Massive Bass Line

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
clone

26 Mar 2015

How can this massive bass line be made, can this be done on redrum?

How do you make such a bass line with out drowning out everything else? Any Breakage fans in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poPAWf-CLUw

Ronin

26 Mar 2015

The bass is all sub. Makes it easy really. Its not fighting the drums. Just highpass the drums a tiny bit if needed.

selig
RE Developer

26 Mar 2015

For starters, always check out the frequency display and see if it reveals any clues.

By checking a section of just the drums, and comparing to the bass, you can see they each have their own octave and are each very harmonically pure (sine waves, as Ronin mentions). 

Here's the drums, note the kick just below 80 (if you watch in real time you'll see it sweep down in pitch like an 808, starting just above 80 Hz) :

Now compare to the bass line which is down near 40 Hz. The bass line is only two notes, a half step apart, so you can consider them the same FWIW. 

By using simple tones and keeping them around an octave apart, the two can live side by side in perfect harmony! Obviously tricks like this don't work on songs with a moving bass line…   ;)
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-03-26_at_6.41.32_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-03-26_at_6.41.32_PM.png (74.06 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Selig Audio, LLC

clone

27 Mar 2015

Thanks guys, I mess with eq but don't fully understand frequencies just yet. Thanks for the help.

submonsterz

27 Mar 2015

hmm I just whipped up a little r7 file on how I start with stuff like this .
might help ya out but I do things all wrong so I`m told lol.
don't worry if ya no have plugs used I renderd the file out at end of the two version loops so just press play :) .

https://www.mediafire.com/?6i05563au8p5du7

only a small download with the audio renderd too at just over 2 meg.
peace.
subs.

p.s.
I used redrum for the bass
as you asked if it can be used, and to show it can and is simple enough.

submonsterz

29 Mar 2015

Lol I take it my example file (that has been downloaded a good few times I might add)
Didn't tick ya box then clone ??.There is a few other good ways to achieve it as well especially if things are not as separated as that . Ie kick and bass in same range then you'd use minimal sidechain on bass on kick hits so it ducks but not heavy just enough for couple of db if that. then at same time have same kick dynamically cutting the eq at kick frequency on bassline. Lots of ways .

clone

29 Mar 2015

Thanks for the input submonterz,

I'm still working on this sub not drowning drums and synths. 

Going to try side chaining next.

• Information