Delaying a CV signal

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
challism

31 Mar 2015

Is there any way to take a CV signal (from an LFO, for instance) and split it into two signals (with spider CV splitter) and then delay one of the signal lines?  I want to run the same signal to two different destinations, but I want one of the signals to be delayed. 

Can this be done with any stock Reason device?  How about any REs?

Thanks in advance!!

EDIT: SOLUTION COMBI ATTACHED BELOW
Attachments
CV_DELAY-SUBTRACTOR.zip
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Benedict
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2015

I am very confident you can do this with Thor: CV In, send CV>Filter 3, set Delay, Route Audio 1 to Audio In, send Audio 1>CV Output then wire to second device.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

InavigableHeart

31 Mar 2015

Not sure about stock devices but I use JP's Lolth RE to do exactly as you describe. The delay can be in tempo sync too, which is lovely. :)

challism

31 Mar 2015

Didn't think about Thor.... yes that is obvious now.... just have to program it.  I will try it now.  Thanks, Benedict.
Also thanks InavigableHeart.  I don't have Lolth (and have banned myself from buying new REs for at least 3 months), so I will try Thor first.  Hope it works, but nice to have a backup plan.... even if it is 3 months down the road.  :)

EDIT:  YUP!  WORKS LIKE A CHARM!  Thanks again Benedict.  I will attach the combi patch for anyone who might want it (replacing the Ammo with Subtractor for those who don't have Ammo).

Attachments
CV_DELAY-SUBTRACTOR.zip
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

challism

31 Mar 2015

After taking a closer look, I noticed the delay's CV peaks and valleys are not hitting as hard (high and low) as the original.  I wonder why it's doing that.  Something to do with my delay settings, perhaps?  Changing the settings doesn't seem to help, though.  What do you guys think?

Attachments
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (150.97 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

frog974new

31 Mar 2015

may be
when convert Audio to CV with 0 db output level , it take only 88% initial Amplitude audio to cc CV
any change with output db level around 7 db
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (124.68 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

selig
RE Developer

31 Mar 2015

frog974new wrote:may be
when convert Audio to CV with 0 db output level , it take only 88% initial Amplitude audio to cc CV
The conversion process works perfectly, it's the "wet" delay that's half the level of the "dry". This is odd because with audio it measures perfectly the same… but I can't figure out why this is happening.

Moving on, the solution is to raise Thor's main output to the max position, which doubles the output (raises it 6 dB). 

[BTW, if you use Pulsar, you've already got the CV to audio covered!]
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

31 Mar 2015

Gotcha.  So I raised the volume level of Thor, and that did the trick.  Thanks for the help.  :)

I would love to have Pulsar because so many presets use it (and I'm an RE junkie), but I did not upgrade my license back when Pulsar was free and now I really don't want to pay for it.  Besides, I have Ammo100 and think that is a much better LFO in many ways.  But anyway...

electrofux

31 Mar 2015

When i was trying to add Swing to Thors Sequencer by delaying notes i used nearly every delay inducing device there is but Lolth/Miranda simply were the best for this.

-the yellow one (forgot the name) wasnt fine enough
-chronologist Later was producing weird sounds when adjusting the delay
-Thor was not that bad but for the swing it just wasnt working that good.
-Miranda/Lolth are very smooth.

frog974new

31 Mar 2015

frog974new wrote:may be
selig wrote:
The conversion process works perfectly, it's the "wet" delay that's half the level of the "dry". This is odd because with audio it measures perfectly the same… but I can't figure out why this is happening.

Moving on, the solution is to raise Thor's main output to the max position, which doubles the output (raises it 6 dB). 

[BTW, if you use Pulsar, you've already got the CV to audio covered!]
right ^^
i miss to see the signal is only 50% with left audio :s0959:

challism

31 Mar 2015

What do you guys think about the idea of running the audio out (of the CV signal) through an external dealy (DDL1, Echo, Steerpike, whatever) and then re-routing that audio signal back into the Thor's audio in of this chain.  Thus using Thor to convert the "audio" line back into a CV out.
Gonna try that now and see what happens.  I love messing around with this sort of stuff.  One reason I love Reason.

EDIT:  OK, that got messy fast!

selig
RE Developer

31 Mar 2015

OK, I figured out what's going on here, and it's similar to the DDL-1 mono issue. The delay in Thor is also a mono device and normally applies -6 dB gain to compensate for the internal summing which adds 6 dB. BUT, if you only feed one channel into the delay, the output will still be compensated by lowering it 6 dB.

The way to fix it is to send any external signal (audio OR CV) to BOTH inputs of Filter 3, and then leave the Master Volume at it's default setting of 0 dB. 

Selig Audio, LLC

• Information