Reason 8.2 Update is Available!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

07 Apr 2015

jfrichards wrote:There are a bunch of little improvements with 8, but none that warrant $129..
Well, now that $129 gets you 8.2, I would say that the cost is much more warranted than before IMHO.  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

devilfish

07 Apr 2015

The new colores sound amazing :P

gak

07 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:I've gotten at least 2 since I bought it last year. You haven't?
I was agreeing with you from a while back. I'll drop it now. 

EnochLight

07 Apr 2015

gak wrote:I was agreeing with you from a while back. I'll drop it now. 
Sorry, I understood that.  Just wondering if you also got a couple of auto "maintenance updates" that appeared over the last few months.  I think it was just some bug fixes.

Anywho, cheers!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jfrichards

07 Apr 2015

jfrichards wrote:There are a bunch of little improvements with 8, but none that warrant $129..
EnochLight wrote:
Well, now that $129 gets you
EnochLight wrote:8.2
EnochLight wrote:, I would say that the cost is much more warranted than before IMHO.  
I was letting Barbara know that if she doesn't really want the extra colors, drag and drop, Softube Amp, or Discover, then the other 20 smaller improvements are probably not worth $129 for her and to wait for a couple more.

If I was doing traditional music on r7, I would probably get Trident, Miroslav, and Radical Pianos before r8, or even get Logic X (for the Bosendorfer, the Sculpture synth, and the 1000 ethnic and traditional instruments) and bounce those tracks into Reason.  I way prefer working in Reason, but Logic has some super sounds.

gak

07 Apr 2015

gak wrote:I was agreeing with you from a while back. I'll drop it now. 
EnochLight wrote:
Sorry, I understood that.  Just wondering if you also got a couple of auto "maintenance updates" that appeared over the last few months.  I think it was just some bug fixes.

Anywho, cheers!
I was just saying that those 10 things fixed in studio one are paltry compared to the vast updates (though one was paid) reason has had in the same time period roughly.

:s0826:

ClassickHitz

07 Apr 2015

ClassickHitz wrote:I'm sorry but I just don't agree at all. Nothing about this being a point release suggest in any way that more point releases are coming any faster than in the past. 
EnochLight wrote:
And yet, we've seen
EnochLight wrote: 5 different Reason updates
EnochLight wrote: over the course of the past year:

Reason 7.1 - released 4/2014
Reason 7.1.1 - released 5/2014
Reason 8 - released 9/2014
Reason 8.1 - released 12/2014
Reason 8.2 - released 4/2015

I've said this before and I'll say it again - on top of everything else (read: RE's, the RE SDK, IDT, their
EnochLight wrote:limited mobile apps
EnochLight wrote:) we've seen more Reason updates occur than any other time in their history.  I mean seriously man -
EnochLight wrote:this is FIVE UPDATES IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS!
EnochLight wrote:
I'm not sure why this is so difficult to grasp for some.   :s0959:
ClassickHitz wrote: I think the only DAW that needs to catch up on it's wow factor is Reason. Admittedly I'm patiently waiting but currently still not impressed. I'll stick with version 7.1 for now with no regrets. 
EnochLight wrote:
Reason has always been playing "catch up", and it's only become more pronounced since it officially became a DAW once Record & 6.0 dropped.  You act as if Logic gained the features that it currently has overnight.  And it's free?  Wow - that's novel!  Oh wait, no it's not - every update I listed above has been free with the exception of 8.   :?

But that's cool, stay on 7.1 if it fits your needs and gets you to where you need to be.  7.1 truly was a fantastic version of Reason, and you can do SDK 2.0 RE's with it and stuff so... there's that.  That browser though... ugh.. how do even manage?
Faster is relative. Your idea of fast is not going to be exactly as mine.

These so called updates are more like bug fixes IMO and are still not worth $129 coming from 7.1

Sorry I can't get excited about improvements that should have been on point initially with the perceived rushed release of 8.0, especially with the little bit that was being offered. SMH

I mean really, going ga ga for more colors and auto updates kinda borders on pathetic from where I'm standing

And Logic Pro 10.1 is indeed a free upgrade for those existing Logic 10 users.

