reasoon 8.2 revert comes on goes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ahs

02 Apr 2015

i don't understand why revert is there and after drag and drop it's gone. very randomly !

selig
RE Developer

02 Apr 2015

ahs wrote:i don't understand why revert is there and after drag and drop it's gone. very randomly !
Working reliably here.

Obviously (to me anyway) you have to be in browse mode for this to work, otherwise it won't know you are "browsing" and can't therefore "revert" (as I understand it).
If not in browse mode, you can still drag a patch to a device, but it's not the same thing. Hope this helps.
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

ahs

02 Apr 2015

it helps but ...

thank you selig !

challism

02 Apr 2015

I don't really get this new feature (at least I don't get the need for it), because all you needed to do before this update was hit undo (cntl+z).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

ahs

02 Apr 2015

you sell your license ?

lowpryo

02 Apr 2015

challism wrote:I don't really get this new feature (at least I don't get the need for it), because all you needed to do before this update was hit undo (cntl+z).
each undo can only go back one step. this is for when you are previewing LOTS of patches.
let's say you want to replace a synth, so you go into "browse" mode and go through 30 different patches. now at the end of that, what if you don't like any of them and want to go back to your original? in R7 and below, you could just hit "cancel". in R8.0, you would have to ctrl+z 30 times. this "revert" button fixes that problem.

ahs

02 Apr 2015

@selig

does not work here.

i load p.e. a kong and i am now in browse mode but no revert is there !!!

jfrichards

02 Apr 2015

ahs wrote:i don't understand why revert is there and after drag and drop it's gone. very randomly !
Revert is a function within browse, exactly the same as r7.  If the device patch window icons are not highlighted in orange, you are not in browse, and will not have the revert option.  If you didn't do any browsing through the orange-highlighted patch window, there will be no revert option.  And if you go somewhere else after browsing, it'll go away.  However, it's easy to find earlier patches either in the recent patches folder on the left or by hitting the left arrow (back) in the browser on the top left and go through the previous patch locations/lists.

selig
RE Developer

02 Apr 2015

ahs wrote:@selig

does not work here.

i load p.e. a kong and i am now in browse mode but no revert is there !!!
Works here - create Kong by double-clicking on it in the browser (browsing mode activated, as evidenced by the orange browse indicators), double click on new patch, revert appears (doing nothing else here).

Next I tried dragging Kong, then dragging patches - still works.

What are the exact steps you are following that DON'T allow Revert?

The ONLY way I can get Revert to NOT appear, is to NOT be in Browse mode - very consistent here.
Selig Audio, LLC

ahs

02 Apr 2015

oooohhhh i missed the doppleclick or cursor up or down first. :s0959:
only a mouse click doesn't work. props should change this !

selig
RE Developer

02 Apr 2015

challism wrote:I don't really get this new feature (at least I don't get the need for it), because all you needed to do before this update was hit undo (cntl+z).
Undo doesn't take you back to the FIRST patch browsed like Revert does. It's different, and undo doesn't do the same thing.

Selig Audio, LLC

Eagleizer

02 Apr 2015

ahs wrote:oooohhhh i missed the doppleclick or cursor up or down first. :s0959:
only a mouse click doesn't work. props should change this !
Single click does not change anything, and there is therefore nothing to revert to.

Double click, Load, click on arrows up/down, and hit up/down arrows on your
keyboard will load new patch and activate Revert. Ctrl+Z will take you to previous
patch (while browsing), and Revert will take you to the patch you had before browsing.

Note:

Revert is not going back to the patch you had before browsing, it`s loading
that patch after the patches you have already tried. So if you previewed 5
patches and then reverted, using Ctrl+Z will still take you backwards through
the 5 patches till you reach the original patch. (And what you did before browsing
if you continue hitting Ctrl+Z. )

Hope this makes sense. 

Cheers :)

thotbott

04 Apr 2015

i might be slow today, but how do you actually get this to work

thotbott

04 Apr 2015

never mind, got it to work, but doesnt seem to work for samples in a redrum thats in a combinator

jfrichards

04 Apr 2015

thotbott wrote:i might be slow today, but how do you actually get this to work
May I suggest a little self-tutorial experiment.  This is what I've learned about browse/revert so far (probably a bunch more to discover):

Open 8.2, drag a subtractor into the rack, notice the patch window icons are highlighted in orange, the bar across the top of the browser is orange, and the name of the patch is displayed at the bottom of the browser with info.  You are in browse mode.  Revert will become an option as you try out subsequent patches, whether 1)dragging them onto the Subtractor, 2)double-clicking on a subtractor patch in the browser, 3)clicking on the device patch window and selecting a new patch, 4)using the up and down arrows at the bottom of the browser next to the Load button, or 5)highlighting a subtractor patch in the browser and clicking on Load.  All these methods of patch selection will give you the option of Revert.  If you then click on Revert, the subtractor will go back to the patch that was loaded right before you started browsing, and browse mode will be turned off.

You can turn browse back on by clicking on the device patch window icons, or clicking on the device itself then the gray bar at the top of the browser file icon on the right.  Note that dragging a patch onto a device when it is not in browse mode will change the patch of the device but will not put the device into browse mode.

If you click anywhere else in Reason at any stage of this process, all the orange blotches and the Revert option go away.  You're not in browse mode.

selig
RE Developer

04 Apr 2015

thotbott wrote:never mind, got it to work, but doesnt seem to work for samples in a redrum thats in a combinator
IIRC, it's for PATCHES only. Won't work for samples in any case I'm aware of…
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information