R8 users: what's your opinion of the browser now?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jfrichards

30 Mar 2015

Hey fellow R8 users.  After 5 months of continual use of R8, I am finding that the browser methods are very good.  Not the "best thing since Reason itself" of course, but a step up from R7.  Instead of doing the Cancel Browse thing in 7, I have learned a nice new set of methods for browsing patches.  First is visual.  I use the open browser to find and try patches a lot more than with R7, which was severely limited by scrolling through a list then either accepting or canceling the patch.  Now I jump around based on what i know about particular patches or patch groups and how I have arranged them.  I also have learned to add any patches I like during the browse phase to the favorites list on the far left.  I have also learned to use the recent patches folder, and the back arrow to get back to one or two or three previous patch locations quickly.

I occasionally use the F3 button to close the browser for more non-browser real estate, and I change the size of the browser a lot for particular phases of the song-creation process.

I also open folders on my desktop that contain samples, for example, I put lots of Apple Logic/Garageband caf files in a folder and open it next to Reason so I can drag and drop them right into the sequencer or Kong.

I find I do a lot of dragging of rex files from the browser straight into audio tracks now, which is great for fast editing of the newly-created wav file (length, key, slice editing, etc).

I still use the right-click menus for things that can also be done in the browser.  It's very convenient to use both methods.

It took me two months to get past the thing where dragging patches into the rack can have the unexpected result of either changing the whole device or adding another instance of the device instead of simple replacing the patch.  But now I even use that process to create new device/patch tracks, very cool for fast song design.

I like creating monster combinators with the drag and drop of devices and patches.  (I still have to remember to create the 6:2 mixer before dropping into the combinator.)

All in all my assessment of the new browser is that it is indeed a serious upgrade for me.

Any other R8 users finding this too?

edit: I forgot to add that I use samples way more now and have started setting up more logical folders for them to speed up the sample drag and drop process.  This is starting to increase my use of Kong too.

PSoames

30 Mar 2015

I would say my experiences with V8.1 are very similar to yours John.

Greater use of samples, refills; starting to use Kong more, but would also add, that swapping whole combinators or devices in a chain is so much easier.

When this version was announced I was very indifferent; it was trialling the Softtube Amps that made me do a V8 trial. I thought the issue of cancelling patches from the browser was going to be a major issue for me. It wasn't - at all.

I wouldn't say the transition was totally smooth; some fairly choice language was in evidence during the early days, but within weeks I was very comfortable with how everything just sort of came together.

At Vero Eos

30 Mar 2015

I can join the first two posts. The upgrade seemed a bit tiny in the beginning ("only a new browser..?"). But it really optimized my workflow and gave me the opportunity to work more intuitively with Reason. Don't want to miss the new browser anymore.

Benedict
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2015

Me three (or is that four)

Was definitely different at first but now I find that I am using presets and bouncing around them far easier than before. A few times I feel the Browser opens to often - but I don't like it wasting space - F3 and it is gone.

I also like being able to adjust notes from front as well as rear. Only downside is a have to learn not to unintentionally double click things in and out of existence.

Discover for me is a bit pointless - at least till it shares the whole Reason file. I took a quick look at the new ProTools online collab thing and that seemed more interesting for being able to request players for particular roles. 

I never got the outcry as I think the R8 update is worthy. Sure for 8.5 or 9 I would like some more exciting things like synths etc (not so much iPad, hipster sharing whilst catching the train with my skateboard stuff). 

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

gak

31 Mar 2015

From a "new" users perspective, I don't know if I would have been as happy with the older version. To me it's logical and necessary. Is that the only thing they updated from 7 to 8? 

jfrichards

31 Mar 2015

nooomy wrote:But is it worth 130 €$?
For guitarists it's an obvious yes.  Softube Amp, once you learn about it and use the extensive combinators in the Rack Extension folder, is a serious beast.  I love the Kuassas without reservation, and Softube Amp is a great expansion of professional guitar tones.  Without the guitar amp, r8 has a lot to offer, especially drag and drop (wonderful!), but r7 is still world class by itself.

raymondh

01 Apr 2015

I've been switching between Reason 7.1 (for collabs) and Reason 8 (solo stuff).

