Looking for an unexpensive way of triggering a device by foot

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ayello

25 Mar 2015

Hi !
i 'd like to trigger just one button of Polar while i m playing guitar
i was wondering if a regular simple footswitch could be modded to do this simple fonction : on/off

thanks

normen

25 Mar 2015

If you know your way around arduino thats pretty easy to do. I suggest using a micro, you can get a firmware for that which makes it output USB-MIDI directly over its USB interface. Theres also generic switch-to-midi devices from e.g. Doepfer. Finally, many audio/MIDI interfaces and MIDI keyboards have switch button inputs that work via a jack connector.

Ayello

25 Mar 2015

Thank you @normen
I didn't tought of the sustain pedal in my midi keyboard

kloeckno

25 Mar 2015

Ayello wrote:Thank you @normen
I didn't tought of the sustain pedal in my midi keyboard
You can also find sustain pedals that are "latching", which means they stay on or off until you press it again. Like a toggle switch. Depending on what you're doing, you might not want to have to hold the pedal down the whole time!

kloeckno

25 Mar 2015

normen wrote:If you know your way around arduino thats pretty easy to do. I suggest using a micro, you can get a firmware for that which makes it output USB-MIDI directly over its USB interface.
I can vouch for Arduino micro. I just recently made a fully functional MIDI ribbon controller that is about a meter long! I set it up to play a 4-octave range, and it's basically a giant pitch bend wheel. It's a lot of fun, and I've only had very basic coding experience. The whole thing only took me a week or so to put together and program too!

• Information