"Old" Jet sounding Riser/sweep help

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
eox

24 Mar 2015

Okay, so I know this is a very old song and please, no one take my man card for posting this :P haha..anyways, there's a riser/sweep effect I remember hearing a lot in the late 90's early 2000's and I haven't heard it in quite awhile and I was curious if anyone here could recreate it or knew it's origin. I love the sound and I've been wanting to recreate it for my own productions.

http://youtu.be/kOL7aeIDruA
You hear it starting at 0:16 - 0:21

There's another one
http://youtu.be/GyKE1k_x_40

In this one you hear it at 3:03-3:08 and they sound similar to me. Kind of like a jet flying by and I just love the way it sounds! Anyways, I know I've been posting a lot here lately but I rather open these discussions here on reason talk than anywhere else and get the advice from you guys whom I hold high regards for! Thank you!

selig
RE Developer

24 Mar 2015

Mostly if you think "jet" you're hearing a flanger effect. In both cases there's more going on than just a flanger - I also hear a reverse effect and filter opening on a drum loop in the first example, and in the second there's at least two flangers going (opposite directions, maybe?).

The key to "hearing" the flanger effect has to do with what you send it. If it's harmonically rich, it will sound more flanged. Consider the extremes: white noise (all frequencies) vs a sine wave (one frequency). If you feed a flanger a sine wave you'll basically just hear the one frequency get louder, then softer, etc. But if you feed it white noise, you'll hear every peak and dip the effect creates because there is an audio signal at every frequency being affected by the flanger - make sense?

So sending something like a distorted guitar (distorted ANYTHING, because distortion adds overtones) will accentuate the effect more than a clean guitar. Also, sounds that sustain will work better than very transient sounds, so pre-compressing the sound will also help bring out the famous flanger effect. 

Like many things, the source is as important as the actual effect IMO.

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Exowildebeest

24 Mar 2015

I thought Nelly was a rapper :/

Anyway: flanger indeed, and maybe you can try something which might go well with a flanger and which has possibly been used here, bandpass/lowpass or even highpass filtering with a bit of resonance.

ScuzzyEye

24 Mar 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:I thought Nelly was a rapper :/
Nelly is a rapper, Nelly Furtado is a singer/songwriter. She was involved with that Timbaland controversy of him ripping off SID tunes. But that was her second album. This track is from her first, and the whole thing is rather good.

• Information