Losing Browse Focus when adjusting parameters on device

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

02 Apr 2015

In Reason 8, I lose browse focus when adjusting any parameter on the browsed device. When I am browsing patches, I may tweak a control or two. If I want to continue to browse patches using arrow keys, I cannot.

Is this normal behaviour? Or, what am I doing wrong? :)

selig
RE Developer

02 Apr 2015

I believe that is "normal", and one reason why folks accidentally create a new instrument when they resume what they think is browsing. I'm not sure why browser focus needs to be released when a value is tweaked - I sometimes adjust the mixer level when browsing, and the same thing happens. :frown:
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

02 Apr 2015

This should be able to be fixed, right? Browse focus should only be removed when you choose to browse another device or maybe click empty space in the rack.

Parameter

02 Apr 2015

stratatonic wrote:I lose browse focus when adjusting any parameter on the browsed device.
Hi :)  I hope my understanding is correct, here is the solution:

1. Keep focus on device

2. Control/Command+

3. Continue surfing patches

4. Repeat steps 1,2,3 as the need arises.

stratatonic

02 Apr 2015

stratatonic wrote:I lose browse focus when adjusting any parameter on the browsed device.

1. Keep focus on device

2. Control/Command+

This works, yes. Thank you. :) But why do we have to press CTRL+B when all we did was just tweak a knob on that device or change level on that mixer channel? It just seems like a wasted unnecessary step to retain focus.

Parameter

03 Apr 2015

stratatonic wrote:But why do we have to press CTRL+B when all we did was just tweak a knob on that device or change level on that mixer channel? It just seems like a wasted unnecessary step to retain focus.
I understand.  It happens every time there is a click outside of browser. But at least, we have this shortcut :)

joeyluck

03 Apr 2015

Parameter wrote:

1. Keep focus on device

Parameter wrote:Control/Command+
[/size]
Parameter wrote:

Parameter wrote: This works, yes. Thank you. :) But why do we have to press CTRL+B when all we did was just tweak a knob on that device or change level on that mixer channel? It just seems like a wasted unnecessary step to retain focus.
Agreed.  Removing focus should be the action that requires something more.
Like I mentioned, I think this should only happen if you specifically assign focus to another device or click on empty space in the rack.

Not when you make adjustments in the mixer and certainly not when you make adjustments on the device itself.

Is this not possible for them to implement?
I don't think I know a single user who appreciates this behavior of the browser...
It really makes little sense.

stratatonic

03 Apr 2015

Parameter wrote:

1. Keep focus on device

[/size]
Parameter wrote:

Parameter wrote: This works, yes. Thank you. :) But why do we have to press CTRL+B when all we did was just tweak a knob on that device or change level on that mixer channel? It just seems like a wasted unnecessary step to retain focus.
stratatonic wrote:
Like I mentioned, I think this should only happen if you specifically assign focus to another device or click on empty space in the rack.

Not when you make adjustments in the mixer and certainly not when you make adjustments on the device itself.

Is this not possible for them to implement?
I don't think I know a single user who appreciates this behavior of the browser...
It really makes little sense.
With you on all points... :)

selig
RE Developer

03 Apr 2015

Parameter wrote:

1. Keep focus on device

[/size]
Parameter wrote:

stratatonic wrote:

To clarify, this only happens to me when making adjustments outside of the device with browser focus. You can tweak the browsed device all you like without loosing focus as far as I can tell!
Of course, IF you use the arrow keys after editing a patch, they are not interpreted as belonging to the browser, so you can't keep browsing that way as the arrows now "belong" to the rack (as they did before the new browser was added). You can still browse with a MIDI controller or with the mouse as before. :)
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

03 Apr 2015

Parameter wrote:

1. Keep focus on device

[/size]
Parameter wrote:

stratatonic wrote:

joeyluck wrote:
To clarify, this only happens to me when making adjustments outside of the device with browser focus. You can tweak the browsed device all you like without loosing focus as far as I can tell!
Of course, IF you use the arrow keys after editing a patch, they are not interpreted as belonging to the browser, so you can't keep browsing that way as the arrows now "belong" to the rack (as they did before the new browser was added). You can still browse with a MIDI controller or with the mouse as before. :)
:)
Sorry for the confusion. I was going off the OP that the browse focus is lost "when adjusting any parameter on the browsed device" and the comment by Parameter that "It happens every time there is a click outside of browser." And I feel like I remember this behavior. Could be wrong. I literally just removed the R8 demo last night, so can't check at the moment...

• Information