CV Help for LFO panning

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
eox

28 Mar 2015

Hey guys, sorry if the title is a little confusing as I couldn't exactly think of the words to describe what I'm wanting to achieve here. 

Okay, so right now I am building a delay patch that has a whole lot going on and I'm attempting to use MOD A from Malstrom to control the pan rate of the delay via line mixer. Now, I know how to do all of this so far however, my next question is, how can I adjust the cv values to make it hold for maybe 20ms? In other words, I have a sine wave as the LFO modulating the pan with a rate of 4/4 but the feel of the constant rotation is close but not exactly what I'm aiming after. I would love to see it hold at panned Left for a few milliseconds and vice versa for the Right side. I thought maybe there was a way to edit cv values to do a "hold" or "freeze" for a certain amount of time then return to speed. Not sure if this makes a whole lot of sense as I'm trying my best to find the words to describe what I'm trying to achieve.

As always, I appreciate you guys helping me and my weird creative goals. I would still be trying to learn how to make Reason make sounds (took me a month to figure out how to get any sound out of reason when I first started and gave up for 2 weeks :P ) if it wasn't for you all!

Thanks for reading if you got this far! :D

JoshuaPhilgarlic

28 Mar 2015

I've no idea how an LFO should be freezed for a moment. But you could try to clip the top and bottom end of the waveform. I made it with ReVolt using its Min/Max Limits knobs...

Attachments
Bildschirmfoto_2015-03-29_um_00.33.10.png
Bildschirmfoto_2015-03-29_um_00.33.10.png (263.75 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

selig
RE Developer

28 Mar 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:I've no idea how an LFO should be freezed for a moment. But you could try to clip the top and bottom end of the waveform. I made it with ReVolt using its Min/Max Limits knobs...

Hey, clipping is exactly what I was going to suggest, and using ReVolt is a perfect way to achieve this - good call on ReVolt!

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2015

Hi

This is a tricky one and while you could play with CV quantization like the one on Quadelectrica's CV Line RE but I think you won't like that. The LFO has moved on in the time you 'hold' it so you will get a leap to the current value. Adding smoothing or lag may help but it starts to get pretty messy.

I would use either CV Mutant as it is designed for just this sort of thing. as you can make complex custom Envelope/LFO shapes. Here you would draw out the shape you want and it becomes your LFO.

The other way is to simply dray as Automation and copy, copy copy.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

JoshuaPhilgarlic

28 Mar 2015

Benedict wrote:I would use either CV Mutant as it is designed for just this sort of thing. as you can make complex custom Envelope/LFO shapes. Here you would draw out the shape you want and it becomes your LFO.

The other way is to simply dray as Automation and copy, copy copy.

Don't forget TableOscillator! With it's Width parameter it's a breeze to let the LFO pause for a moment when it reaches it's top and bottom end.

Attachments
Bildschirmfoto_2015-03-29_um_00.50.12.png
Bildschirmfoto_2015-03-29_um_00.50.12.png (202.76 KiB) Viewed 991 times

eox

28 Mar 2015

Oh wow well thank you all for the quick response! I have all of the mentioned RE's except for TableOscillator. Benedict, I actually sort of made my way around with the cv suite processor mixed with Revolt.

Does my "creative" effect even make sense to you guys? LOL

JoshuaPhilgarlic

28 Mar 2015

Absolutely! What should be wrong with auto-panning ;) ?

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2015

Funny I didn't think about clipping the CV as that is exactly the simplest way. Doh!

That is a useful feature in Table OSC. I looked at it first version but was a pig to program. New version looks far easier. I have and use Additive OSC - but oddly never as an LFO.

Would be interested in hearing the final effect.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

eox

29 Mar 2015

Also, I didn't want to start a new pointless thread (lol) but I remember a few weeks back or maybe a month ago someone here had posted a video of showing how to record automation data into the sequencer so it can be applied to different parameters without having to draw them in. Just like the JB toolbox tutorial. However, I can't figure out how to record my own data so I can get a perfect sine wave to control a rotary knob. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? LOL.

