How to test how much cpu REs are using?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Purpleb

21 Mar 2015

Get ready for probably a dumb and extremely simple question :s0717:

I hear a lot of people say things like this RE uses a lot of cpu or this RE uses a little cpu, etc., how do you actual test that or know?

Thanks

ScuzzyEye

21 Mar 2015

Stick the RE in the rack, play some notes, or send audio through it, and have a look at the DSP meter. If it goes up a lot, it uses a lot of CPU. If it hardly moves, it doesn't.

Or you can make a new project, and keep adding the same device to it (in series or parallel will make a difference--series is worse for CPU usage) until you get the computer too slow message. Count how many devices you have, compare that to another similar device, and you can infer which one uses more CPU.

tibah

21 Mar 2015

I would go for the "max instances possible" way of testing:

If you have an instrument - create one, play a polyphonic or rather abstract, arpeggio kind of sequence into the sequencer. Hit ctrl+d to duplicate that device until you hear crackles or get the "computer too slow" message.

If you have an effect - insert some random audio file / loop. Put that effect into the insert effect slot in the mixer channel. Ctrl+D on the sequencer track will again create copies. Repeat until you notice crackles / computer too slow.

Now that will get you a basic idea about one device. The trick though is to actually remember those things in your daily music making process. Basic approach - remember stuff that is heavy and remember stuff that is light, balance if needed. If you have some heavier stuff for your foundation, add lighter stuff for the background, balance between inserts and sends, replace rather "simple" synth patches with NN19/NNXT patches to compensate etc. ;)  I use the goodies for the foreground, or if a static sampler patch simply won't work, like loads of modulations  and changes you simply can't do with a sample patch. Less noticeable stuff, background, fillters, little top-lines go in the background. RV7000 can be used all over the place on insert everywhere on a modern machine (i5 / i7), but if you have TSAR or RPverb, that should definitely be used as a send. Maybe you come up with your own rule-set, but these are some ideas I have. :)

Also, I pretty much also try to purchase new toys via this method. Decent ReFills compensate for Antidote multiple voice count stack. Subtractor comes in to play when there is just that little lead-ish top synth missing. Parsec comes into play for the same reasons sometimes, because it's so freaking light. You get the idea.

The idea is either balancing performance or deal with the idea of bouncing stuff to audio, depending on your way or working. Because there is a limit, no matter how much power you have, so I try to avoid moments that would, eventually, take from my mood / muse with certain "habits".

submonsterz

21 Mar 2015

ya best going to ya local audio store and asking for a "long wait" dsp measure.
:) .
any good audio store worth its weight in salt will give the long wait version.

electrofux

22 Mar 2015

The first thing i do when i have a new RE is duplicate it in idle state and look how the DSP meter behaves. I know idle state is not comparable to how the device behaves when actually used but it gives me quick notion about what it means if i have a device sit in the rack and if i can spam it all over the place or not.

For example Antidote is very light when just loaded. And you can actually use it as an Envelope generator (one of the few the lets you control all stages via CV) and dont have to worry. On the other hand Ivoks or ABL just sitting in the Rack cost you alot of CPU even if they dont do anything (proabaly because of the free running Oscillators).

challism

24 Mar 2015

A quick and easy way....  (but only for units with a bypass switch)  toggle back and forth from "on" to "bypass" and watch the DSP meter rise and fall.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information