2015

syncanonymous wrote:I had an issue as well with the 8.2 update; Win7 machine that has been running R8.1 just fine . Before install of 8.2 I moved all refills to a new folder, except of course FSB and Orkester. Then as per instructions, I installed 8.2; moved FSB and Orkester into reason 8 folder. Next launch R8.2, which opened for a while, I repointed the moved Refills to the faves in the browser, then after a couple minutes 8.2 closed all by itself. At this point I decided to uninstall R8.1 which I had installed on the back of demoing Reason 8.1. I uninstalled Reason 8.1 from the uninstall folder within the Reason folder. This removed completely the Reason files and folders in the Propellerheads/Reason location. It also deleted the reason.exe from another folder I had the reason demo in named "Reason Demo" which was not in my Program Files folder. The "Reason Demo" folder still had some videos, pdf and FSB and Orkester refills. I tweeted PropellerheadsSW who confirmed deletion of the "Reason Demo" was fine to do whenever I wanted, thus I deleted those othe other demo files. 8.2 had closed by itself, so I decided to reboot. Upon reboot, I got a system hang on the Win7 "starting windows" fuzzy windows animation start up screen. The hang lasted about 5-10minutes before I crashed out by pressing and holding the power button. After laptop shut down, I pressed power again to start, and was presented with windows stating that there was a problem starting windows and it was reccommended to run "startup repair". I opted to run startup repair. Windows then suggested system restore. I felt that restore would take me back to before I installed 8.2, and I wanted to avoid that, so I opted to let startup repair continue. Startup repair was taking a very long time. For about an hour I went google searching and some folks were complaining startup repair running for 11hrs with no end in sight. No way was I prepared to wait for that. I found some info suggesting booting with a recovery disk, which I then did. Startup repair has a "cancel" button its dialog, but if the user tries to cancel, the user is informed cancelling startup repair is not allowed. So I crashed out with press and hold power button again, with the recovery disc in the drive ( which likely made no difference) I powered up again. The option to "start windows normally" was presented which I chose and booted into windows as normal. I'm gonna guess this seemed a UAC issue as UAC warning was automatically minimized at launch of R8.2 install routine, and was tricky to get to display anywhere but on the taskbar. I don't know or do I have have any concrete reasons for UAC to be the culprit. I probably should have UAC disabled on this laptop, but it doesn't annoy me as much in Win7 as it does on Vista. Anyhow, once I started windows normally, all seems fine, I ran R8.2 with no issues for about 4hrs as normal. I know that was long winded, but that's what happened to me when I updated to 8.2 yesterday.
That would have been annoying but glad you got it fixed. My issue has not recurred this morning so still no idea what was going on!

Ostermilk

03 Apr 2015

Soft Enerji wrote:
My issue has not recurred this morning so still no idea what was going on!
Despite my explanation that sometimes changes to the registry just don't take until a reboot or at least a restart of Windows Explorer?

ScuzzyEye

03 Apr 2015

Ostermilk wrote:Despite my explanation that sometimes changes to the registry just don't take until a reboot or at least a restart of Windows Explorer?
Yeah. It's the Explorer shell that doesn't always pick up association changes.

MDTerps2015

03 Apr 2015

I never update until i see a few complaints or bug fixes fixed. People forever jump on the update bus without knowing whats in store. I wait for someone else to take the jump. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Ostermilk

03 Apr 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:I never update until i see a few complaints or bug fixes fixed. People forever jump on the update bus without knowing whats in store. I wait for someone else to take the jump. 
Well I've already jumped and it is largely fixes or improvements as you'd expect from a point release rather than a version upgrade.

People forever jumping on the update bus?  Man, it's just impovements some of 'em are pretty cool too such as reduced download size, more colours, improvements to the browser, additional control via remote for Redrum and a bunch of fixes.

What do you want here, fixes to the fixes?... :)   Plus the fact if you already own 8 why wouldn't you download the update straight away? It's not going to cost you anything. Then if you did actually find issues you could report them and we might all benefit from something being fixed earlier than it might have been thanks to your discovery.

How about that for a more positive approach than sneering at those on the 'update bus'?

ebop

03 Apr 2015

Dunno if it's just me, but so often the bugs that make it through in Reason releases are so obscure and irrelevant to how I use the programme that I never give them a second thought when updating. iOS is a bit different. They release updates with some pretty annoying bugs that really piss me off.