Right now I'm more than fine with 7 and Logic but that isnt to say that if more features are added in the future I won't pull the trigger. I'm just not drinking the Kool-aid now. It's good to see it tastes good for others though

lowpryo

07 Apr 2015

ClassickHitz wrote:Faster is relative. Your idea of fast is not going to be exactly as mine.

These so called updates are more like bug fixes IMO and are still not worth $129 coming from 7.1

Sorry I can't get excited about improvements that should have been on point initially with the perceived rushed release of 8.0, especially with the little bit that was being offered. SMH

I mean really, going ga ga for more colors and auto updates kinda borders on pathetic from where I'm standing

Right now I'm more than fine with 7 and Logic but that isnt to say that if more features are added in the future I won't pull the trigger. I'm just not drinking the Kool-aid now. It's good to see it tastes good for others though

it's really rude to say that others are "going ga ga" or bordering "pathetic" because they appreciate the update.

the value of the update is relative. I can see why you think $130 is too expensive for a new coat of paint and some minor improvements. I was also disappointed when it was first announced. but now that I've adapted to it, those changes are HUGE improvements to my experience. like literally, the new changes have saved me a LOT of time and a LOT of headaches in terms of how my projects are organized. and those improvements are valuable to me. it's not blind praise or Kool-aid drinking when there's measurable evidence to support it.
but everyone works differently, so the value is different for everyone. so if you don't see $130 worth of value in these changes, don't buy it. but you don't have to be rude about it.

trimph1

07 Apr 2015

Maybe someone would like my upgrade bill for the steel roof on my house?

I can see how some would think the4 cost a little much but it has been awhile for it...it just comes down to priorities. If it works fine for you now then great. One does not need to begrudge another for the choice to upgrade...
....and a whack of hardware synths and who knows what...

ClassickHitz

07 Apr 2015

lowprio wrote:
ClassickHitz wrote:Faster is relative. Your idea of fast is not going to be exactly as mine.

lowprio wrote:  
it's really rude to say that others are "going ga ga" or bordering "pathetic" because they appreciate the update.

the value of the update is relative. I can see why you think $130 is too expensive for a new coat of paint and some minor improvements. I was also disappointed when it was first announced. but now that I've adapted to it, those changes are HUGE improvements to my experience. like literally, the new changes have saved me a LOT of time and a LOT of headaches in terms of how my projects are organized. and those improvements are valuable to me. it's not blind praise or Kool-aid drinking when there's measurable evidence to support it.
but everyone works differently, so the value is different for everyone. so if you don't see $130 worth of value in these changes, don't buy it. but you don't have to be rude about it.
Whoa whoa there,  my apologies if you somehow took personal offense to something that wasn't even directed at you personally. If fact I didn't personally say anyone in particular was going ga ga if you go back and see exactly what I typed. It was more tongue in cheek to indicate that I myself am not going ga ga...

In any case, to label something under the rude banner seems a bit mountain out of a mole hill to me. Thicker skin!

jfrichards

07 Apr 2015

ClassickHitz wrote:...

Whoa whoa there,  my apologies if you somehow took personal offense to something that wasn't even directed at you personally. If fact I didn't personally say anyone in particular was going ga ga if you go back and see exactly what I typed. It was more tongue in cheek to indicate that I myself am not going ga ga...

In any case, to label something under the rude banner seems a bit mountain out of a mole hill to me. Thicker skin!
Nice apology, now you're calling him stupid and over-sensitive.  Do you have any respect for anyone who has legitimate reasons for liking R8?

gak

07 Apr 2015

Uh oh, teh forums is broken.

Come on everyone, let's have a beer!

lowpryo

08 Apr 2015

ClassickHitz wrote: Whoa whoa there,  my apologies if you somehow took personal offense to something that wasn't even directed at you personally. If fact I didn't personally say anyone in particular was going ga ga if you go back and see exactly what I typed. It was more tongue in cheek to indicate that I myself am not going ga ga...

your tone in that post was just very condescending. and even more so in this reply here. i wasn't offended, I'm just trying to keep the peace.

gak

08 Apr 2015

Seriously, this was a really good update and proves they are alive and kicking. You're not going to get everything you want. Sorry to sound like a fanboi, I know everyone who likes something is one, but 8.2=party time to me (shrug) 

trimph1

08 Apr 2015

Anyone for some Chocolate Chunk Cookies? Got a whole batch here....

