Stems?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
onedogdan

28 Mar 2015

Not sure if that's the right term, but... I would like to move some audio and MIDI info from some current tracks into earlier versions of the same tracks that I recovered from Time Machine.  Hope that makes sense.  Any ideas how to do this easily?  Thanks!

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2015

Hi

Stems is the right term for the audio tracks. To get them File/Bounce To and click the boxes for what you want (will be different wave files).

MIDI you would be best exporting as a MIDI File and then importing to the other project. They will open as ID8s and you assign relevant instruments (don't forget to clean up after).

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

onedogdan

28 Mar 2015

Wonderful, thanks!

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2015

Happy to help

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Gaja

29 Mar 2015

Either that, or just select the tracks you want to copy in the sequencer, right click, select copy devices and tracks, go to your other session and paste.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

onedogdan

29 Mar 2015

I thought I tried that and it didn't work, but I'll try again.  Thanks all!

tyerac

30 Mar 2015

onedogdan wrote:I thought I tried that and it didn't work, but I'll try again.  Thanks all!
 It does work :-)  I use this method all the time. Be sure that your system can handle it, and don't close down the From project files, before you have successfully pasted into the To project (If that makes sense?)

I'm keeping it ALL in Reason.... Within Reason.

Marco Raaphorst

31 Mar 2015

The impression I get is that it's a container of 4 stereo tracks. Which is kinda cool for stuff I am doing. For example when I want to send my documentary soundmix to a video-editor but making channels for:
1. full music mix
2. sound effects
3. set noises
4 spoken words / dialog

If Apple starts adding support for this in Final Cut X and Adobe in Premiere this will be killer for many people in my opinion.

selig
RE Developer

31 Mar 2015

It's totally surprising something like this has not been proposed before now. OMF fell short of achieving widespread support for audio files. Could one use a multi-channel (5.1, 7.1) audio format to deliver stems?

It would be nice if there was an option to include MIDI and automation data, something also missing from the OMF audio spec. More than 4 stereo channels could also be handy - maybe two versions would be required?

Still, difficult to believe there is not multitrack audio standard for file exchange (that I'm aware of…).
Selig Audio, LLC

ScuzzyEye

31 Mar 2015

selig wrote:Could one use a multi-channel (5.1, 7.1) audio format to deliver stems?
Unpacking something like Dolby TrueHD, or DTS HD Master Audio would be tricky (and heavily license encumbered). But multi-channel PCM is easy, and standard. Though being inside a wave file does limit the total length to 2 GB. Not a big problem with two-channel files, but with 8 channels, 192 kHz, 32-bit floating point, it adds up quickly. You'd only get about 700 seconds of audio. That's just over 11 and a half minutes. Enough for most songs, but a little tight to be comfortable. That's also why you'll find most surround encoders take multiple stereo wave files (Front L/R, Center/LFE, Surround L/R, and Rear L/R) as input.

Newer containers like Ogg (with a FLAC or Vorbis payload) wouldn't have this problem, and allow even more total channels.

Gaja

01 Apr 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote: The impression I get is that it's a container of 4 stereo tracks. Which is kinda cool for stuff I am doing. For example when I want to send my documentary soundmix to a video-editor but making channels for:
1. full music mix
2. sound effects
3. set noises
4 spoken words / dialog

If Apple starts adding support for this in Final Cut X and Adobe in Premiere this will be killer for many people in my opinion.
It might be killer for video editors, not so much for sound desigers. They will have to deal wit all the stuff video editors arrange to the picture, and especially deal with te bias of the directors. Some editor uses a mean mp3, the director loves the sound and you have to somehow get him to accept your work over that crap mp3. I hope Apple won't include that anytime soon...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Ronin

01 Apr 2015

Love how you guys totally didnt even read the thread and assumed it was about the native instruments stems, but in fact it is about the OP exporting stems and transferring tracks in projects...

ScuzzyEye

01 Apr 2015

Ronin wrote:Love how you guys totally didnt even read the thread and assumed it was about the native instruments stems, but in fact it is about the OP exporting stems and transferring tracks in projects...
I noticed that, but figured the OP's question was answered, and followed where the thread went. There was also another thread, I think in the Kitchen, that was about the NI format. That's probably how the detour happened with the responder thinking this was that thread.

selig
RE Developer

01 Apr 2015

Ronin wrote:Love how you guys totally didnt even read the thread and assumed it was about the native instruments stems, but in fact it is about the OP exporting stems and transferring tracks in projects...
Just blindly responding to what I'm reading…   ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information