I always update/upgrade straight away to get right in amongst the new features. R8.2 was a fantastic update with the new colours, really brightened up my day. Revert is another great feature. Bloody marvellous :)

Soft Enerji

04 Apr 2015

Ostermilk wrote: Despite my explanation that sometimes changes to the registry just don't take until a reboot or at least a restart of Windows Explorer?
I got what you were saying and as I said before, I rebooted before I shut down last night which fixed the problem and the issue did not reappear this morning.

Cheers for yer input ;)

Mark

Bonkhead

04 Apr 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote: jump on the update bus

It's bandwagon, not bus ...... haven't you seen enough reason commercials already :P ?

jfrichards

04 Apr 2015

Bonkhead wrote:It's bandwagon, not bus ...... haven't you seen enough reason commercials already :P ?
nowhere I'd rather be...

Attachments
bandwagon.png
bandwagon.png (435.54 KiB) Viewed 2226 times

jappe

04 Apr 2015

Hmm...just updated from 8.1 to 8.2, and copied soundbanks from the 8.1 installation folder.
But still:

I will press the download button, assuming this is a misleading info message - it's only going to download the "additional content" - not soundbanks.

Attachments
reason.png
reason.png (271.05 KiB) Viewed 2221 times

virtualpt

04 Apr 2015

jappe wrote:Hmm...just updated from 8.1 to 8.2, and copied soundbanks from the 8.1 installation folder.
But still:

I will press the download button, assuming this is a misleading info message - it's only going to download the "additional content" - not soundbanks.
I copied mine over too, but it still insisted on downoading them.

ebop

04 Apr 2015

Yeah, it is a bit misleading and I wondered the same before pressing download. It didn't download the soundbanks for me. The update process was pretty quick in the end.

EnochLight

04 Apr 2015

jappe wrote:Hmm...just updated from 8.1 to 8.2, and copied soundbanks from the 8.1 installation folder.
But still:

virtualpt wrote:I copied mine over too, but it still insisted on downoading them.
Assuming you both are on Windows, did the both of you copy the FSB to:

C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\Reason 8

..and the Orkerster to:

C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks\Orkester

There's no reason why it should have prompted you with a "content missing" if the soundbanks were put there from 8.1...

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

04 Apr 2015

But still:

EnochLight wrote:
virtualpt wrote:I copied mine over too, but it still insisted on downoading them.
EnochLight wrote:

..and the Orkerster to:

There's no reason why it should have prompted you with a "content missing" if the soundbanks were put there from 8.1...

One reason: there is content that is not a sound bank. It's the "and additional content" that is the clue here IMO. 
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

tiker01

04 Apr 2015

selig wrote:
But still:

EnochLight wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

..and the Orkerster to:

selig wrote: One reason: there is content that is not a sound bank. It's the "and additional content" that is the clue here IMO. 
Yepp, it needs the ID8.dat too.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Ostermilk

04 Apr 2015

selig wrote:
One reason: there is content that is not a sound bank. It's the "and additional content" that is the clue here IMO. 
There's another reason too if you've been using the same FSB and Orkester soundbanks for a good long while... :)

Just let it do it's thing and you'll be brought right up to date and everything will be where it's supposed to be.

jappe

04 Apr 2015

My installation went well without downloading the soundbanks again. The installation program moved the soundbanks from the program directory to that global data location.

clone

05 Apr 2015

Same here, old sound banks were not working anymore and had to download new authorizer as well. Everything is all good now.

MDTerps2015

05 Apr 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:I never update until i see a few complaints or bug fixes fixed. People forever jump on the update bus without knowing whats in store. I wait for someone else to take the jump. 
Ostermilk wrote:
Well I've already jumped and it is largely fixes or improvements as you'd expect from a point release rather than a version upgrade.

People forever jumping on the update bus?  Man, it's just impovements some of 'em are pretty cool too such as reduced download size, more colours, improvements to the browser, additional control via remote for Redrum and a bunch of fixes.

What do you want here, fixes to the fixes?... :)   Plus the fact if you already own 8 why wouldn't you download the update straight away? It's not going to cost you anything. Then if you did actually find issues you could report them and we might all benefit from something being fixed earlier than it might have been thanks to your discovery.

How about that for a more positive approach than sneering at those on the 'update bus'?
There is a guy on Reasonista in facebook who cant use his rack extensions and actually one in here Reasontalk who cant even open his Reason. Thats what im talking about. Updates never go completely flawless. I wait for you guys to go through the garb of having to dig around and figure it out, then i will download later. Nothing there that will help me anyway. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

• Information