Combinator buttons act as switches? Possible to have only one on at a time?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

26 Mar 2015

Trying to program a Combinator in which the buttons act as switches. Whereas if you have Button 1 on, and turn on Button 2; Button 1 would turn off. I will feel really silly if there is something simple I am overlooking here...

Is it possible to have the Combinator buttons act as switches where only one is on at a time?

Thanks! :)

-008'

26 Mar 2015

Don't think you can do this with the combinator IIRC.

However, you *may* be able to handle this better inside the Combinator, by programming Thor's "modifier" buttons 1& 2. ?? IDK. Its hard to say, I'm not in front of Reason at the moment. I'm working from memory, but I rememeber hitting this wall before. :)
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

PSoames

26 Mar 2015

008 is right.

But there is no reason why you can't switch one device/parameter on whilst switching another device/parameter off using a single button; just switch the mins and maxs around.

Although, without knowing too much about the situation, that may well be irrelevant.

stratatonic

26 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:Trying to program a Combinator in which the buttons act as switches. Whereas if you have Button 1 on, and turn on Button 2; Button 1 would turn off. I will feel really silly if there is something simple I am overlooking here...

Is it possible to have the Combinator buttons act as switches where only one is on at a time?

I googled the Prop forum as I remember the thread about this, but of course got "the forums are closed" message. (Shitheads...sorry, I'm still pissed off at the VAPOURIZATION...)

Rob did this a few years ago - at least some things are not LOST FOREVER!
http://www.reason101.net/101-creative-r ... ps-part-2/

Check out #4 on this page...hope it helps

joeyluck

26 Mar 2015

Thanks everybody for the responses.
joeyluck wrote:Trying to program a Combinator in which the buttons act as switches. Whereas if you have Button 1 on, and turn on Button 2; Button 1 would turn off. I will feel really silly if there is something simple I am overlooking here...

stratatonic wrote: I googled the Prop forum as I remember the thread about this, but of course got "the forums are closed" message. (Shitheads...sorry, I'm still pissed off at the VAPOURIZATION...) Rob did this a few years ago - at least some things are not LOST FOREVER!
stratatonic wrote: Check out #4 on this page...hope it helps
Unfortunately this still does not achieve the desired result. Honestly, I'm not sure what this does that isn't already natural for the Combinator...? 

What I am after is one button on at a time; One button engaged at a time.
Rob's method still allows all buttons to light up simultaneously.

I am looking to assign the buttons to pattern selections of a device.
The last button you hit will engage that pattern, but the previous one is still lighting up which is a bit confusing.

Perhaps it just isn't possible...

joeyluck

26 Mar 2015

This is not the intended device, but as an example so you can see how it is behaving...
Each button is assigned to Patterns 1-4 respectfully. However, I'm trying to make it so that one button entry disengages the other on the Combinator.

It's misleading looking at the Combinator. And if you want to go back to pattern 2 after engaging pattern 2 and then say pattern 1, you will need to turn pattern 2 off on the Combinator and back on again... 

Redrum_Button_Example.cmb.zip
Attachments
Redrum_Button_Example.cmb.zip
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

stratatonic

26 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:Thanks everybody for the responses.

stratatonic wrote: I googled the Prop forum as I remember the thread about this, but of course got "the forums are closed" message. (Shitheads...sorry, I'm still pissed off at the VAPOURIZATION...) Rob did this a few years ago - at least some things are not LOST FOREVER!
joeyluck wrote:
Unfortunately this still does not achieve the desired result. Honestly, I'm not sure what this does that isn't already natural for the Combinator...? 

The last button you hit will engage that pattern, but the previous one is still lighting up which is a bit confusing.

I'm at work right now, so I can't check this out, but IIRC from 4 years ago (!), pressing a combinator button would trigger the next thing you wanted, while disengaging the previous button.
Problem being, is that doing so would not turn off the "light" of the previous button (even though the effect was  'off ').

It does what you asked for in your post, but it does get confusing because of the on/off light situation. Which is why there was a "reset" knob on the combi to get all buttons back to an 'off ' state.