Heavy sigh each time I have to go back to Reason 7.1 !
I was happy with the R7 browser _until_ I upgraded to 8. 

A couple of R8 things still annoy me, but I'll be super happy the day I don't have to open R7 again. :)

syncanonymous

01 Apr 2015

I went from RSN4 to 8.1 a couple weeks back, so there is ssssoooooooo much other new stuff for me to discover beyond getting too deep into the browser. The drag and drop is really nice, very fast once u get the hang of it. For me, I am doing more with one screen than I used to, which I am starting to like. My normal setup is Using two screens, mixer always on one screen with the other screen with Rack/Seq/Browser and dbl-clking the fat grey bars to switch between the 3 views does work really well. That browser does open too often...I just want to leave it undocked on my less used screen... but I suppose it's changing workflow for the better. I am loving Kong, I 've probably spent most of my learning curve on that. Now I don't have many NN-XTs in my racks. 

I haven't gotten too into the SoftTube amp too much; I worked with it for a while but then went looking and found Kuassa Vermillion which is just awesome afaiac. I will try to get tweaky with the SoftTube as well. Funny, I was tracking gtrs the other day and just couldn't get the sound I wanted...not the sound of guitar per se, the quality of connection. I got my old Byrdland out & all was well- clean and full! :-)
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

clone

01 Apr 2015

I just upgraded last weekend, still getting used to it, But I love it. 

Picking up on it really fast, drag in drop is great! I only paid 109, my mother in law gave me a guitar center gift card, two xmas's ago!

I like the change in the browser, adapting very well, like the look and all. 

Looks like it was made for my iMac. lol

EnochLight

01 Apr 2015

I was sold on the new features very quickly after it came out.  After working in 8 for a few weeks, I tried to go back to 7 and started to pull my hair out.  So yeah, I think the "new" browser rocks.  It's a step in the right direction, and drag and drop is awesome.  It made 7 feel like a browser from 1998.  
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

challism

01 Apr 2015

I love the new browser, drag and drop feature, and the Softube Amps, too.  I can't think of any other legitimate changes in v8.  I certainly don't like the new transport at all.  It seems like they took a big step backwards with transport changes (I am still getting used to it, and I upgraded to v8 the first month of its release). I don't know why the hell they made some of the buttons so tiny (like the tap button, for instance).  All in all, I am happy with version 8.  I am curious what version 9 will bring.  I hope they blow all of our minds.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

syncanonymous

02 Apr 2015

I agree about the massive transport band with text floating in space; I do still prefer the transport on old school RSN. I prefer boxes around my text. Also, the green/yellow text on black for timecode is something I love. Apologies for chiming in on the digression ;-)
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

jfrichards

02 Apr 2015

Kinda funny that just when we've adjusted to not having a Cancel Browse button, 8.2 comes out with it.  Cool.  Just used it to go through a bunch of RV7000 patches and didn't find one better than the one I saved earlier.  Hit Revert and blam, there it was.

tiker01

02 Apr 2015

jfrichards wrote:Kinda funny that just when we've adjusted to not having a Cancel Browse button, 8.2 comes out with it.  Cool.  Just used it to go through a bunch of RV7000 patches and didn't find one better than the one I saved earlier.  Hit Revert and blam, there it was.
Actually I think it is be able to "revert" into the state of the device when you have started browsing even if it is not a saved patch or it is an altered patch.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Majestik Monkey

02 Apr 2015

I have never really had a problem with the browser ! But to update it , without a Sync to Host is ODD?  :s0959:

jfrichards

02 Apr 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote:...to update it , without a Sync to Host is ODD?  :s0959:
What is Sync to Host?

Majestik Monkey

02 Apr 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote:...to update it , without a Sync to Host is ODD?  :s0959:
jfrichards wrote: What is Sync to Host?