Pro Tools charges upgrade pricing on upgrades...

----------------------------------------------------------

Like I said before, no need to begrudge one for spending $129 when all is said and done.

ClassickHitz

08 Apr 2015

gak wrote:Image

Seriously, this was a really good update and proves they are alive and kicking. You're not going to get everything you want. Sorry to sound like a fanboi, I know everyone who likes something is one, but 8.2=party time to me (shrug) 
No fanboy label needed, you like what you like. And it's all good.

ClassickHitz

08 Apr 2015

ClassickHitz wrote:...

jfrichards wrote:
Nice apology, now you're calling him stupid and over-sensitive.  Do you have any respect for anyone who has legitimate reasons for liking R8?
I never called anyone stupid. I never stated a person shouldn't upgrade. Again, just because I'm not excited about 8.2 doesn't mean I'm mad at those who are. Just like I shouldn't be made to feel as if I should agree with those that do like it as well.

This has turned from my opinion being expressed to an instigation of hostility based on assumptive reading between the lines.

Not cool to say a person said something they didn't - creating an atmosphere of negativity against them.

tiker01

08 Apr 2015

Yes, sometimes it is hard to express/understand things in a written form. And it is easy to get aggrieved even it wasn`t no ones intention to be rude. A missing or bad emoticon et....

So p
lease STOP before this will turn into old PUF style nonsense conversation and  :s0801:

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

ebop

08 Apr 2015

But this is what you said classichitz

"I mean really, going ga ga for more colors and auto updates kinda borders on pathetic from where I'm standing"

It's a little bit condescending to be fair.

Exowildebeest

08 Apr 2015

Please use more smileys, that really helps avoid unfortunate altercations.

Kill all kittens :P   :s0221:

See, that doesn't seem horrible at all with the smileys!

ClassickHitz

08 Apr 2015

Wasn't meant at a person but at Props attempt to pass it off as something big

trimph1

08 Apr 2015

lowprio wrote:

lowprio wrote:  

ClassickHitz wrote:

I think that is where the confusion starts...the overall approach to the issue of colour improvements, for me, one who ha visual issues loves the idea of more colour customization opportunities.

So, to me, 'going ga ga' kind of grates...

FL...has free upgrades ( some refer to the upgrades as bug fixes there too) as well.

ebop

08 Apr 2015

The way I see it.

Anti-R8ers shouldn't insinuate Pro-R8ers are pathetic.

And Pro-R8ers shouldn't call anti-R8ers miserable humourless count.

With those ground rules in place, how can we go wrong :)

trimph1

08 Apr 2015

ebop wrote:The way I see it. Anti-R8ers shouldn't insinuate Pro-R8ers are pathetic. And Pro-R8ers shouldn't call anti-R8ers miserable humourless count. With those ground rules in place, how can we go wrong :)
+100000900000000050040405000 :) :)

PSoames

08 Apr 2015

Last Alternative wrote:Does anyone think we're moving toward an online only & monthly pay membership? I love this 8.2 update but things are starting to feel strange.
selig wrote:
I've not seen or heard anything that would suggest that is happening. This move answers those who had suggested a quicker/better way to update without such large downloads, which also those who complained about the clunky installation process (another common request IIRC). 

I believe it may also make beta testing more straightforward, and other things related to maintaining and updating a growing code base, but don't quote me on that. 

It
selig wrote:should
selig wrote: also make it easier to issue more intermediate updates rather than waiting for a bigger update.

But in all of that I see no indication, nor reason for this to imply a different payment model. I confess I don't know what "online only" means - they've stopped delivering Reason on physical media years ago, and it's essentially been online only since then - or am I not understanding the phrase correctly?
:)
The one thing that I can see that will force this issue is software licensing law.

Many people in past posts have pointed to recent case law in consumer ownership of software licenses and the right to resell; if ever a time came that these laws were enforced, I would expect to see a rapid shift to a subscription service.

I do think that the auto-update feature facilitates a potential future move, should PH deem it necessary.

• Information