It's the best that can be done with the combinator for what you are looking for.

joeyluck

26 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:

stratatonic wrote: I'm at work right now, so I can't check this out, but IIRC from 4 years ago (!), pressing a combinator button would trigger the next thing you wanted, while disengaging the previous button.
Problem being, is that doing so would not turn off the "light" of the previous button (even though the effect was  'off ').

It does what you asked for in your post, but it does get confusing because of the on/off light situation. Which is why there was a "reset" knob on the combi to get all buttons back to an 'off ' state.

It's the best that can be done with the combinator for what you are looking for.
Thanks. Yes, it's the light situation I was trying to tackle...

Raveshaper

26 Mar 2015

The only thing I can think of would be to build a midi codec and bind it to the combinator you want to switch, but this runs into two problems: you need to control it with hardware, and you can't apply two midi mappings to one control.

If you built a codec, you would need the default button behavior to control the buttons as if they were pressed individually, but also a second set of mappings that would apply a negation of whatever button mapping was last pressed. The logic of that gets very complicated very quickly.

I would suggest sending notes into a BV512 and using the modulator to carrier exploit to create a 4 position cv switch Instead. In fact, if you looped each cv signal over EMI, you could get the combinator button behavior you want by locking a codec to the combi.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

joeyluck

27 Mar 2015

QwaizanG wrote:The only thing I can think of would be to build a midi codec and bind it to the combinator you want to switch, but this runs into two problems: you need to control it with hardware, and you can't apply two midi mappings to one control. If you built a codec, you would need the default button behavior to control the buttons as if they were pressed individually, but also a second set of mappings that would apply a negation of whatever button mapping was last pressed. The logic of that gets very complicated very quickly. I would suggest sending notes into a BV512 and using the modulator to carrier exploit to create a 4 position cv switch Instead. In fact, if you looped each cv signal over EMI, you could get the combinator button behavior you want by locking a codec to the combi.
This would be a Combinator for use by everybody using that device. Unfortunately it sounds like it isn't possible. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Thank you for the idea though :)

jappe

28 Mar 2015

QwaizanG wrote:The only thing I can think of would be to build a midi codec and bind it to the combinator you want to switch, but this runs into two problems: you need to control it with hardware, and you can't apply two midi mappings to one control. If you built a codec, you would need the default button behavior to control the buttons as if they were pressed individually, but also a second set of mappings that would apply a negation of whatever button mapping was last pressed. The logic of that gets very complicated very quickly. I would suggest sending notes into a BV512 and using the modulator to carrier exploit to create a 4 position cv switch Instead. In fact, if you looped each cv signal over EMI, you could get the combinator button behavior you want by locking a codec to the combi.
Hmmm this discussion is interesting. I'm fairly sure I didn't see this thread when writing this post yesterday:

http://www.reasontalk.com/post/show_sin ... stcount=31

Or perhaps I saw it but wasn't aware of it lol!?
Just funny that when I mention tweaking combinator knobs I find a thread about similar things written just a little bit before.

jappe

28 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:

stratatonic wrote: I'm at work right now, so I can't check this out, but IIRC from 4 years ago (!), pressing a combinator button would trigger the next thing you wanted, while disengaging the previous button.

joeyluck wrote:
Thanks. Yes, it's the light situation I was trying to tackle...
Perhaps if you design a combinator backdrop entirely made up of pressed and unpressed buttons in a confusing pattern, then it would be less of a problem that the lights for the other buttons don't go off when you press a button.
If you'll find the button to press, that is  :crazy:

kloeckno

28 Mar 2015

If you use Thors, you can make that. But, your MIDI controller has to send the button presses as a momentary-type switch. So when you let go of it, it doesn't stay active.

Then, you need 4 Thors in the combi. Each one is assigned to a button, and has the other 3 connected as CV inputs. Then in the mod matrix you can set it up so when one of the other buttons is pressed, all the other Thors are switched off.

I made this exact setup to make a guitar-FX switcher, so the guitarist in my band could switch between different FX settings with a foot pedal. But then I got the Zvork SL-1, which made the whole thing obsolete!

I would suggest getting the SL-1, it does that and more. You can route the combi buttons to a CV output with Thor or some other device, and use the gate CV inputs on SL-1 to change the set. Then turn knob 1 to 100% on set A, knob 2 to 100% on set B, etc. Then you have your switch!

• Information