I know there are ways around this, but A. I would love to remember how to make this work! B. I have a complex patch setup with the perfect parameters all programmed neatly that are affected by 1 rotary knob.

--Selig, thank you for "Gain"!!! I am using it on this patch that I'm talking about right now and the Mono function is AWESOME! Essentially I have the pan parameters tuned in perfectly assigned to my Rotary knob 1 and filter freq/resonance assigned to the same rotary. And I have everything finally tuned out but this little automation tip would save me quite a bit of time. 

I am recreating this synth sound from one of my ALL time favorite songs ever!

---If you haven't listened to this song, I HIGHLY recommend it. There's only a hand full of songs that have ever completely moved me and this one takes the cake. For those that check out this M83 song for the first time...Oh man... you're in for a treat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDoEqBas4Y0

selig
RE Developer

29 Mar 2015

Benedict wrote:Funny I didn't think about clipping the CV as that is exactly the simplest way. Doh!

Somewhere a long time ago I read an article about CV clipping. I had done it inadvertently, when for example you take an envelope and apply it to a filter, and the filter opens all the way up and then just "hangs" there for a second before it closes back down. I realized it was like having a "hold" function on the env, and applied it to future patches. Then I read the article and at first assumed "clipping" was bad - then realized the creative possibilities! However, it took JoshuaPhilgarlic's comment to trigger this memory, being 40 years or more ago!

In fact, I even designed an LFO years ago that used clipping to turn a sine into a square. There were three controls: skew (triangle to saw), curve, and clip. Each was a continuous control, and all common (and many uncommon) waveforms could easily be created from just these three controls. The design goal of this LFO was to be able to smoothly morph from any one wave shape into any other. But clipping was a big part of it, and that's the point here - something that is to be avoided in one 'world' may have many applications in another!   :)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

29 Mar 2015

eox wrote:Also, I didn't want to start a new pointless thread (lol) but I remember a few weeks back or maybe a month ago someone here had posted a video of showing how to record automation data into the sequencer so it can be applied to different parameters without having to draw them in. Just like the JB toolbox tutorial. However, I can't figure out how to record my own data so I can get a perfect sine wave to control a rotary knob. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? LOL.

I know there are ways around this, but A. I would love to remember how to make this work! B. I have a complex patch setup with the perfect parameters all programmed neatly that are affected by 1 rotary knob.

--Selig, thank you for "Gain"!!! I am using it on this patch that I'm talking about right now and the Mono function is AWESOME! Essentially I have the pan parameters tuned in perfectly assigned to my Rotary knob 1 and filter freq/resonance assigned to the same rotary. And I have everything finally tuned out but this little automation tip would save me quite a bit of time. 

---If you haven't listened to this song, I HIGHLY recommend it. There's only a hand full of songs that have ever completely moved me and this one takes the cake. For those that check out this M83 song for the first time...Oh man... you're in for a treat!

I'm guessing the technique you mention is using the EMI and a MIDI loop-back to record CV as automation. This would come in handy if you wanted to use an LFO on the SSL EQ. But otherwise, I'd just control the rotary directly via CV or inside a Combinator. 

Selig Audio, LLC

eox

29 Mar 2015

eox wrote:Also, I didn't want to start a new pointless thread (lol) but I remember a few weeks back or maybe a month ago someone here had posted a video of showing how to record automation data into the sequencer so it can be applied to different parameters without having to draw them in. Just like the JB toolbox tutorial. However, I can't figure out how to record my own data so I can get a perfect sine wave to control a rotary knob. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? LOL.

selig wrote:
I'm guessing the technique you mention is using the EMI and a MIDI loop-back to record CV as automation. This would come in handy if you wanted to use an LFO on the SSL EQ. But otherwise, I'd just control the rotary directly via CV or inside a Combinator. 

Wasn't there a video someone posted of using a sine wave LFO automating a channel to capture it's automation data as a sine wave in the automated track in the sequencer? Or is that the EMI - Midi loop-back trick you're talking about?

• Information