What does your effects chain look like?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
challism

02 Apr 2015

I tend to follow the standard chain shown in the picture, of course it isn't written in stone and can be changed around according to needs of the track.  But it usually follows this basic model:
Instrument/Audio>Autotune/tuner>Wah/Filter>Compressor>Distortion/Shaper>EQ>Modulation>Delay>Reverb>Amp Sim>Mixer

What does your effects chain look like?

Attachments
Pedal-Board-Diagram1.png
Pedal-Board-Diagram1.png (180.24 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

syncanonymous

02 Apr 2015

the beauty of Reason is u can make yer signal chain however u like. Creativity is where its at. In one of my tracks I have 8 or 9 delays chained. As a guitar player as my main instrument, I prefer less than I used to. my latest work is just one The Echo thru Vermillion. Also, I prefer ZERO compression and only amp EQ. I will usually handle EQ on channel strip in mix if any.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

PSoames

02 Apr 2015

Mostly the same as the above with the exception of the EQ which I generally, but not exclusively, place before the distortion.

Within Reason, I am also likely split the chain and run parallel into a mixer and just to get super devious use some devices, amp models included, as send effects.

Then when I'm happy with the tone and the guitar is singing like an angel, I'll EQ it beyond recognition within the SSL in order to shoe-horn it into the mix.

Square pegs can fit in round holes with the right tool, brute force and scant regard for the base material. ;)

jfrichards

02 Apr 2015

syncanonymous wrote:the beauty of Reason is u can make yer signal chain however u like...
Amen to that.  My latest guitar piece has my Les Paul going in to the Creme distortion B (a tube screamer), then the Creme Heavy amp with 30% gating and Lead I harmonic boost, then a 4x12 US metal cab parallel with a 4x12 US modern cab, with dynamic mics placed up against the speakers, then those mics merge and split into two parallel wah pedals, one set on bass spike and the other set on mid spike (in the real world, you'd have to tape a piece of wood across the two adjustable wahs for this effect), then the signal is split into two channels and an RV7000 is added for a plate reverb to the second channel.  The tube/optical compression is an RE-2A on the master buss.  Reason is amazing for guitar these days.

syncanonymous

03 Apr 2015

indeed! tracking directly into Reason is a boon. Not 2 months ago I was triggering rexs of my played in various guitars via nnxt...using several softwares. Nowadays itsa game changer fo sho...back in the day...2004..I was anti-audio in RSN....I have drastically reframed, its great!
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD

eusti

03 Apr 2015

Interesting track, syncanonymous! Reminds me of later period original line-up Danse Society...

D.

syncanonymous

03 Apr 2015

oh my, which track? I haven't checked the target for where the reasontalk embedded SC link goes to...thanks for listening, man:-)

syncanonymous

03 Apr 2015

oh right, that's an old 4trk recording: band live on 2trks...2trks for vox...1994 production...there is a lot on my SC...mostly old live recordings....recent Reason stuff is EFCMC trx:-)

challism

03 Apr 2015

The new shift+drag feature is a great way to rearrange your effects chain.  For those who don't have Reason 8 yet, you can use the RE Battle Axe to easily rearrange your chain.
I agree a great thing about Reason is the freedom to route anything the way you want, and it is only limited by your imagination and your CPU.  It's so much fun!!  But some rules of thumb seem to hold true as far as setting up a chain in a certain order.  Anyway, it's always fun to experiment with different combinations (and combinators). 
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information