Hi Jfr ... 
what i mean is if you are using samples / Loop , Musical or percussive , they should Sync to your Tempo host . . . i don't think there is a Daw out there, that does not have this function! except us ?  :bawl:

Data_Shrine

02 Apr 2015

The softube AMPS have a serious limitation due to R itself : you can't use them while in Rewire mode and record guitar with them. Soundflower works but it's still annoying to have to use such a work around.

Browser is okay for me (I only use one screen)

jfrichards

02 Apr 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote:...if you are using samples / Loop , Musical or percussive , they should Sync to your Tempo host . . . i don't think there is a Daw out there, that does not have this function...
How do they do it?  Does the program auto-stretch the loop to bar markers?  Does it auto-detect downbeats and assign a bpm?  I usually drop into the sequencer and stretch to the bar end, or sometimes quantize, or even quantize/convert to rex loop.  Does it sync to host while previewing?  That would be really nice.

selig
RE Developer

02 Apr 2015

Now that R8.2 is out and the browser has "Revert", I'm 100% happy using it. Like others, there was a "learning curve" where I had to break old habits and endure a bit of slowdown during the process, but now I've made my peace and fully embraced the new workflow with open arms. No real browser complaints now, I'm a happy camper!
Selig Audio, LLC

arqui

02 Apr 2015

hi Giles. I have a question for you.
is in your plans to upgrade remark, in 16 colors? :)
Regards

Sorry I just read the answer in other post.
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

joeyluck

02 Apr 2015

How is the 'revert' option presented? Is it in the browser? Does it only appear or become active when you begin browsing?

How does it work? For instance, if I am using Thor, and I have a patch loaded, and then I browse to another patch and then another patch, where does it revert to? Just the last patch loaded?

Any screenshots?

Thanks!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

02 Apr 2015

selig wrote:Now that R8.2 is out and the browser has "Revert", I'm 100% happy using it. Like others, there was a "learning curve" where I had to break old habits and endure a bit of slowdown during the process, but now I've made my peace and fully embraced the new workflow with open arms. No real browser complaints now, I'm a happy camper!
Still can't browse patches with a single mouse-click, a only double-click (either direct double-click or single-click + Load) which 50% of time seems to open a new device when one forgets to make sure the browser is connected to the required device, so it's still utterly terrible to use if you have RSI. There are bits that are nice and I'm getting used to. But overall it feels clunky and hamfisted. So it's still only set up for keyboard use for browsing consecutive patch, not mouse use for browsing patches randomly/non-consecutively.

There seems to be an oddity with the search function too: if I search for a patch, only the search results will subsequently appear for that device - there's no way of clearing the search, so I have to go back to the main folder manually through the entire directory structure.

selig
RE Developer

02 Apr 2015

selig wrote:Now that R8.2 is out and the browser has "Revert", I'm 100% happy using it. Like others, there was a "learning curve" where I had to break old habits and endure a bit of slowdown during the process, but now I've made my peace and fully embraced the new workflow with open arms. No real browser complaints now, I'm a happy camper!
JiggeryPokery wrote:
Still can't browse patches with a single mouse-click, a only double-click (either direct double-click or single-click + Load) which 50% of time seems to open a new device when one forgets to make sure the browser is connected to the required device, so it's still utterly terrible to use if you have RSI. There are bits that are nice and I'm getting used to. But overall it feels clunky and hamfisted. So it's still only set up for keyboard use for browsing consecutive patch, not mouse use for browsing patches randomly/non-consecutively.

There seems to be an oddity with the search function too: if I search for a patch, only the search results will subsequently appear for that device - there's no way of clearing the search, so I have to go back to the main folder manually through the entire directory structure.
The mouse browsing issue is fine with me, as I tend to use the arrow keys when browsing a long list of patches, or better yet the patch browse buttons on my old Axiom 61 since that's where my hands typically are when auditioning patches. The mouse would be the slowest of the three possibilities for me even with single click browsing (and I understand why that's not doable). That's my opinion on the new browser, fwiw.

I've not done the "accidental device creation" for WEEKS now. Takes practice, but so does anything new as well as anything worthwhile IMO!

Selig Audio, LLC

• Information