Trance Drums

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Puckboy2000

29 Mar 2015

I know a few in here make trance music.
I am wondering if you guys (and/or girls) use 3rd party loops for the drums (hi hats, snare, shakers, etc.) or if you are using the Kong or Redrum and sequencing them to your track?

I make electronic/pop type music.  Like Depeche, but with more a trance/dark wave flavor, but I have always been week on drums.
I usually always start with making a four on the floor kick in red rum and add a high hat on the 2nd, 4th, etc. to get the standard trance beat.
After that, I usually lose steam (maybe after adding a clap or something).

If most people do use 3rd party loops, where do you get them?
I have downloaded some refills but found most of them to be a waste of money as there were not that many top loops, and most of the beats had some type of baseline in it (which is totally what i DON'T need).

Any suggestions and/or links to free tutorials would be most appreciated!

Thanks.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

avensa

29 Mar 2015

Hey! My forte would be Trance. Sometimes I use loops from Vengeance or Freshly Squeezed as they are or I manipulate them to my liking. I just think it's easier & quicker and you wouldn't get disheartened as quick when making them from scratch. I use Recycle & Dr. Octo rex simply because it's an instrument for processing of that nature. Making driving Trance drums tutorial is definitely on my list over the next week or two, so I'll let you you when it's up!  

Puckboy2000

29 Mar 2015

avensa wrote:Hey! My forte would be Trance. Sometimes I use loops from Vengeance or Freshly Squeezed as they are or I manipulate them to my liking. I just think it's easier & quicker and you wouldn't get disheartened as quick when making them from scratch. I use Recycle & Dr. Octo rex simply because it's an instrument for processing of that nature. Making driving Trance drums tutorial is definitely on my list over the next week or two, so I'll let you you when it's up!  

Thanks for the advice!
And I will be looking forward to your tutorial.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

Benedict
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2015

Hi

I just posted a link in another thread for you but this one answers the concern you have with hitting a wall: you don't have a reason or sense of story to your piece so it stalls. Also starting a piece with drums is a trap as you fill all the space and then can't fit any melodic purpose in. I know people all say they start with drums bass then the minor stuff but it is an untruth of sorts as they probably already have a sense of what scene they want to create so they leave space - even if they don't realize it. It comes with experience. Go back to basics and get the right structure and it will help amazingly.

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/2014/05/17 ... le-theory/

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Puckboy2000

29 Mar 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi

I just posted a link in another thread for you but this one answers the concern you have with hitting a wall: you don't have a reason or sense of story to your piece so it stalls. Also starting a piece with drums is a trap as you fill all the space and then can't fit any melodic purpose in. I know people all say they start with drums bass then the minor stuff but it is an untruth of sorts as they probably already have a sense of what scene they want to create so they leave space - even if they don't realize it. It comes with experience. Go back to basics and get the right structure and it will help amazingly.

Thanks1

frog974new

01 Apr 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi

like this part ^^
Every story has to have an arc or it is pointless. Think of the end of X-Files where it was all Smoking Man stuff; it killed the show as there was never going to be a resolution so the atmosphere got heavier and heavier till it all became un-enjoyable and the show died. There was only atmosphere, the episodes raised more questions (tension) than they answered (resolution). NCIS knows better and remains a fun show to watch. You know exactly what the characters are going to do and they do it. It’s a formula but the resolutions are fun. Love Boat was the same, the show was rot and we all knew it but the neat tension & resolution play made life feel that bit better for us. Your music should do that in some way.
often i said Music have No Rules but it'll be better with a good story .
in this way may be the sounds and tunes used on struture part are to tell a story .

• Information